Apocalypse 2

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Eigen
Rookie

Re: Apocalypse 2

Post by Eigen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:15 am

What we need is a huge centipede-train thingie for the Necron. I don't know why really, just it'd be cool.

I'm REALLY excited about the Hydra kit rumour for Apoc2 because maybe we'll FINALLY get interceptor on the Hydras once GW is making money on the models again!

Also, put me in the camp with everyone else on the Corny Khorne.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:57 am

Eigen wrote:What we need is a huge centipede-train thingie for the Necron. I don't know why really, just it'd be cool.
You mean like the two kits Forgeworld sell?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/New_Stuff/N ... TINEL.html
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Danguinius
Veteran

Post by Danguinius » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:00 am

I think MIJ has a point; this is certainly different than the 40K I started playing back in 3rd edition. The toys are getting so big (and some of them are downright silly) and yet necessary to play the game. I think a car is now necessary to play 40K just to transport one`s army to the wargaming site. I wonder how my humble Blood Angels are supposed to take out a Riptide, Wraithknight, or this Lord of Battle/Deathdealer? I`m sure the "solution" from a GW marketing perspective is: I should buy a new army with a one of these giant toys (or multiples if I want to be competitive) until the Blood Angels Codex is updated with it`s own "solution" , the Blood-Titan-Mega-Knight! Which codex is due for the next revamp? Space Marines? Everyone ready for the Space Marine Giant Mech?

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:20 am

Ok, yes, I appreciate that "devalues the hobby" comes across as a bit wanky. Gomen, mea maxima culpa and all that. What I meant was, there is an aesthetic and artistic side to what we do. The goffik rockers were silly and fun, but they were humorous and had personality. Likewise the multitudes of snotlings, nurglings and assorted comedy orks. Khorne, otoh, just isn't funny. Nor should he be. FW (trotted out as a comparison once again because nobody else makes models set in the GW mythos) have nailed Khorne very well. Their ogryns, cultists, termis and daemon engines all have a very clear aesthetic, and it ain't pretty. They look mean and nasty. This thing, however, does not look mean or nasty. It looks...daft. Now, plenty of ork war machines also look daft, but that's very much in keeping with the previously established visual style for orks. This model does not look like a Khorne daemon engine. It bothers me in the same way that an Eldar battle tank with crusha-tracks and spikey-bomb-chucka would bother me.

The comment about devaluing the hobby was meant to demonstrate the idea that many people, myself included, approach the game and setting from a visual standpoint. I (and to a far greater extent, other modellers) put a huge amount of effort into making sure the end result of our painting fits the setting of 40k and creates the appropriate mood. It irks me that GW does not do the same. Models like this look bad and are not in keeping with the mood of the setting (as it applies to the faction depicted). Yes, the epic lord of battle was somewhat cartoony looking, but that was twenty years ago at 6mm scale. These days, on a model that big, I expect much, much more.

*edit* I do agree that the horns are one of the strong points of the mini. I would also like to see the back of the model, as the tank bits could be ok. It's the big anthropomorphic doodad on the top that bothers me most. It's juuuuust possible that a better paint job could save it, but based off the current picture I maintain that it looks like a child's toy.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:30 am

Primarch wrote:
I think people need to remember that we are no longer GWs target demographic. The grim dark anti hero style has been replaced by big fun toys (tm). Whereas most of us hated the new daemon designs, the new players I spoke to loved them. Personally I'm all for letting people keep their eyeballs and making up their own minds about these things. I won't be buying one, but I don't mind if someone else does.

It does look a bit daft mind. :D
Agree and agree.

Kids will look at it and the Wraithknight and go, "Woo hoo! It's so cooooool. Mum, I want that one. Please! Everyone is getting one. If I don't have one I will lose all my games. Come on, it's not fair. But whyyyyyyyyy? I'll do the dishes everyday for a month and clean my room everyday. I know I'm supposed to be doing that now, I mean I'll do them really well. I'll do under the bed and everything. I promise! Please!" At which point Mum gives in to make the noise stop. :D After a while kid realises wraithknight is getting shot down by poison weapons in turn one and two and Mum notices that it is gathering dust on the shelf, at which point Mum stores that knowledge away for when Johnny asks for his next GW product. ;) ;) ;)

I understand their business plan and direction, and it is a sound one. If this is what they need to stay in business and make the shareholders happy, then so be it.

Still, it really does look like a Power Ranger villain robot. Have to give it a thumbs down :( .

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:02 am

So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:45 am

The resemblance is uncanny...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:59 am

me_in_japan wrote:Complains about new 40K model.
me_in_japan wrote:Claims to be excited about Pacific Rim.
Oh the irony! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:43 pm

How so? I have never said I had a problem with big monsters. I love a big gribbly as much as the next man, but the recent 40k big things are simply not up to par. They are clumsily designed and look childish. Should the beasties in PR share the same design flaws I will be the first to voice my displeasure with em. I suspect it won't be a problem, though, cos del Toro, unlike the management at GW, actually gives a toss about establishing and maintaining a visual style.

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:50 pm

I had a discussion on the Dark Elf forums a few months back over the supermassive direction of the product...

I was very much supportive of the current miniature range; having almost a 20 year gap of play I'm absolutely delighted with the range of GWs product - comparing my stunty 3rd and 4th edition mini's with the beautifully proportioned and balanced current generation like the Dark Eldar, it is clear to me that it is the best time to be in the hobby.

Before, Dragons were tiny, now they are Dragon-sized!

Before, Avatar's were tiny, now we have awesome Forgeworld beasts!

On the other hand, what I wasn't happy with is the movement towards a cartoonish direction of the image across FB and 40k, which seems to be styled from Warcraft and Warmachine, rather than the other way around - a loss of creative edge IMO. I do agree this "devalues the product". But that is in my eyes, and has been noted, those are not the target demographics eyes!

I've now come to realise that GW are deliberately moving in to the "action hero" range of the market, and the supertanks/MC dynamic is just another power creep to sell new toys to the kids at the expense of game balance.

Disappointing, but its their company not mine (and so far I appear to be a sucker for the nerdtastic :P )

Also, am I in a minority of one of liking the Wraithknight? Before we only had Epic-scale Knights, now we get them in 40k :D
Druchii.net -- Mischief, Mayhem, Dark Elves

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”