Welcome to 40k General

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Welcome to 40k General

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:56 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Actually wasnt it Mkoll?
ah, whoever. Mkoll is hardly an average geezer either, is he? Unkillable celtic doom-ninja, leader of the Gereon resistance, slayer of chaos dreadnaughts, ghostier than a really ghosty ghost. Larkin or Mkoll - either way, the poor ol' mandrake never stood a chance... :cry:
His Plot Armour is strong indeed.

For me, the DE need to be the fastest army on the board. Lots of bait and switch tactics and refused flank etc. The rumours on warseer say that they will be an alpha-strike army that lays the hurt on an opponent in one turn and then tries to mop up the survivors. I dont know if thats true or not but I think a hit and run style would suit the pointy space elves best.
Mandrakes should get something akin to Marbo or Deathleaper, the ability to jump out and say Boo! to whomever they please.
Poisoned weapons are another big rumour and sound like fun.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Best Themed Armies

Post by Dungeon Lord » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 am

This could be a separate topic, but answer me this.

"Which army has the most rules that reflect their fluff the most?"

I was reading the Space Wolves codex recently and really liked the Lone Wolf - Glorious Death special rules (must die in game or give up a kill point) and the Saga Rules (special abilities but comes with a condition that you can ignore but encourages thematic play).

What do you guys think?

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:19 am

I think that dude is very fully after all he is a space wolf.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Best Themed Armies

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:24 am

Dungeon Lord wrote:"Which army has the most rules that reflect their fluff the most?"
I like the IG order system. Something about having some Colonel (safely tucked away at the back) yelling "Charge!" and "Fire at will!" seems very fitting for the army.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 am

IG have their orders, puppies have their berserkerness, and BA have DC and a plethora of special rules. tbh, most armies have some kind of special rule reflecting their fluff. The exception is CSM, who pretty much had every last vestige of fluff excised from their book when they took out the ability to field a halfway competitive single-power list. And power-specific daemons. And warbands. And...well, i could go on, but suffice to say that codex CSM is the most severely de-fluffed codex in the history of 40k. We should call it Baldy.

Tau are also a bit odd, as they are supposed to be a shooty, hi-tech army, yet are no better at shooting than any other army, and less hi-tech than crons or eldar. Yes, they have pulse rifles, but one feels that the Tau are an army with a pretty good gun made to look like a great gun because everything else in the list is so damn crap. They dont shoot as well as the IG, they dont assault as well as a sickly hamster, and they dont psyk at all. What makes em special? their mediocrity? If their codex was full of swanky hi-tech toys that were better than any other races (eldar included. Make eldar the psychic, fragile race) and theyd be onto something. As it stands, Tau are special cos theyre not-better-than-anyone-else-in-any-field. Where are the Tau transforming robots, hmmn? 40mm base robot thinger, can change into a fast skimmer (piranha sized) at end of turn. More than meets the eye, desho?

Anyway. I digress. You asked us to pick the army which had the most fluffy special rules, and for me I think that is the IG. You always know youre playing against IG, cos they play pretty much exactly as their fluff says they should. They line up, and bomb the sUGAR out of you. none of this funny charging malarky from the IG. It's Guns all the way. The orders and whatnot (and commisars) reflect and support this tactic well. Thats my two cents, anyway.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:28 am

me_in_japan wrote:The exception is CSM, who pretty much had every last vestige of fluff excised from their book when they took out the ability to field a halfway competitive single-power list.
Whats that? I cant take single power armies now? Oh, I guess all those marks and icons and stuff are just there to take up space in the carrying cases then. Seems a shame that the codex lets every single infantry units (except oblits and cult troops) take them. What a waste of codex space. Man, I wish the CSM dex was like the old one where every unit could buy an upgrade that gave them a special bonus based on their power. If this were the old dex Spev could field mono-Khorne, Pikey could take mono-Slaanesh, DLord could have mono-Tzeentch and good old M_i_J could take that mono-Nurgle army he has always wanted.

And another thing, it totally sucks that daemons and marines got split into seperate books. Why couldnt they all have been in one book? And why dont chaos get multiple dexes like the Imperials? I just dont get it.

And what about my warbands? I cant field a force all from one legion anymore. The rules forbid me from painting my army in the same colour scheme. Boo GW. Boo Gav and Alessio. How can I hope to field Iron Warriors without 4 heavy support choices stuffed full with IG tanks. All I have left is my random mutations and the ability to field veteran troops with special rules all over the shop. I dont want furious charging khorne bezerkers or thousand sons with sorcerors in their squads. Give me something to represent the fluff of chaos gosh darnit.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 am

Exactly!
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Dungeon Lord
Legend

Post by Dungeon Lord » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:03 pm

O.k So as it stands the IG are fluffy and CSM are just plain fluffed.

I thought last CSM codex was o.k but the only real complaint I have with the old one and the new one is, "THOUSAND SONS STILL SUCK AT PSYCHICNESS!" Ahriman is supposed to be half decent, but isn't and the best power specific power is the slaanesh one...

I want my 2 wounds back! Keep the AP 3 cause everyone is in tanks or in cover. Still at least the new codex allows more options than the old one for me. Last time = no oblates, no jump packs, no bikes no choice.

Still I do like the new I.G. Lots of choice and fluff to boot.

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Yup which is why I have a standing army of one type (cadians), and ad hoc company of two types (tallarn and mordians) which I plan to someday build into two full platoons and I want to do a fourth (catachans) 8-)
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Well IG are not getting my vote there a what are there more of in the Universe Humans Orks or Nids... all three books talk about vast numbers all I can say is that the IG have heaps more bodies on the table than even Orks of Nids... In fact the Swarm army is rarely that... I have seen more nidzila armies that I have swam armies... and the green tied made up of Orks that spring out of the ground when an ork is killed and reach maturity in a mater of weeks is not even close to the mass of humans that BTW have to be born grow to at least 16 years of age and then be thrown in to the IG makes no sense whatsoever. I say that the IG fluff is disproved by the Ork and Nid dex...

Codex movie Marines is BTW the most Accurate portrait of what marines should be like in the world of 40k.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”