Alpha Legion - Loyalists or Servants of Chaos?

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
kojibear
Legend

Alpha Legion - Loyalists or Servants of Chaos?

Post by kojibear » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:37 am

After looking into the 30k Legions, the Horus Heresy and having listened to the audio book 'Deliverance Lost', I am still not sure what the goals of the Aplha Legion were, or whose side they were on then and in the current 40k universe.

I wondered if any of you other lads and gals had learned more in your readings and research regarding this secretive chapter.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Alpha Legion - Loyalists or Servants of Chaos?

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:03 am

The only side the Alpha Legion is truly on is their own.
The book 'Legion' gives more details of why they turned traitor (though like many of the Heresy books, it doesn't really seem justified given the way it is presented). Unlike the other legions though, they didn't really follow Horus' vision for the future. Never really trusted by their allies, even before the Heresy, the Alphas are potentially the largest, most dangerous and most unpredictable legion.
Some of the FW HH books shed a bit more light on them and the short story The Serpent Beneath (I think it's called) gives a lot more insight into the Alpha Legion's thinking.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks Prim.

Some discussion also points to a possible division of loyalty between the two twin Primarchs. That would be interesting, especially as it is not entirely concrete as to which of them was killed by Guilliman. Hell, with these guys it is possible that Guilliman didnt fight either of them, but rather one of their marines just wearing their armour.

A very interesting legion indeed. I enjoyed the Legion story.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:41 pm

It's a possibility, though Guilliman would probably have chopped even the best legionairre into pieces in seconds, so it probably was one of the twins. I think though that the 'twins' storyline is newer than the 'Guilliman kills Alpharius' fluff. I don't recall having heard of Omegon prior to the start of the HH novels. So we will just have to wait and see how it all pans out. By the time Black Library get around to doing it, it'll probably be limited to a print run of ten books that spontaneously combust after you turn each page. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”