New Eldar

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Primarch
Evil Overlord

New Eldar

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:17 pm

Coming soon with the new Fall of Cadia campaign...

Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: New Eldar

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:09 am

Right. Hmmn. thoughts...

super-swirly-daemon-dude: Generally, I like this. Nice and swooshy, and has the potential to look pretty stonking with a more menacing paint job. The swirly thing will be an ass to paint, though.
Fighty dude: boring
Corset Chick: very nice. I think I might even want to buy this. I see the set of Imperial ones (and they only come as a set...) is 11,000yen or so. But a little digging online shows it for 6400yen, which is a bit more palatable. That's for 5 minis, mind you, one of which is a big ol mechanicus guy. Eldar may be cheaper (Ha! I jest. Course they won't.)

Anyway, I like em. I also like that GW are moving on the timeline. Yay Ynnead! Yay death of the Imperium. Boooooo silly name change for eldar. But y'know, if that's what it takes to give 40k a kick in the arse, I'll happily call em Aeldeariaiaiaiai till the cows come home.

I think GW are actually doing this right, imho. If they go full Age of Sigmar and have Grand Alliances, I have exactly zero issues with combining the Eldar. My only concern is the Corsairs will be left out in the cold due to their ForgeWorldiness. Meh, a selfish concern, I know, in the grand scheme of things. The Imperium (marines, guard, inq, sisters et al) are fine as one faction, and chaos marines/LatD/Daemons are fine. Nids, Crons, Orks, Tau are a sticky wicket and no mistake, but honestly could probly be combined into a "everything else" Grand Alliance book. I sincerely hope they completely tear up the current rules and start afresh, a la AoS. Not necessarily the same actual rules as AoS, but a 4-5 page base ruleset with keywords seems to be a good idea. I just want to use my 40k minis for a fun game that doesnt require 6 or 7 rulebooks to run one army.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:10 am

Whirly-gig birth-deformity guy looks good. The rather static chap in the armour is well sculpted, but bland and not very dynamic. The third figure looks suitably alien and bizarre, more like a civilian than a soldier. All in all, I'm sure they'll be nice figures if Eldar are your thing.

As for the game itself... I have been steadily selling off bits of my collection for a while now. I haven't gone the whole way like Pikey, but that is more down to being too lazy to package up a large pile of minis in one go. I like where GW are going with the range (Stealer Cults, Admech and Deathwatch) and the basic rules in 7th are really no better or worse than before. My main issues are well documented elsewhere I'm sure, but largely come down to special rules for everything. On the few occasions that I have played, it seems like so many things are twin-linked, reroll wounds, ap2, ignores cover, large blast or some combination thereof. Don't have enough special rules? Put your units in a formation and get more. I hate the new Codex format. 1 Page = 1 Unit? Gah! Plus having to replace 6000 yen books at 2 year intervals is prohibitively expensive in a game already famous for being overpriced. Yeah I can get digital books 'cheaper,' but I actually like real books made of murdered trees.
I really, really can't build any enthusiasm for the game anymore, which is a real shame as it is such a great setting. I read Unremembered Empire from cover to cover in one day last week, it was great. But when I come to look at buying, painting or playing with minis, 40K isn't even a consideration anymore.

TL,DR - Nice minis, shame about the game.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:56 am

The horn sticking out of the new Eldar god's head has a surprising resemblance to Tyranid chitin plates. :?:

But, yes, well the models themselves look quite nice, but would not really fit in with my Exodites that well, so I won't be investing any money in them. Like Prim and Mike, I am down sizing my 40k as well. Having one faction for 40k and one for Horus Heresy is more than enough for the amount games I play of the system each year.

jehan-reznor
Champion

Post by jehan-reznor » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:06 am

Like the red guy, the woman is clearly a cenobite and the ynnead avatar looks too much like a Slanneesh demon prince IMHO

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:44 am

Yeah, my first thought is the first guy is Fulgrim, not an Eldar IMHO.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”