A new edition is coming... New 40K discussion thread!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: A new edition is coming... New 40K discussion thread!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:48 am

I maaaay have found the answer. On pg 214 of the BRB, it says (regarding Choose Armies--> Reinforcement Points) "You must set aside some of your points in order to use these units. The points you set aside are called your reinforcement points, and need to be recorded on your army roster."

So, am I to infer from this that I can choose to use summoned daemons in two different ways?

1. set aside reinforcement points, summon them later. They dont take up FO slots, and their faction keywords are irrelevant, as theyre not part of the army
2. choose them as part of a detachment and deploy them normally. Faction keywords are relevant, and they also take up FO slots.

is that right?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:58 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I maaaay have found the answer. On pg 214 of the BRB, it says (regarding Choose Armies--> Reinforcement Points) "You must set aside some of your points in order to use these units. The points you set aside are called your reinforcement points, and need to be recorded on your army roster."

So, am I to infer from this that I can choose to use summoned daemons in two different ways?

1. set aside reinforcement points, summon them later. They dont take up FO slots, and their faction keywords are irrelevant, as theyre not part of the army
2. choose them as part of a detachment and deploy them normally. Faction keywords are relevant, and they also take up FO slots.

is that right?
That's the correct reading, yes. Daemons who start on the table need to go into a force org chart, summoned demons do not.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:25 am

Spev and I finally had a bash at 8th edition on Sunday last. It gets a big thumbs up from us, since it played faster than any other incarnation we can remember, whilst losing none of its 40kness. We even squeezed two games in- unthinkable given the amount of chinwagging.
The changes to how WS and BS etc are represented are obvious positive changes really (roll this number or higher you fool), but certainly make things zippier. To wound and save rolls a cinch too. It's the little things..
I played Tau for the first time against orks. First battle was a training sesh, we each took HQ and a couple of units each. Next bout, I took some stealth and battlesuits and tried to stop the tide of rusting metal in the form of Mus' kans and deffdreads.
Got flattened both times! Thoroughly enjoyed it! More please!
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:55 am

Yeah, I had a full 2000-points-in-7th-edition battle on Sunday and it took like 3 hours - admittedly, we both had elite armies (and neither of us had analysis paralysis) and called the game in turn 4, but all the same I'm really liking how fast it plays. Heck, even our team game later in the day, at the same points value, usually a Recipe for Taking a Really Long Time, finished in 3 hours or so.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:37 am

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, I had a full 2000-points-in-7th-edition battle on Sunday and it took like 3 hours - admittedly, we both had elite armies (and neither of us had analysis paralysis) and called the game in turn 4
So it took 3 hours and you finished due to time constraints? Or was one of you nearly tabled?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:47 am

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, I had a full 2000-points-in-7th-edition battle on Sunday and it took like 3 hours - admittedly, we both had elite armies (and neither of us had analysis paralysis) and called the game in turn 4
So it took 3 hours and you finished due to time constraints? Or was one of you nearly tabled?
No, the scenario, placement of models, and marine objective-holding rules meant that there was just no way he'd be able to capture or contest the objective during turn 5 - his closest unit was tied up in CC with a dreadnought so couldn't have tried to assault or wipe by shooting the squad of terminators I had on the objective, and those were his only options to shift them.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am

I see. Using tactics and strategy to win! :o Disgusting! I hope you're proud of yourself. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:40 pm

While I am Bad at Wargames in general, I can seize the occasional chance when it presents itself. :lol: :lol:

Hmm! Guard news: buried in the Mordian preview is a new little special rule for all Leman Russ tanks - they can fire their man gun twice, at no penalty, if they move half their maximum move rate or less. Does a lot to make up for the swingy number of attacks on the battle cannon I reckon.

Edit to add: Also the Catachan preview is a bit unintentionally hilarious. See, their regimental ability is to re-roll dice on what used to be blast weapons - from a fluff standpoint, this is pretty clearly to make them really good at using flamers. Then the article goes on to note that a good unit, therefore, for the Catachan is... the deathstrike missile launcher. :roll: Because ICBMs are such a fluff-appropriate weapon for a regiment patterned after Vietnam jungle fighters.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:43 am

...Because if there's one big glaring gap in the Primaris range it's a superheavy?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... per-heavy/

(I mean, it's FW so it doesn't care about anything but "does it look cool" but still.)
-----

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:43 am

The Other Dave wrote:...Because if there's one big glaring gap in the Primaris range it's a superheavy?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... per-heavy/

(I mean, it's FW so it doesn't care about anything but "does it look cool" but still.)
Meh...not a fan of the whole repulsor look...although I guess it's better than the awful "track/wheels" on that Imperial guard vehicle - what was it? The Tauron?
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”