Kill Team 2018 in July

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Kill Team 2018 in July

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S59MhIkziGs

Here's more or less the roundup of the rumors I've been hearing:

The company does plan on keeping support for the game ongoing, following a Necromunda / Shadespire model of an evergreen core box and regularly-released supplement boxes as time goes on.*
The previously-teased Rogue Trader is the first of those supplement boxes.
The core box will be Skitarii versus Genestealer Cults.
As we know the core box will also be "launching" their Sector Imperialis terrain line, it seems not-unreasonable that it will also launch at least some of the teased new GSC kits, possibly leading to the GSC codex later in the year.
It's (to some unknown degree or another) a new ruleset different from 40K 8th edition and entirely different from Strike Force, with alternating activation a la Necromunda, leader abilities and fun stuff like that.

*The "dropped like a hot potato" support for Strike Force Armageddon was mostly, apparently, because they had no idea it would be so popular (it being launched by Old GW, who did no market research and had no meaningful communication with fans), and its success was part of what led them to decide to release a "proper" 40K skirmish game in Kill Team.

If they sell the rulebook separately I'll be all over it - if it's only available in the box I'll figure something out, but if the rules are any good I'll definitely be interested in playing.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Kill Team 2018 in July

Post by job » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:39 am

Uhhh... Skitarii and Genestealers!
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:16 am

I’m curious about this. Like Dave, if there’s a stand-alone rulebook, I could be convinced. Quietly watching from the wings for the mo, though.

Incidentally, is it not a fine thing that GW are releasing a big ol box game featuring AdMech and GSC as the principle factions? Would never have believed it, a few short years ago...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:45 pm

Speak of the devil!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

And it looks like the core rules will be available separately (yay!) and they'll have all kinds of expansions - terrain expansions with terrain, a game board, and some rules cards; kill team expansions with some models, some terrain, and some rules cards; all kindsa good stuff. And the page there goes to great lengths to reassure the reader that yes, they're planning on supporting this for the long haul, so that's reassuring.

I'll definitely be picking the rules up to see what's what.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:21 pm

Edit to add: Also, you gotta love their Q&A:
SO, GO ON THEN. WHAT’S KILL TEAM: ROGUE TRADER?
Wouldn’t you like to know! If we had to hazard a guess, we’d say it was some kind of expansion
to Kill Team that looked at Rogue Traders. If we tell you anything more, the Inquisition will have
to start executing writers, which tends to lead to delays.
Far be it from us to suggest that Kill Team: Rogue Trader is just one example of how this new
game allows us to explore heretofore unrealised corners of the the 41st Millennium, not to
mention the new factions and models available after launch...
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:03 pm

The new terrain kits look nice. The old Cities of Death stuff (of which I have a box full) is ok, but tends to be quite fragile as pieces don't really lock together. Hopefully GW have improved upon their previous designs and these new pieces are a lot more resistant to being transported to the venue. The statues are a nice touch as well.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 pm

I like what I see. It requires not much of a buy in for any active 40k player (or any inactive player with a collection of models hanging about). It also gives a nice reason to collect small numbers of individual or small sets to enjoy assembling and painting.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:18 am

Primarch wrote:The new terrain kits look nice. The old Cities of Death stuff (of which I have a box full) is ok, but tends to be quite fragile as pieces don't really lock together. Hopefully GW have improved upon their previous designs and these new pieces are a lot more resistant to being transported to the venue. The statues are a nice touch as well.
People seem to love the Sector Mechanicus stuff and the ruins they've made for AoS, so they may be on to something with their terrain design.

I don't really need the city terrain as it doesn't mesh with my "ruined outpost" vibe, but if the Sector Mechanicus "Killzone" box is reasonably priced, it will probably tempt:

A bit of scatter terrain to spice up my 40K table, plus a board and some rules and stuff for Kill Team could be tempting.

(Although, as I look into it, the chances that those sets will be pricey seems high. The straight terrain box here has only 4 sprues' worth for 10,000 yen and the Killzone box has 8. Unless they're giving a huge discount on terrain in the Killzone boxes, that could end up being a lot. Guess we'll have to wait til later in the month when the pre-orders go up to see.)
-----

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:09 am

I will be curious to see how this turns out, too. I've always enjoyed 40K on the smaller scale.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Konrad wrote:I will be curious to see how this turns out, too. I've always enjoyed 40K on the smaller scale.

Goes for me as well. I enjoy the Grim Dark but don't always like lugging three cases of miniatures around all the time, so I do hope the rule set will be fun. The alternating turn system sounds promising, so let's wait and see!

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”