Which Space Marine legion would you have thrived in?

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
kojibear
Legend

Which Space Marine legion would you have thrived in?

Post by kojibear » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:18 pm

The other day my fellow gamers and I were chatting away about this while waiting for some lunch. On the train home I was thinking about it some more and really got to wondering about it. Maybe it is my love for the 40k Grimdark, or my university psychology studies rearing its head, but I thought I would make a few questions that a Legion Sorting Hat (shameless Harry Potter reference :) ) might ask.

Feel free to answer the questions if you are interested, add more questions, or suggest a legion to those who have answered.

Here are my train-ride-home created questions for your pleasure:

1. What has motivated you to the most anger and how do you deliver your wrath; is it a dish best served cold or piping hot?
2. What qualities in an individual would earn your respect, faith and loyalty?
3. How do you prefer to confront your enemies?
4. Upon completion of your training as a warrior, which weapon would you pick up from the armoury?
5. Do the ends justify the means? Where on the line would you place yourself?
6. If your personal acts of courage and heroics went unappreciated and unrecognised would you be disappointed, or is your own self-worth enough to satisfy your ego?
7. Is the principle role of a soldier to seek out threats or to defend against them?
8. What do you imagine yourself doing when you are not engaged in war and/or training for it?
9. Which title would you bestow upon the humans assigned to crew your vessel, servant, bondsman, crewman, or other?
10. What is your most redeeming and most destructive trait - one each for physical and mental qualities?

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Which Space Marine legion would you have thrived in?

Post by job » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:11 pm

1. Sons of Horus: raging. Perturbed logic. And too proud to admit when you’re wrong.
2. I like people who are pragmatic and civil. Kinda like Horus. Before he became uncivil and maniacal.
3. Well, I don’t confront people or commit revenge... but in my darker hours... I suppose luring my enemies into a trap and virus bombing them into oblivion has its attractions... or blasting open their front doors with siege artillery and letting loose axe-wielding berzerkers...
4. A sword, then have it daemon possessed. Or cursed to make pansy Blood Angels squeal.
5. Of course. It’s about the result, not the process. Otherwise it wouldn’t be pragmatic. Or self-serving.
6. Definitely throw a fit and have a tantrum on a galactic scale.
7. Seek and destroy and grind and smash and brood and seek and destroy more.
8. Enjoying some amasec and enjoying the memories of the plots hatched.
8. Menial. Indentured. Bonded.
10. Personality: I can be nice to people and I can be a total sulking s—-.
Physical: I catch things that are falling but the skill goes entirely unrecognized by the world it has never been witnessed and acknowledged. And I’m extremely pale under my shirt. Like make cameras go blurry with glare white.
Last edited by job on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:28 pm

1. I can take most any amount of shit directed at myself, but throw some at my family, and that's when angry happens.
2. Honesty. Trustworthiness. Loyalty.
3. I prefer not to. Enemies are best avoided. They'll bring about their own downfall eventually anyway.
4. Sniper rifle. A xenos one if possible (and yes, I know, heresy and all that, but frankly railguns and hypersonic poison shuriken are just plain cooler than boring ol' bolt shells)
5. Where "1" is "Even killing a pussy cat to save the galaxy is wrong" and "10" is "hell yeah I'd murder babies if it meant saving the world" I'm probably about a 7, but there'd have to be real strong evidence to persuade me.
6. Totally self-worth driven. Don't care what people think of me, unless those people are people I know personally and care about.
7. Defend. (But sometimes the best defence is...)
8. Scrimshandering or something like that. Possibly techy stuff like tinkering with my guns and armour and making small improvements. Something creative in a physical sense.
9. Crewman, with variations for rank. No need to disrespect the folks that fix up your armour and whatnot.
10. Redeeming traits: Physical - I'm quite tall? Mental - I'm very patient.
Destructive trait: Physical - Could do with a bit of a workout, frankly. Mental - I lack initiative. I'm definitely a follower, not a leader.

I'm thinking Alpha Legion, meself, but who knows? (and I realise that kinda goes against the Loyalty thing, but they actually are very loyal, just not to anybody who isnt Alpharius.)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Oh I think I’d see MiJ as a Salamander. You know smithing away on a new artifact to perfection. Patient and not glory seeking. Incrementalist. Absorbed in the details.

Hey, but what do I know, especially about loyalists. I’ve mostly played the heretic marines.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 pm

1st Legion, see my avatar. ------------------------------------>
Honestly, a desire to control everything, unnecessarily complex system of rules, an obsession with being better than my peers (at least in a way I care about) and an inability to deal with people outside a specific group. I think the 1st have it for me.

1. What has motivated you to the most anger and how do you deliver your wrath; is it a dish best served cold or piping hot?
Ooh lots of things, but vengeance is best served at the opportune time and in a suitable fashion, be it the absolute destruction of my enemies or a sucker punch to a laughing wolf.
Respect, faith and loyalty in equal measure.
With a sound strategic plan, knowledge of their weaknesses and at a time and place of my choosing.
4. Upon completion of your training as a warrior, which weapon would you pick up from the armoury?
A sword. The classic symbol of authority, nobility and chivalry. After that I'd start collecting anything that looked useful.
Yes, yes they do.
6. If your personal acts of courage and heroics went unappreciated and unrecognised would you be disappointed, or is your own self-worth enough to satisfy your ego?
Oh, I'd feel disappointed, but when those falsely raised above me inevitably failed (or fell to chaos), I'd feel totally justified in a smug 'I told you so'.
7. Is the principle role of a soldier to seek out threats or to defend against them?
Surely they are one and the same. You shouldn't wait for the danger to approach your home, you should go on a glorious crusade and destroy the danger where it lurks.
8. What do you imagine yourself doing when you are not engaged in war and/or training for it?
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Surely you are either engaged in battle (gaming) or preparing for it (building and painting).
9. Which title would you bestow upon the humans assigned to crew your vessel, servant, bondsman, crewman, or other?
Vassal.
10. What is your most redeeming and most destructive trait - one each for physical and mental qualities?[/quote]
Redeeming mental quality - A somewhat obsessive level of focus on doing the things I want to do.
Destructive mental quality - Ok, so my people skills aren't all that good.
Redeeming physical quality - My rugged physique and long flowing locks. :lol:
Destructive physical quality - Lethargy + Apathy to physical activity = Me.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:57 pm

Primarch, the Emperor’s sorting hat needs but a touch of your scalp to know your destiny lies with the sons of the Lion. Just watch out for old mentors with a jealous side-given glare; best to keep your enemies close than send them to detention. :D

Job, the sorting hat deliberates with you for some time as your fate could be woven into the destinies of a few legions. Yes, your pragmatism and civility combined with a juxtaposed rage in the heat of battle could see you do well amongst the sons of Horus. But your pride, need for recognition and likeness for seige artillary would also be advantageous amid the sons of Perturabo - the Iron Warriors. But also, perhaps the fact you don’t really wish for direct confrontation, your pale skin - coverted by many a seven-dwarf mining troupe ;) , and quick reflexes could serve you well in the Raven Guard.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:10 am

For MiJ, the Sorting Hat of the Emperor is inclined to agree with Job’s assessment. With your impressive height, desire to protect those close to you, a preference to stand and hold and a tinkerer’s and artisan’s soul, the sons of Vulkan would surely do well with you amongst their brotherhood. The question is how well do you do in the heat and do you like to purge with righteous flame? :D

As for yours truly,

Hmm... injustice and cruelty, and an indifference to those you come across who are in need of your help. Serve it hot. Serve up some moral morsels with a good helping of piping mashed potatoes.

Empathy, Creativity, Humbleness and Determination.

With respect and resolve. I will show them fury but without guile or mockery that the vision of the Emperor is the path to enlightenment.

Definitely would pick up a sword first and give it a good flourish, black pirate roberts style. :D

In the middle I guess, but leaning towards saving all kittens. I would make the hard decisions but would do so only after exhausting all other possibilities.

No I do not need excessive gratification or appreciation and may feel uncomfortable receiving it unless it was from someone close to me. However, my honour is important to me and I would to much to restore it if it was in question. I would not seek promotion or leadership but would not refuse it if my peers offered it and had faith in me.

A combination of both I suppose. However, if I knew a threat was approaching I would probably go out to face it rather than waiting for it to come to me. Though it would be situation dependent I guess.

Something creative I suppose. Something to take my mind off of thinking too much about second guessing my past decisions and delving into the darkness of hindsight.

Crewman, most assuredly.

10. What is your most redeeming and most destructive trait - one each for physical and mental qualities?

Physically, In the moment the drive to do well and to prove myself, I will push my body past its limits, and then suffer for it later.

Mentally, I am very loyal and respectful, but I will question my superiors (respectfully) if I think they are wrong. However, I can annoy people with my silence if I feel wronged. Though I try not to share my grievance I have of someone with others around me unless they are particularly close and I want their advice.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:39 am

@ Koji: Totally agree. I do have a predilection for toys that walk around with big guns. And I do like to the company of my axe wielding psychopaths. Truely I think I’m for the Black Legion - where I can be from any stripe so long as I want to see the Galaxy burn. (I kind of feel disturbed by my Space Marine psychoanalysis. :D It dawns upon me now that the rest of you have been feeling that way already. :o )

If I may give a go again at the sorting hat:
Give Koij a goregous chalice filled to the brim with blood to go with those piping hot potatoes, some form-fitted gilded breastplate and grieves that show off well defined 6-pack and handsome calves, and a set of fairy wings. I think Kojibear is cut in the image of Sangunius. I’ll avoid mentioning the claw while being civil.

But what do I know. The Blood Angels are loyalists.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 am

Just in general, the fact that I'm a pessimistic, depressed, petty, bitter nerd* means that the Iron Warriors are the only choice for me. :lol: The fact that they dig miniatures wargaming is just icing on the cake.

*Exaggerating the negative aspects of my personality for comedy purposes here, don't worry, heh.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:24 am

OK I'm in, although my 40K lore doesn't really extend to the HH. I kind of liked it when it wasn't really explained, just a destructive event where the details were lost over time. There isn't always a need to go back and flesh out every little detail of everything (see Solo movie...).

Anyway...

Like someone MiJ said, I can ignore most personal slights, but keep my family and friends out of it. Revenge is cold.Revenge it should be well planned and effective, driven by the cold of logic, rather than the heat of passion.

You get what you give. Giving loyalty, faith and respect should mean it's reciprocated.

When I am most ready and they are least.

Having done European fencing (foil and epee), SCA and kendo in the past, definitely a sword. A big one.

On occasion. The 'justify' is very subjective. To a humanitarian the saving of a life may be worth any cost, probably not so to the economist. Would I sacrifice one life for 100? One world for 1000? It is not unthinkable.

Appreciation is always appreciated (heh), but not necessary.

As in our world, both. To only perform one role leaves you with one eye shut. (note: seeking out doesn't mean invasion, it can be intelligence gathering, spying, etc.)

As an 8 foot tall, genetically enhanced, brainwashed superhuman? Probably preparing the tools of battle and researching my enemies.

Gary. I would call them all Gary. Crewman Gary.

So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”