Warhammer 40K TTS - How to hammer your wars in the Age of Nurgle

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Warhammer 40K TTS - How to hammer your wars in the Age of Nurgle

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:45 am

The most popular way of playing 40K (and many other games) when we can't see each other face to face easily is in Tabletop Simulator. This is a framework for manipulating boardgame pieces etc in a 3D space that mostly relies on fan extensions to work rather than officially supporting anything (you may be familiar with this model from Battlescribe). Because of this, the instructions to get up and running are a bit indirect - I'm going to link you to resources where you can find the things you need, rather than directly, because I'm not sure if those links will stay live and I don't want to put grey zone stuff on Nagoyahammer out of consideration for this principled and upstanding community.

That being said it's pretty easy to get set up, play some great 40K and earn RP for your Crusade :)

Step 1: Buy Tabletop Simulator on Steam. It has some tutorials that help you learn the basics of moving things around, I would suggest playing through them before confusing yourself with 40K stuff.

Step 2: Go to the 40K Tabletop Simulator Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/TTSWarhammer40 ... this_post/ - this will give you a Discord link to follow. If you don't have a Discord account already, it's worthwhile as it's a handy way to do voice calls for gaming as well as giving you access to lots of gamer communities.

Step 3: On the Discord, go to the download_links channel and follow the instructions to download and install the TTS Forge Mod Compilation

Step 4: Get your army together! Start up Tabletop Simulator and create a singleplayer game. Browse into your saved games, you should have folders for all the factions, and inside will be save files of all the armies (or dozens of files if you're Space Marines). Open the one that looks best for you up. You should see something like a table full of minis. Select all the ones you want (either ctrl + click or just move them all together and drag a box around them), right click and choose "Save Object". Give them a name (like "Space Wolf Crusade Combat Patrol"). You can now load that object into other maps, which is how you get your minis into an actual game.

Step 4a: You may not be able to find everything you need from the mod bundle. That's OK, on the Tabletop Simulator page in your steam library, go to Community and then Workshop, and search for the things you're missing (for example my Impulsor, Smash Wolf Lord, Intercessors and wolves all come from the mod bundle but my Incursors are their own workshop package and Ragnar was in a big bundle of named characters and such someone put together in the workshop). Hit the Subscribe button for the workshop package you want, the next time you start Tabletop Simulator you'll be able to go into it and save an object like you did above, you'll just find it under the workshop tab rather than saved games.

Step 5: Play some 40k! Easiest way is to play with someone who had some TTS games under their belt, sing out - so far Karantu and I both have some experience, I'm sure many more of us will soon. Otherwise, go to the next step to set up your own map.

Step 6: There's a ton of maps and things, the one I use is "War on Seven Fronts: 40k 9th edition maps hub" on the workshop. When you start that up (start a multiplayer game, give a server name and password), you'll see a ton of useful 40K things like dice rollers, points counters etc but no actual map. Off in a corner is a weird little interface where you have to press an "i" button in the field, which changes to "lock" which you need to press, then you can press the globe with a 1 button to get something like a system map. One of the options is "Battlefields", click into that. There'll be lots of buttons, click one that has "30" rather than "60" for the size of games we're generally playing. You should see a "build" button appear near the interface. Click that. You'll get a fair bit of loading as the map and a ton of terrain load in. You'll need to organise the terrain yourself to get a good 9th ed map, but you'll find if you hover your mouse over a piece of terrain the tooltip will show its 9th ed traits, super handy. Select all the terrain once you're done, right click and select Toggles > Lock to stop it moving around. There are also controls near the board itself that can show deployment zones, if you right click on the button for the mission type, right click on it and select state, there should be a state for each mission that will show the zones on the board.

If you get through all that and are looking for some games, yell out, there's plenty of us eager for good dice rolling times and racking up RP for our Crusades :lol:

Mattb
Veteran

Re: Warhammer 40K TTS - How to hammer your wars in the Age of Nurgle

Post by Mattb » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am

Thanks for the info. I've been meaning to get TTS for a while now for boardgames so I'll probably try it out.

What do you use for VoiP? Just discord?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:51 am

Yeah, we've been using Discord.

Mogus
Rookie

Post by Mogus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:46 pm

Is there a link to your discord? I'd love to join ya'll :D

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:07 pm

We weren't using a channel since it was just the two of us at that point but we could use this one that I set up a while ago.

Edit: new link
Last edited by Karantu on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:59 pm

Oh I was a bit late and the link expired, sorry. Do you mind sending that invite again?

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:06 am

Here's the new link.
This one shouldn't expire.

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:02 am

Karantu wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:06 am
Here's the new link.
This one shouldn't expire.
Thanks!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:25 am

Hmm! It was half off so I picked it up - but I seem to have hit a snag at step 4: I got the files and put them in the directory it said to, but nothing's snowing up in my save games when I go to open one.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:33 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:25 am
Hmm! It was half off so I picked it up - but I seem to have hit a snag at step 4: I got the files and put them in the directory it said to, but nothing's snowing up in my save games when I go to open one.
🤔

Mine's in Documents/My Games/Tabletop Simulator/Saves - are you on PC and if so is that where you're sticking them? Is there a config in TTS for where your save folder is?

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”