Squats!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Squats!

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:49 am

I like it, and applaud the masterful double bluff on GW's part.

I think the rock and hard place they were in with the design was why it took so long to come back to them. Much as I love Slam Sector, they really couldn't just straight update their original sculpts (although I reckon there is still room for a more lightly-armored unit that looks like the Necromunda model), and once you get rid of the no-longer-really-fitting-40K "biker gang" models and the very-much-stepping-on-Space-Wolf-toes "straight-up viking" models, there isn't too much to work with. "Beards, padded jackets, and visored helmets" do not a rich vein for design make. And I really think the setting could use a human (or human-adjacent) faction that shows that no, the Imperial way of doing it is not, in fact, the only option for humanity.

I do wonder what happened to the Demiurg, though.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:10 am

I'd like to see a variety of tribes (or leagues, if you like) with a slightly different aesthetic but an overall shared culture and look. Like goffs, deff skullz, blood axes, snakebites etc. We could have "generic sci fi" league of votunn, "hairy bikers" league of zz top, "chonky exo armor" league of chonk, etc. All squats, all like their booze, all a bit Celtic, but distinct in their lifestyles. That'd be good.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:36 am

There's a kill team, right there. Not my work, I might add. I couldnt draw a picture if my life depended on it 🙄
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:21 am

I could see Grumpy making a pretty good 40k squat/space dwarf, but I’m not sure Sleepy would last even a day in the Grim Dark future. (Ms. White already knows something about purging witches, so I’m sure she’ll make Canoness quickly.)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:11 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:36 am

There's a kill team, right there. Not my work, I might add. I couldnt draw a picture if my life depended on it 🙄
I want to see this movie!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:30 am

And I feel I should comment, being one of the, as far as I know, 3 people in Japan with Squats.

Yeah, total rock-and-a-hard place design wise, absolutely. On top of Guard and Marines taking all the historical themes, there are tons and tons of other folk, Mantic for example, who have been making Squat-ish figures for years. Not much to work with and come up with something original. I remember reading somewhere, a Rick Priestly interview maybe, that Squats sort of turned into the joke army. It was impossible to make anything that felt dignified for them. I mean even the name is a joke. So, they let them pass into obscurity. Or to be eaten by the Tyranids, it was even hinted at in the flavor text in some rule book or another!

But anyhow, solid looking design. Nothing flash. Maybe they will sort of go for a gritty, asteroid-miner. independent space-explorer sort of thing, an "The Expanse" vibe? Who knows? But power to them. Vortunn? What ever. Guard are Guard. Squats and Squats.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:00 am

The remaining Votann are now up for preorder in Japan and thus the army is finally a thing here. I have grown my backlog accordingly.

I've been playing them a bunch online and I like them a lot; I'd say they're a glass cannon but it's more they're especially demanding on the opponent to hit the right units with the right kind of aggro. If so, and especially if I haven't screened well, they collapse. If not, they will kill absolutely everything they can see.

That lethality is driven by the Judgement Token system, so you can play around it to some extent by limiting what the Kahl can draw LOS too (or assassinating them if you have the means). I really like the Judgement Tokens, the dwarves get very properly grudgy, but it does go a long way to eliminating the failure gate of wound rolls, and it emphasises good conventual saves/AoC rather than toughness or invulns.

I think they're definitely not busted in their current state (they would 100% have been as printed), but are reasonably demanding to play against. I'll definitely be waiting for a PL update in any case before playing them IRL, I've been guestimating PLs based on the points increases for online because their as-written PLs are hilariously OP.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:19 am

I should also mention I'm a fan of their lore, having got the Codex and read through with the army box a while back. They're clones that live in and strip for resources the most hellish places of the Galactic Core, then feed the memories of their dead back into their AI gods, driving them slowly insane. It does a good job of covering why everyone thought they were dead (you only see a small % of the population because you really don't want to be where the rest are), giving them a veneer of being different and in many respects superior to the Imperium, and then whoops properly grimdark after all :lol:

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:00 am

" I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die."

Clones?! Really! When I was into 40K and into Squats I was thinking that would be a cool idea. I was even writing up some home-brew Squat rules......15+ years ago .....with sort of that theme. I should read some lore.
I wonder if I have those old rules on a thumbdrive somewhere?
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”