40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: 40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed May 24, 2023 3:31 am

The change to Custodes Ka'tahs looks like it captures a fair bit of the flavour of the previous ones while being easier on the brain meats. It's strictly fight phase stuff so missing some of the earlier effects but you also don't have to sequence them ahead of time.

Hilariously half the Emperor's Champions ability (4+++ against mortals) is still good enough to be a Detachment Ability by itself. Given mortals are exactly how you'd want to deal with Custodes I think it'll hold up.

The sneaky Fights First on Trajan's sheet is amazing even if it's once a game, charging his unit is an incredibly bad idea.

Sisters of Silence are no longer completely immune to psychic (and barring a strat have no protection at all against powers that don't do mortals) but with a 3+++ vs mortals they are useful against more things, and with lots of anti-psyker are hilariously better at offence into psykers.

Keen to play them, still looking forward to seeing what they do with the Combat Patrol (hilariously nerfed sheets? Only use a subset of the models?)

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed May 24, 2023 3:59 am

For a force that is supposed to be a bunch of individual warriors fighting on their own initiative, all of them doing the same combat stance at the same time seems a bit odd.
Also, sisters don't appear to have an army rule.

They do look like a very elite force though. Great stats, good saves and the option to bring models back from the dead should all help keep some of them on the table long enough to do some damage.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed May 24, 2023 5:20 am

Fielding Sisters of Silence by themselves is not really a thing in 9th ed 40k (or Kill Team); while you can do it it's not supported in any way that makes it a good idea. So it's not surprising to see them missing out on the army rule and obliged to go with what their datasheet brings like an allied force; wouldn't be surprised if they get a strat or two and an enhancement though.

I hope Aleya is good, she's a favourite from the Chris Wraight novels.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 am

I think both Custodes and SoS have a lot more options in 30K, but then you're paying FW prices. Despite having their own army list, Sisters still aren't really viable as a stand alone force there either. They lack any heavy ranged weapon options and only have meltas to kill heavy armour. Plus about 1/2 the army doesn't have minis yet.
All that said, I'm surprised they didn't get any army rules at all in 10th. Strangely they are as tough as Custodes against mortal wounds despite one of those groups being the most advanced examples of trans-humans in the setting and the other group being unaugmented mortals.

And SoS should totally be a KT option, that's their entire thing. None of this armies and battles nonsense. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed May 24, 2023 9:17 am

Primarch wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 am
I think both Custodes and SoS have a lot more options in 30K, but then you're paying FW prices. Despite having their own army list, Sisters still aren't really viable as a stand alone force there either. They lack any heavy ranged weapon options and only have meltas to kill heavy armour. Plus about 1/2 the army doesn't have minis yet.
All that said, I'm surprised they didn't get any army rules at all in 10th. Strangely they are as tough as Custodes against mortal wounds despite one of those groups being the most advanced examples of trans-humans in the setting and the other group being unaugmented mortals.
Immune to mortals would have been too strong, immune to psychic (their old power) I guess doesn't fit 10e.

I reckon they might get a Detachment that buffs them to a greater extent in the Codex.
And SoS should totally be a KT option, that's their entire thing. None of this armies and battles nonsense. :lol:
They are - in fact they can also join the new Inquisition team* as muscle to help out the Acolytes if you're expecting psychic opposition, as well as their role in the Compendium Talons team. But if you mean as a standalone option - well, fingers crossed they show up in a KT box with new models or an upgrade sprue some day.

* Consequently, I have somehow ended up with Sisters of Silence 21-25 :?

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Wed May 24, 2023 11:08 pm

The Orks are looking solid. Waaagh! Is slightly nerfed since it only lasts one turn now (and you declare it at the start of the round rather than your command phase), but it's still really solid - army wide advance and charge is just amazing. Losing the charge reroll hurts, but gaining exploding 6s is a pretty good tradeoff.

Also I'm shocked that choppas get to keep their AP-1. I also noticed that the beast boyz went up to a 5+ save - if all boyz get this it could actually make a green tide army somewhat viable! (Not that my Evil Sunz care - vehicles are no. 1 :lol:)

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed May 24, 2023 11:38 pm

Ghaz lost his phase cap too but can join a unit of very solid Boyz so I don't think he needs to worry about casual shooting.

I assume Phoenix Lords will lose their cap and join Aspect units, I wonder if the C'tam will get it or if the mechanic will be gone for good. I doubt it'll be much missed.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue May 30, 2023 10:17 pm

Drukhari get a resource mechanic instead of just getting stronger over the game, but can spend it on rerolls (remember: it's still counts as less rerolls as long as 9th had more, which it did even if the gap appears to be closing :lol: ) that should be very powerful.

GSC preview is probably more interesting because they're such a difficult army to play in 9th. I think the change to the ambush tokens sounds really good, because it's less galaxy brain in the first turn but the ability to make the opponent play whack-a-mole throughout the game preserves the chance to change the game with skilled play in a more interactive way with a better distribution of cognitive burden. They're still going to be strong I think but it'll be easier to actually approach their theoretical strength on the average game day when you haven't played them in a while.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 30, 2023 10:56 pm

The Dark Eldar special rule definitely has a 'win-more' feel to it. The further ahead you are, the better it gets, which helps you pull ahead even more.

The GSC rule seems thematic, but I wonder if the fact that your Battleline units can be respawned multiple times per game will be figured in to their cost. With a few lucky dice rolls you can effectively field a 4000 point army in a 2000 point game.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 pm

I'm not sure the power is in the actual respawning so much as the ability to force a lot of movement on the opponent to stop the respawning. It definitely lets you set up some tough choices.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”