40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: 40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jul 22, 2023 12:29 am

I think it's a complete non-issue at the club. If anything, it's the opposite: if you wanted tournament practice games you'd need to arrange that specifically. Otherwise people are basically just showing up with the models they like and those may as well be Legends.

I get the impression the "all tournament style all the time" dynamic was more true in the past and maybe it's still true in some places but GW have done great work in supporting Narrative (Crusade got a *ton* of stuff in 9th and a launch book for 10th) and non-tournament Matched Play (to the extent the excellent Tempest of War actually invaded tournament play for 10th, not the other way around :lol: ). The distinction between normal play with the Leviathan deck and the Leviathan tournament pack counts here too. I see a *lot* of people talking about playing Crusade online (and Tempest in 9th) so I just don't think it's true anymore outside isolated groups and actual tournament prep.

Also like Dave said there's question marks over how much the vocal internet minority actually plays. Tournament players tend to be more chill IME, or at least worked up about different issues :lol:

I haven't seen anything in Legends that puts it anywhere near the salience of "playing Aeldari, Custodes, Knights or a Primarch". I tried my 30K list online and it wasn't bad but nowhere near the best Marine list I could put together.

I'd fuzzily say the etiquette should be:

1: Don't play an overtuned list without prior arrangement (I've been guilty of this when thinking "oh, Custodes are fine right?" :oops: ). It's a fuzzy standard but nobody will be bringing lists that anticipate the upper ends of the meta.

2: Do your best to get the terrain right (if there's anywhere where you want to copy tournament play, the GW layouts are probably it)

...long list of basic courtesies, aisatsu, don't use the worst faction dice you can find for real rolls Jye, being packed up by 4:30...

XXth: Ask about Legends

One good habit I think is probably bringing some substitutes for the spicier units in your list so you can tone down a bit. I think I'll do that for this month - Bobby G is a really powerful force multiplier who can elevate a middling Marine list so even just being able to easily swap him and out would help me pitch a fairer game.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:25 am

Playing what's by all accounts a very undertuned, non-spicy faction is sort of freeing that way. :lol:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:08 am

Balance Dataslate is out, big nerfs to Custodes, Knights and GSC; Aeldari got hit as expected but with the extraordinary depth of their Index they will still be strong.

Desolation Marines can now only be taken in squads of 5, limiting the ability to abuse Bolter Discipline with them.

Lots of points cuts for nearly everyone else. Death Guard got a huge glowup with points costs and an *extra* Detachment rule giving a bonus contagion effect chosen from a list of three.

There are some core rule changes. Towering now just lets you see out of ruins you toe into, it no longer allows you to just ignore ruin visibility rules. Overwatch does not work with indirect (requires the target to be visible) and Titanic units can't use it. Abilities that change strat costs or let you use them more than once per phase now only affect the Battle Tactic strategem type, so a bunch of strats that were really powerful to double up on are now ineligible.

Looks like a good slate. Hopefully that means more games work like the middle of the pack ones that have been good so far.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:35 am

The fact that devastating wounds aren't mortal wounds any more is pretty big too for some situations.

I have to say the changes do look pretty good for me. The bonus effect on contagion alone would have made me happy (-1 save to anything in contagion range seems pretty juicy) but the points drops mean my 2000 point list can drop in a lord of contagion and deathshroud bodyguard and still have 125 points left over. With the models I have, my only real option is 9 bases of nurglings, but that's probably a perfectly cromulent area-denial pick.

Unfortunately, the "just fine-ness" of those adds (even if they're "free," 4" move terminators with melee weapons on foot aren't great) makes me think of getting new models. :lol: So maybe after I get Epic started!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”