40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: 40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:43 am

Primarch wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:37 am
*If you are playing against Eldar, simply skip turn 1, remove your most valuable unit(s) from the table and then start the game from turn 2. :lol:
See, they kept some of the traditions of the game alive :lol:

I think you're probably on the money with 30K and 40K deliberately pursuing different design paths from an otherwise reasonably similar base. My review of 30k would sound pretty similar to yours of 40K so I think they successfully market segmented us!

They might regret that for sales of their 30k kits to 40k players if Legends isn't normalised in the community, but in principle it makes a lot of sense. Give the different tastes and playstyles natural homes.

(I'm going to give the Legends stuff a try at some point. Depending on costs I might be able to go mostly Legends at 2K and sprinkle in Relic Terminators to close the gap while staying on theme. I expect this will be an average to bad army in 40k but it should be fun)

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:31 pm

https://www.warhammer-community.com/202 ... mer-40000/

Rules for converting 9th edition Crusades!

They are uh, extremely minimalist. Mostly you convert units to points, retool them if you feel like it, and then give them 10th upgrades to replace their 9th upgrades.

I'm pretty keen to convert and continue my Crusades, especially the Taran Heresy, but mostly just to use the their expanded Supply Limits in an edition where there's more pressure on your Requisition Points. Unit experience I can take or leave, especially with all the new units to try out, and the different role for characters in the new edition. I didn't use my smash Wolf Lord much after getting her to max XP anyway, and I'd probably be better off starting a new 0xp Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf with the same name, for example.

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:19 am

10th! Oh, what an edition.

Hot take: If you have army wide lethal hits, don't forget you have army wide lethal hits. like I did. for two games.
It was fun though!

Quick question: can more than one unit embark in the same transport provided it has the model capacity? for example: can 2 five man intecessor squads led by characters embark in a landraider?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:01 pm

jus wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:19 am
10th! Oh, what an edition.

Hot take: If you have army wide lethal hits, don't forget you have army wide lethal hits. like I did. for two games.
It was fun though!
Yeah you're going to want to remember that one. Wound rolls suck, don't make them if you don't need to!

Quick question: can more than one unit embark in the same transport provided it has the model capacity? for example: can 2 five man intecessor squads led by characters embark in a landraider?

Yes!

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:19 pm

1. You have to take a character model. After that, you can take whatever you want. Units will be of a fixed size, and there are maximums you can take as Jye mentions. 1 of each Epic Hero, 6 for Battleline units and 3 for everything else.
Does that mean I van spam as many smash captains as I want as long as I don't take 3 that are the same? 3 in Terminator Armour, 3 on bike, 3 with jump packs...
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:33 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:19 pm

1. You have to take a character model. After that, you can take whatever you want. Units will be of a fixed size, and there are maximums you can take as Jye mentions. 1 of each Epic Hero, 6 for Battleline units and 3 for everything else.
Does that mean I van spam as many smash captains as I want as long as I don't take 3 that are the same? 3 in Terminator Armour, 3 on bike, 3 with jump packs...
Yes it's totally doable.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:50 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:

You probably don't want to do this now characters give most of their value from leading units, but nobody can stop you :lol:

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:17 pm

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:50 pm
Balloonacorn wrote:

You probably don't want to do this now characters give most of their value from leading units, but nobody can stop you :lol:
How about a whole army of heavies? I don't know if I like this system.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:17 pm

Yep, aside from the rule of 3 you can do what you like army-list wise.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:57 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:17 pm
How about a whole army of heavies? I don't know if I like this system.
The wheel has turned and they're currently on "try to make you want to voluntarily take a variety of units'. I'm sure compulsory Battleline will be a thing in the future but for now I think they're taking a fair crack at it.

All heavy is very doable and has the advantage skew always does - your opponent may not have planned for it.

It does have some opportunity costs though:

- You have restrictions on what units characters can join and they're only rarely vehicles themselves. So depending on how heavy we're talking you may be constrained in your choice of warlord and find it awkward to use other characters you want.

- Every unit has a special rule and some lighter units have great ones. Marines for example get awesome buffs from Incursors and speeders, so even if you slant towards heavy you'll find a lot of other units on your wishlist.

- unless your opponent skews back you want a variety of offensive profiles to deal with their variety of units. There's far fewer does-everything-well weapons in the game and investing in fewer units makes it harder to have a diversified portfolio (though not impossible - they laughed at all the extra guns on the Primaris vehicles but who's laughing now? :lol: )

- Objective play is very important and Tempest of War style random secondaries are usually optimal. If you don't have lots of mobile units to go do the thing, you'll be constrained to fixed objectives which pay out more steadily but less and can't generate CP like the random ones.

- Marines will be incredibly grateful to you for focusing your resources into a small number of units that are optimal targets for Oath of Moment. Doubly so if they deploy Guilliman.

While Knights exist it's a playstyle the game needs to cope with anyway 🤷

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”