40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Jye Nicolson
Legend

Re: 40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:19 am

I belatedly realised I screwed up the Feel No Pain strategy on my Iron Hands Eradicators in my game against Matt last game day, despite having used it dozens of times before. I confused the rider on it (it's better if you have a given Warlord Trait) with another similar rider on their Overwatch strat (where it's better if you have the Iron Hands chapter trait rather than a successor trait).

That just would not happen in 10th. As much as I enjoyed 9th, roll on detachments, down with all rules being on all the time :lol:

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:33 am

So they previewed a whole bunch of Daemon, Death Guard, Eldar and Imperial Guard datasheets on the official Twitch channel over the last couple of days through a couple of 10th ed games.

Daemons are looking pretty solid, but Death Guard players are basically giving in to their inner Nurgle worshipper and just despairing over everything. They don't look that bad to me, but I don't play the faction.

But woo boy do Eldar look strong - they utterly crushed the Guard army they were up against. I really hope they're an outlier because that army alone is enough to make me question the "less lethal" claim of 10th.

My Imperial Guard are looking ok, I guess. A lot of our ranged damage has been reduced significantly, but Guard units haven't become tougher to compensate. I think Guard overall will become quite a tricky army to play. In saying that though, I really love the way they balanced artillery: it does much less damage now, but instead gives enemy units hit by them a debuff. -2 movement to things hit by a basilisk and -1 to hit for things targeted by the Wyvern.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:42 am

Death Guard also have some movement debuffs IIRC. Their theme is less invincibility (we have Custodes for that) and more dragging you down into the muck with them!

Agreed Craftworlds look *pretty good*. Too early to call them being OP but they're sure as hell not bad. I'm still confident of 10th's relative balance at launch but I'm glad they've committed to a schedule of points updates and balance dataslates because I expect we'll still need them.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:58 am

The Eldar seem to be getting a lot of discussion elsewhere on the web. Being able to re-roll hits/wounds and just straight cheating in dice to trigger Devastating Wounds looks borderline broken at best.

From what I've read on the Deathguard threads, they seem to have no problems mulching infantry, but the player base is upset over the lack any decent anti-tank guns and the loss of their best defensive options.

Apparently the armies previewed so far have all had a points drop of about 10% compared to 9th, but I have no way to verify that claim. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:35 am

I'm sure the DG online player base has has an explanation for why one of their models that has an ability called Tank Hunters, looks awesome and is relatively cheap is not good anti-tank.

Seriously if Blight Haulers aren't overcosted on points they'll do work and everyone loves the cute little things.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:03 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:35 am
I'm sure the DG online player base has has an explanation for why one of their models that has an ability called Tank Hunters, looks awesome and is relatively cheap is not good anti-tank.

Seriously if Blight Haulers aren't overcosted on points they'll do work and everyone loves the cute little things.
People do love to complain. :lol:
Even with that ability it is still only wounding heavy armour on a 4+.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

jus

Post by jus » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:31 pm

Hi, quick question about the shooting phase.

Every model in the unit you selected to shoot with can shoot at every model in target unit as long as at least one model in the shooting unit can see even just the tip of one target unit model's gun and is within range.

The shooting model then blasts it to death with everything doing, say 68 wounds. So models in the target unit, even those who were not visible and or not within range to start with all take sving throws or get vaporised.

Is this right?

Thanks

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:41 pm

Correct, same as 8th and 9th. This lets the defender allocate attacks to models in cover and stops the attacker blocking their own LOS to chaff to snipe the models they want to.

It is part of the reason why you need a decent amount of LOS blocking terrain and why Ruins work the way they do, so you can actually hide whole units.

Edit: every model in the shooting unit still needs to be able to see at least one target if they all want to shoot though. You make all the shots that were legal when you choose targets for the unit, even if casualties are subsequently removed, but an individual model can't shoot at a unit it was unable to see at that time.

Edit edit: the abstraction is probably easiest to understand as "models shoot units"

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:06 am

Primarch wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:03 am
Even with that ability it is still only wounding heavy armour on a 4+.
I think that's going to be a common experience for a lot of factions this edition with the army you have on the table.

There's definitely some huge guns that are good for the anti armour job but they also tend to be low shots and probably aren't cheap points wise, so rolling 2s there is going to really hurt. Shooting into armour is likely to be a riskier proposition in general this time, less reliably picking up tanks in a single round of shooting.

...I should paint more Knights...

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 am

OK thanks!

So if only 3 models can see the unit only those 3 can make shooting attacks? A model must see the unit to shoot the unit- makes a lot of sense. That's a good way of putting it.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”