40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: 40K 10th Ed. Discussion Thread

Post by Primarch » Sat May 13, 2023 3:15 am

WE were always going to do one thing and they look like they'll do it pretty well. Their Warcry mechanic looks like they'll always be able to get some army-wide buff, though not necessarily always the one that you will prefer. It does seem to have some flexibility built in to it, so you'll always be able to choose something useful. Angron looks scary, as he should, and his potential ability to respawn at full health means you can't be sure of killing him. Three 6's on eight dice (with re-rolls) is not impossible, so a WE player can be as aggressive as they like (fitting) without worrying about losing their key model.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Mattb
Veteran

Post by Mattb » Sat May 13, 2023 11:20 am

Huh, World Eaters are the first preview I feel slightly disappointed by. The blood tithe was such a great mechanic and completely fit devotees of Khorne. Its very strange that they would scrap it. Every round being left up to random chance as you fish for doubles and triples sounds fun, but it feels far more like a fickle Tzeentch thing, not Khorne.

Still nice to see that they'll demolish the fight phase though. Also good to see Angron get nerfed a little, but still look incredibly dangerous.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon May 15, 2023 10:50 pm

I think the new Khorne rules, while random, do reduce the amount of bookkeeping the WE player needs to do. From what I have seen of the Blood Tithe rules, they do fit the army better.

And now we have the Ad-Mech with their very binary special rule. All your army stands still and gets a bonus to hit and effectively better armour, or all of your army moves and gets assault weapons and better AP. Meanwhile their detachment rule can absolutely maul any MSU armies before the game really begins and severely cut down on any castling/turtling on your opponent's side of the table.

The Skitarii weapons look very specialized and very nasty. The Arc Rifle causing D3 mortal wounds on vehicles on a flat 4+ to wound seems quite mean. Even the standard Radium Carbine auto-wounds infantry on a 4+.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue May 16, 2023 12:57 am

I *like* the AdMech rule but unless there's more to it I'm iffy on how powerful it is. I think you take a couple of mortals on a squad holding your home objective (depending on timing for when you need it) or that will be seizing a close objective and maaaaybe a unit you're desperate to use a strat on first turn, otherwise you just let everyone get battle shocked.

Would be more consequential if you score in the first battle round, I have to reread the missions article 😅

Edit: at least on the Take and Hold mission in the preview you don't score round 1. You may for secondaries. But overall I'm not sure how consequential being battleshocked in round 1 really is.

Edit: bleeding mortals onto their home units for the rest of the game is pretty funny though, especially if you can push forward and box them in a bit.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 16, 2023 6:16 am

I'm just wondering of there is more to Battleshock than we have seen. We know it drops your OC, prevents the use of stratagems and causes you to fall back from melee. But is that all it does? For example, the WE have a rule that grants them a free move if they suffer a casualty, but it specifically states you can't use it if you are Battleshocked. As the BS rule is meant to represent pinning and suppression, I'm wondering if there will be another penalty on top of what we have seen so far. Pinning/failed Ld in earlier editions could be pretty harsh.

D3 mortal wounds or no turn 1 objectives is a no brainer.
D3 mortal wounds or no turn 1 movement is a harder call.

As for the secondary effect, having your heavy weapon squads slowly falling down during the game won't be much fun.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue May 16, 2023 7:06 am

I think we won't see any more inherent effects to battleshock but there'll be tons of contingent ones. CSM will probably get a "can't believe it's not Night Lords" detachment that interacts heavily with the state, for example.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed May 17, 2023 8:10 am

It looks like Eldar get miracle dice or the filthy xenos equivalent, similar to Sisters of Battle. The Farseer's ability to convert them to 6's looks pretty handy, along with every unit in the army always getting to re-roll one to hit and one to wound roll, every turn.

Didn't GW say something about re-rolls in the new edition? I've forgotten exactly what it was now, so I'm sure it can't have been that important. (insert facepalm emoji here).

The guardians look to have escaped the general troops nerf of the Votann/Ad-Mech and Necrons by all accounts. It would be nice to start seeing some points costs, so that we can compare things more accurately.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed May 17, 2023 8:36 am

As a Craftworlds, Sisters and Votann player I have complicated emotions...but I guess I was setting myself up for that :lol:

There are reasonably substantial leaks of the core rules in the wild - but so far only the core, and not all of it, so still missing crucial context. I like it though, really looking like a refined version of 9th; I won't miss the cruft that's been cut away or cleaned up, and while there are interesting implications for the things that have been changed they're sensible evolutions rather than wild course changes.

The Fight and Charge rules are a pretty good example - surprisingly similar but what you can do and the results you get are much more intuitive. The structures that allowed real galaxy brain slingshot plays are still technically there but you're almost always just going to be clinking models together to make them fight, like you'd expect.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri May 19, 2023 3:05 pm

So, if I'm reading these leaked rules correctly...

A weapon that causes Mortal Wounds doesn't care how tough you are, blasts through any and all armour, ignores power fields, alien tech and the powers of the warp, but can be prevented by a medic putting a bandage over the wound?
In addition, a shot that would normally only hit one model can split into a dozen smaller and deadlier shots depending on its damage value?

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Fri May 19, 2023 4:03 pm

Primarch wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 3:05 pm
So, if I'm reading these leaked rules correctly...

A weapon that causes Mortal Wounds doesn't care how tough you are, blasts through any and all armour, ignores power fields, alien tech and the powers of the warp, but can be prevented by a medic putting a bandage over the wound?
In addition, a shot that would normally only hit one model can split into a dozen smaller and deadlier shots depending on its damage value?
Pretty much! Mortals have worked like that since 8th at least. There were a couple of weapons in 9th that did damage overflow without being mortals but it looks like they're consolidating down to just using mortals to handle all of them.

Like a lot of rules in modern 40k these are abstractions - narratively the rail gun shot pierces through multiple members of the unit and the shockwave hits the rest, or the Tyranid bioweapon explodes one member of the unit in a shower of poisonous gore that gets in the lungs of the others or whatever. It's not a simulationist game.

Tau and Knight previews look good, I'm excited to play both. Tau is another good example of showing the new plan is different to the old while still giving a solid idea how it works (to be fair though, both plans are mostly shooting).

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”