Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:14 am

Regarding terrain, what I am looking for is something 1) durable 2) requiring little work from me to assemble 3) that I can use to either supplement or replace an existing set (so that others wouldn't have to bring their terrain every month, or to add to what they already have).

I like the cardboard set alright, but with shipping, it comes to 20,000 yen. That would be fine if I use it on a regular basis, but if we end up using other people's terrain most of the time, I'd rather not get it.

After looking around, Monster Scenery has some prepainted plastic terrain that it not too expensive, even with shipping (although the exchange rate right now doesn't help..) It is not terribly exciting stuff, mostly trees and rocks, but it looks durable and like it would fit into any type of game.

I was thinking of maybe the Verdant Forest (which has a pond on the flip side of the base), the Bridges and Barricades, and maybe either the Rock Hills or the Broken Ground. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=monster+scen ... nb_sb_noss

I would consider getting one of these mats as well, although I think you are already getting a Malifaux specific one back home, Grantholomeu?

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Systems-T ... 229&sr=8-3

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:25 pm

I've eyed getting one, but it was more expensive than the one you linked, plus it was from an EU company. I don't think I'll have room in my suitcase from the U.S. if I were to ship there, and shipping to Japan was like 30 euro, so that has basically dissuaded me. And shipping to the U.S. wasn't much better anyways.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:52 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:25 pm
I've eyed getting one, but it was more expensive than the one you linked, plus it was from an EU company. I don't think I'll have room in my suitcase from the U.S. if I were to ship there, and shipping to Japan was like 30 euro, so that has basically dissuaded me. And shipping to the U.S. wasn't much better anyways.
Okay, I will order a mat at least then, and probably a couple of pieces of terrain.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:35 pm

Very much appreciated.
m(__)m
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:01 am

I have been listening to a few podcasts and it seems the new Malifaux Madness Masters are cleaning house.

The Witness keyword is winning most of the tournaments and the others are dominating Vassel. There is a petition to take Madness out of the game until reworked. Many of the better competitive players are proposing a "Balance Faux" which would curb a lot of the masters in competitive play.

All of this reminds me of the Explorer's debate that has finally ended in them getting several large nerfs.

What do you think?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:42 am

I am not a big fan of how they are doing things recently. The new models look cool, and the crews seem creative and fun, but they are putting out new stuff much too quickly for me.

That could be a strong point for some people, of course, but considering the number of games I get in a year, and that I am not a big fan of buying or painting models for their own sake, I am a bit disappointed. Especially if, as you say, the advantage seems to skew mostly towards some of the new teams.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:59 pm

Was Explorer's Society really that bad? I think NexKids deserved the nerf (but still they might have been a bit heavy handed). I think I heard English Ivan was also nerfed, but pretty quickly. Were there any others?

And at the very least, I don't think anyone in our group plays Arcanists so the Witness keyword shouldn't be a problem for us if it is so op.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:48 pm

M_i_J, Kojibear and myself all have Arcanist crews, (we don't play that often though), but none of us have the new crew yet (to my knowledge). I thought the Witness crew looked interesting with their unique mechanic, but honestly the Story keyword minis look more interesting to me.

I think part of the new factions being more powerful is that they are new. People need time to learn how to play around them. That said, I think Wyrd tends to look at new minis along the lines of "We can always nerf them later if we need to." This unfortunately means that new crews tend to be better early on, but should get better to play against over time.

Wyrd's release schedule seems a bit more hectic over the past couple of years, but that might just be a result of the covid/logistics problems faced by every company recently. Their model has always been to release a new book once a year and then release the models for that book in a slow trickle throughout the year. A few things got delayed and then releases came in big waves, especially here in Japan where regular deliveries aren't really a thing.
The actual scale of releases seems a little bigger than it used to be as the company has grown and they add in alternative sculpts and titles for masters (which are largely just alternative sculpts with cards). By consolidating their packs with the release of 3rd they've made it possible for stockists to have more space to sell more things and they seem intent on filling that space.
1st ed Malifaux started with 5 factions with 3 masters each, now we are up to 8 factions with 8 masters or so, plus titles. It has really expanded a lot.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:23 pm

As with any game, I think that what podcasters say about things being OP or whatever often needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Like, the MtG-verse is always buzzing that XYZ card is broken and needs banned, or combos off with ABC card or whatever, but meh, if nobody actually plays that combo against you, or never uses that crew against you, does it really matter? Until I'm actually sitting across from a player that I know plays a crew that I know to be overpowered, I don't worry about it. And even then, with our group of folks, all it would need would be a small "so, are they as busted as I hear?" rule 0 convo to avoid any problems.

's all good folks. Chill :geek:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:35 am

This is from the Malifaux World Series Discord which just concluded a tournament. I think the balance must be quite good if the top five positions were all different factions.

Return to “Malifaux”