Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by The Underdweller » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:02 am

@MiJ: I don't think anyone was getting especially heated, were they?

Anyway, I don't think the crews in Malifaux are especially balanced. Some crews are better in general, almost all crews are strong against certain other crews, or in specific scenarios, and I would not be surprised if newer crews are a bit better, at least until the FAQ comes out (partly like Stuart said because people don't know how to play against them yet, and I assume partly because the company wants people to buy new models). I don't play enough to be able to say the new crews are better with certainty, though. The hearsay about it could be typical Internet excitement.

However, there are other factors involved in playing the game, such as knowing how to play your own crews effectively, knowing the opponents' crews well, knowing how to play the game well in general, and luck regarding the match-up and the particular scenarios, schemes, terrain, etc. Rules we get wrong are often a deciding factor in who wins the game, too, at least locally! I don't think anyone's going to automatically win just because of the models they take.

Regardless of balance, it's still fun to play. I always feel like I have a chance to win, there are lots of different ways to win, I like my opponents, and the setting and characters are fun. So, hopefully it will continue to be active at meetups in Nagoya for a while to come!

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:00 am

Just to add a tid bit, I don't think they're aiming to have every crew be able to match every other crew exactly, because then there would be very little diversity amongst the crews. But technically you're supposed to choose a faction, declare that, and then at a high level of play, consider what faction your opponent is using and try to pick a master that won't do terribly into any of their potential masters, so you should have 8 choices. It's just that we don't have entire factions, nor do most of us stick within one faction, so we kind of pigeon-hole ourselves. But each faction SHOULD have at least one decent competitor going into any other master.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:37 pm

It is not just the Witness keyword that is powerful, all the Madness master's are powerful. The most powerful is said to be Cavalier with Bygone, and Angler close behind. Returned is said to be the worst but we Neverborn are used to the little loved situation.

I wonder if the cycle of bringing out too powerful masters, which is a negative-play experience, said masters get nerfed, which makes everyone who jumped on them salty, and next year we do it all again, is set for the future. Balancing will always have to happen, but I don't like this 40k stay of marketing.

That being said, I think they're doing a good job of balancing crews and beefing up older models (looking at you Molemen). I hope the Deadman's hand is not a permanent thing and we get to see some of them back a balanced way.

For the amount I play there seem to be to many changes and additions for this old country boy.

And nobody is getting heated, we are just having a conversation.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:54 pm

The simple answer is to not buy, or at least play, any new crews until they have had a chance to be errata-d. It doesn't matter what the tournament meta scene is like because none of us play in it. (Unless you join online via vassal, but again that doesn't affect the Nagoya group).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 pm

Eh, it's not that I was under the impression anybody was getting all hot and bothered about stuff locally. I just meant that discussions of relative meta strength are generally not worth investing too much energy into. These things matter on a grand scale, to those who actually make the game, but as UD said, there are so many factors that affect an individual game (notably the players' own ability and knowledge) that it renders relative meta strength somewhat irrelevant at that scale. Tbh my only concern with malifaux at the moment is how I'm going to get a game in 🙄

As for recommendations for chillin', that's just my current life outlook 😎
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:28 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:37 pm
As for recommendations for chillin', that's just my current life outlook 😎
It is a good outlook to have, for sure! Especially now that the weather is starting to heat up.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon May 22, 2023 1:02 pm

New Carver and archie Models. Very nice.

I really like the New Carver. Unfortunately he is packed with his own in giant size. Approx. 7000 in Japan?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed May 24, 2023 12:26 am

Yo those do both look amazing!
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:58 pm

The Case for 40 Soul Stones

The last 2 games of Malifaux I played were at 40ss and I think it is the way to go.

Why? These are the only two games of Malifaux I have ever finished. Unless one person is being blown out, the end of the game is important. Especially if I am playing a Master like Pandora who kills most of the models through ping damage in the 3rd to 5th round.

In addition, 40ss was the standard at the Adeptacon GT this year. (I heard, I wasn't actually there.)

What do you think?

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:23 pm

Forty Soulstones works fine for me.

Return to “Malifaux”