Malifaux Book 3 : Twisting Fates

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Malifaux Book 3 : Twisting Fates

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:24 pm

Well, I've been having a good read through of Malifaux's third rule book, entitled Twisting Fates and honestly, it is probably not going to be for everyone.

Just like the other 2 rule books it includes all the stats for all the upcoming models (Avatars being the main focus of the book). It also includes a lot of short stories and 'fluff', following directly on from The Event as described in Rising Powers. What it doesn't include is any new rules except for the rules for Avatars which can be summarised thusly "They cost 2 soulstones, count as the model they replace and come with all the rules you need for them in their packets."

For anyone who wants to play the game this book is totally unnecessary. For people who are interested in the stories about the characters, or who want to plan their future purchases/proxy models, this book is useful. I actually learned more about a lot of the characters through this book than I did in the previous 2 combined as it focuses a lot more on discussing why they are doing things rather than what they are doing.

The new characters being added to the game look pretty cool, including a Johnny Cash inspired character named Sue. The Avatars themselves are interesting. Each of them takes a characteristic of the original master and makes it more prominent. For example, Lady Justice loses a lot of her killing power, but gains all sorts of powers that balance out fate, applying positives and negatives on various flips. The Viktorias meanwhile become one model that has to kill, kill, kill, but loses their advantage of being in 2 places at once.

As a fan of the setting I liked the book and I am looking forward to the next book which should feature more of the 'special forces' type models introduced in Rising Powers. But really, they need to turn this game into an RPG, because then it would be even more awesome. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Malifaux Book 3 : Twisting Fates

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Ido like the mali books, but I cant justify buying a 3rd rule book for a game that ive played about... 3 times. One rulebook per game played seems a bit much, methnks...
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

ennui
Veteran

Re: Malifaux Book 3 : Twisting Fates

Post by ennui » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:20 am

I never got into the background, and I think I only ever read the story about the little boy and LCB.

I keep feeling like the guys making the game are just sort of like, "Hey wouldn't it be cool if ____ was in the game??? Let's put it in! We'll figure out the rules later." I just wish it was a little more focused and the rules written clearer. But it's a fun game for what it is. Maybe I'll take a flip through your book one of these days. 8-)

Return to “Malifaux”