Malifaux 2.0

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Malifaux 2.0

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 am

I notice that Mali 2.0 is now out. I'm kinda thinking to pick up the new book, as I quite enjoy just reading em for fluff. It made me think though - I really like Mali - the setting is good, the fluff is fun, the rules are (at least the v1.0 I know) great, and the minis are lovely, with the plastics even better, I believe. So... is there still interest here in Malifaux? I haven't had time to play much of anything recently, but that doesn't mean I've lost interest. Is it the same for you lot, or are you more of a "meh" frame of mind?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Malifaux 2.0

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:44 am

Well, I've only played 4 times, and I have yet to win, but it was fun every time! I would play more if there were more opportunities, for sure.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:05 am

I don't always have enough time to play all the games I want to, but I LOVE Malifaux. Fun, fast and not too serious. What's not to like?
I definitely need to pick up the new rules and some of the faction packs at some stage. No rush though as we all still have V1.0 to play if we want.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Well, I got the 2.0 rulebook and the Arcanist deck.

First impressions after a (very) superficial read-through:

The rulebook really is a rulebook. There's a bit of fluff, but it's maybe 70% rules. The fluff is all new, though (aside from the basic intro to the background, obviously.)

There are rules for a good representation of all the factions, including ten thunders as well as a new gremlin group called tri-chi, who are basically all Drunken Masters at Kung fu.

The core rules seem baaaaasically the same as before (duels, opposed and otherwise). I daresay there are finicky differences in there somewhere. But, on a quick flick through, I don't see any "whaaaa?!?" moments. All the stuff from Twisting Fates (Avatars etc) has been incorporated.

Stats, otoh have been heavily changed. Overall, looking through the deck, it would appear that the arcanists at least have been nerfed pretty heavily. I'm assuming this is the case across the board, and if so, fine. It's not like Ramos was an uber beat stick before anyway. As it stands now, what used to be basic-Ramos will now cost you about 10SS, because of...

Wargear...er, I mean, upgrade cards. These come in the faction decks. These cost 1 or 2 SS and give your leaders more abilities. Most of said abilities used to be available as standard on the unit card, but not all of them.

The factions decks only contain the bare bones of the faction. Eg Arcanist is Ramos and his weenie bots, Joss, Marcus an some beasts, Raspy and some frosts. No Large steampunk arachnid, no gunslingers, no showgirls, etc etc. those will, I assume, be in wave 2, currently about to enter an open beta test. Incidentally, I'm more than happy to trade cards with folk (eg you give me steam arachnids, I give you hoarcats, etc.)

No Avatar stats to be seen anywhere.

Other than that, lots of new scenarios.

All in all, I can't complain. It's a much bigger book than it's predecessor. The cards are good quality, but I'm basically gonna need to wait till wave 2 to use my gang properly. Meh, probly not a bad thing to play some minimalist games first to get a handle on the new rules.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Return to “Malifaux”