Malifaux 3rd Edition

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Malifaux 3rd Edition

Post by Primarch » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:54 am

Yep, you read that title correct folks. Malifaux is pushing on to their 3rd edition later this year. 2nd ed came out back in 2013 I believe, so that's a 5 year gap between editions of the game.

Anyway, here is the info from Wyrd themselves.

Wyrdos,

Thanks to those crawlers that work at the Malifaux Tattler, sometimes secrets don't stay so secret for long. Honestly, we can't really blame them. When you're about to announce a new edition, it's difficult not to get super excited.

We aren't reinventing the wheel with Malifaux Third Edition. Instead, we're improving gameplay by ironing out a few kinks, streamlining some systems, reducing the number of conditions, and more. All of this is to ensure that the focus is on the fun while still keeping the layers of strategy that we all enjoy.

Hiring is also getting a facelift, as models will be hired by Keyword, allowing for more thematic crew building around your (new or existing) Masters. Speaking of Masters, you'll also be able to hire multiple Masters in a single crew.

You can find out more information about what's in store for Malifaux Third Edition on our website!

We consider our community around the world like an extended family and want to make sure our release reflects that. All of M3E's updated stat cards and its rules will be available at launch for free.
I guess the free rules and cards will be web-based?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Malifaux 3rd Edition

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 pm

While I saw that M3 was on the way, it's news to me that it'll be a free update on their website. I approve. I like Mali as a game, but having to fork out for a new book(s) just to keep current would've made me at least consider passing. Being able to see the new stuff online means I can still feel current without any expenditure. In fact, looking at new rules online will most likely start me wanting to play it more. You know how these things are. One minute you're idly browsing rules online, next thing you know you've bought a new faction... :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:35 am

I will download the new rules once they become available, I think that making them free for everyone is a good way to avoid alienating existing players. As and when the pocket-size rulebook becomes available, I'll more than likely pick up a copy, along with the updated cards.

That said, I'm a little sad that they are bringing out a new edition. 5 years isn't a long time between editions, but it's better than some. (I'm thinking of 40K's 2-year editions here). I have bought all of the updated cards for every faction I play, as well as the Malifaux Campaign Cards and the extra card sets from the later rulebooks. Unfortunately, I haven't played enough to get much, if any, use out of them. Obviously, that is no fault of Wyrd's, if I had made more of an effort (at the expense of playing other games), I could have had a better return on my investment.

When 2nd ed. dropped, it took them two years to get all the existing models updated. Since then, they have released a new set of masters for each faction and a ton of extra models. I wonder how long it will take Wyrd to update to 3rd.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 am

I still feel quite attached to Mali, even though, like yourself, I haven't really played it much recently. Any time you fancy a wee skirmish, though, my showgirls will be happy to oblige* (and actually, I've got some new stuff for them since I last played, just never used em)...

*heck, give me enough notice and I might even be able to get a new crew painted in time.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:06 am

Just keeping the flame burning here for Mali. I thought I’d post this to keep folks informed (if you didn’t see it already). As I said before, I’m still kinda interested in playing Mali, particularly because my Lynch crew have yet to see the table! :oops: Since it looks like the rules/cards will be online, it’ll probably be doable to give it a whirl without any financial commitment, so if anybody fancies some Wyrd skirmish gaming, I’d be up for it once the new ed drops (or even before, if you’re keen).

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2019/4/ ... HfaDXJOPx8

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 am

me_in_japan wrote:Just keeping the flame burning here for Mali. I thought I’d post this to keep folks informed (if you didn’t see it already). As I said before, I’m still kinda interested in playing Mali, particularly because my Lynch crew have yet to see the table! :oops: Since it looks like the rules/cards will be online, it’ll probably be doable to give it a whirl without any financial commitment, so if anybody fancies some Wyrd skirmish gaming, I’d be up for it once the new ed drops (or even before, if you’re keen).

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2019/4/ ... HfaDXJOPx8
Well you know I'm always up for a game of Malifaux or two. :D
It seems like they have a clear set of plans for the new release, which is great. I wonder how many new crews I will have before 4th edition drops? :lol: :lol:

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:48 am

I would like to play Malifaux sometime as well. I think it's been about 2 years since my last games of it.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed May 01, 2019 1:36 am

I’d definitely be up for some Malifaux at some point. I’ve still only gotten Zoraida and company onto the table a couple times.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Return to “Malifaux”