Malifaux (3rd ed.) - An Introduction

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Malifaux (3rd ed.) - An Introduction

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:32 am

That's a bunch of peegs!

As I mentioned in the game day thread, finding that all the rules and cards are actually available for free has raised my interest in this quite a lot, skinflint that I am*. :lol: The new packaging is slightly annoying, as I'd like to have an Adze for my Will-o-wisps to turn into, but you can only get an Adze in a box with will-o-wisps, and I have the maximum number of wisps I could use, so... No Adze for me! But TBH I have a pretty big collection, points-wise, apparently, so I don't really need to get anything, and probably shouldn't at any rate until I play some games and see where my collection has holes. The big thing I'm seeing looking at Zoraida's rules is the same thing I found when I played her back in 2nd edition, namely that she seems strongest when you know what's on your opponent's cards as well as you know what's on your own. :lol: My fault for picking a less newb-friendly master.

*Especially since for Zoraida I'd want to get both the Neverborn and Bayou cards.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:36 am

@Underdweller - Up to 5 Mindless Zombies can go in any Resser's crew, they have the versatile keyword.
Punk Zombies (the ones with samurai swords) are a part of Molly's crew now. Their name changed to Rabble Risers.
Guild Autopsies are part of McMourning's lot.
Belles and Dead Doxies are in Seamus' keyword.

And all of them can be used with Nicodem.
His card is in here, along with his Vulture totem.
And his upgrade/summon card.

@ToD - Your opponent's cards are also available for free, and you can freely ask to look at them during the game.
Zoraida is quite a tricky master by the looks of it though.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 am

Primarch wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:36 am
@ToD - Your opponent's cards are also available for free, and you can freely ask to look at them during the game.
Oh, yes, I'm just remembering spending a lot of time looking at my opponents' cards the couple times I played. :lol: I meant more that she seems to reward having an encyclopedic knowledge of the game is all.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 3 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:51 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:53 am
Primarch wrote:
Oh, yes, I'm just remembering spending a lot of time looking at my opponents' cards the couple times I played. :lol: I meant more that she seems to reward having an encyclopedic knowledge of the game is all.
There is an app for that. :D
Yeah, looking at her card, it seems that her Reading the Cards ability requires you to have some knowledge of which cards are more valuable to your opponent, which can be situational. Overall her crew seem to like dishing out all sorts of debuffs, so knowing what they do is probably pretty helpful. If you have the app and/or the box containing all the cards for a faction, there is a reference for all of the conditions included.
At this stage though, I think everyone will be finding their feet with any crew they are playing, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Mistakes will happen on both sides of the table.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:31 pm

dat is a lot of piggywiggles, and no mistake.

I never fail to be impressed at Prim's encyclopedic knowledge of game systems. How does he know all this stuff, eh? :shock:

I'm not easily able to get up to Nagoya at the mo, but I just want to chip in and say I'm still keen to play Mali, and will be working to make it happen as soon as I can. Carry on without me until then :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:17 pm

Primarch wrote:
@Underdweller - Up to 5 Mindless Zombies can go in any Resser's crew, they have the versatile keyword.
Punk Zombies (the ones with samurai swords) are a part of Molly's crew now. Their name changed to Rabble Risers.
Guild Autopsies are part of McMourning's lot.
Belles and Dead Doxies are in Seamus' keyword.

And all of them can be used with Nicodem.
His card is in here, along with his Vulture totem.
And his upgrade/summon card.
Thanks! I should have lots of choice, then.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:34 am

For anyone building miniatures, there are some instructions here:
https://www.wyrd-games.net/build-instructions

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:43 pm

I've been using those guides and can vouch for them.
I was surprised how complicated some pigs were, and there are no instructions in the actual box.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:15 am

Just wanted to say, Malifaux has some REALLY small bits occasionally. Pen for scale. This little piglet's right arm was a bit. Thought I might have to go out and buy some tweezers.

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:42 am

My favourites are the models where the head is in two or more pieces for no discernable reason.
I think it's due to the minis being sculpted by Wyrd then manufactured by a different company that has no experience of how models are put together by the consumer. That's just my take on things though, I could be well off the mark.

Return to “Malifaux”