Malifaux (3rd ed.) - An Introduction

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: Malifaux (3rd ed.) - An Introduction

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:29 am

Right? I think it was this guy, but definitely one of the guys in this box, had a hole in the top of their torso. Then you notch in one bit that includes the neck and goblin ears, that has another notch at the top where you're supposed to put the actual head. They really couldn't have put the ears and neck on the head bit?
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:10 am

Don’t even make me talk about Zoraida again! :lol: It looks like the 3e model is better, but the 2e model had, IIRC, her head and then two different pieces for her hair.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:20 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:32 am
As I mentioned in the game day thread, finding that all the rules and cards are actually available for free has raised my interest in this quite a lot, skinflint that I am*. :lol: The new packaging is slightly annoying, as I'd like to have an Adze for my Will-o-wisps to turn into, but you can only get an Adze in a box with will-o-wisps, and I have the maximum number of wisps I could use, so... No Adze for me!
Just found, I think Wyrd still has 2nd edition boxes that have only the Adze. No cards, but if you're just going to use the app/printoffs anyways that shouldn't be a problem.

https://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-w ... ducts/adze
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 am

I was looking at the Wyrd direct orders when I was updating my Lynch crew. They have a great selection, but the shipping is…ouch.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 am

Wyrd has shown the first art of the next "Malifaux Expansion", Dabblers

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2022/4/ ... arn-to-fly

a new set of magic-minded minions?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue May 31, 2022 4:20 am

Just if we wanted to mix it up, I noticed the Malifaux 3E app has a few different sets of strategies titled "GG Season 1" and "GG Season 2." I assume those are official tournaments if they made it into the app. They have one or two of the original strategies and two or three new ones in each set. Could be a fun change of pace.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:41 pm

GG is the official organized play rules for Malifaux, so I'm happy to give them a whirl sometime.

More previews for the next expansion have been cropping up in the Wyrd newsletter.

For those of you new to the system, previously Wyrd released one new book every year at GenCon. Books either had a new faction (Ten Thunders entered the game this way), a themed expansion/mechanic (Avatars in 1st ed and a campaign in 2nd), or a new master and crew for each faction.

In 3rd ed, the new books have been:
2020 - Explorers Society (new faction)
2021 - Malifaux Burns (themed expansion)
2022 - ???
It's looking like new masters and crews are on the horizon this year as Story and Cavalier are both new Keywords.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:48 am

Dayum, Story of Raijin looks pretty good for 8 soulstones. Since usually the game ends up being a battle over control of a space where markers are, and he can manipulate how everyone in the area can move. Only downside is he has no defensive abilities, but he can heal as a fast action, and has 6 defense and 6 willpower. I guess 8 is a pretty big cost.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:00 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:48 am
Dayum, Story of Raijin looks pretty good for 8 soulstones. Since usually the game ends up being a battle over control of a space where markers are, and he can manipulate how everyone in the area can move. Only downside is he has no defensive abilities, but he can heal as a fast action, and has 6 defense and 6 willpower. I guess 8 is a pretty big cost.
He does have Hard to Wound and Middle of the Storm to help mitigate damage. He can also heal using Thunderstruck. Overall he looks fairly solid with some debuffs, move shenanigans and, as you say, marker control. Well-versed (Keyword ability perhaps??) looks like a great ability to help get those critical actions off. Fujin's Wind and Sound of Thunder do require him to get up close to work though. As a mid-field control piece, 8 stones is a little pricey, but blowing up enemy markers (schemes, scrap, corpse etc). may well be worth it against certain crews.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:26 am

Oh you're right. Yeah I don't see a good answer to him, as shooting him is neutered, and if you get in close, he can push you away pretty easily. I think he's quite good.

I guess the 3inch move can be avoided by cheating, but that does get a card out of your opponent's hand. His attack moves the enemy anywhere within 1inch of himself though, which could be nearly a 3inch move, going from one side to the other. I think his attack would be especially crippling to enemies with 0inch range.

Return to “Malifaux”