Malifaux (3rd ed.) - An Introduction

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: Malifaux (3rd ed.) - An Introduction

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:16 pm

Woahwoahwoahwoahwoah What's goin' on here!?

I've been trying to get some Malifaux coals burning for over a year now! Prim is just too charismatic...

I still only have my Ulix pig-based starter box. I know I need to expand that crew some more, but just earlier today I was really eyeing the Jedza box and her supporting, spooky, folklore kind of models.

I think it's been over a year since I've played now, but if anyone's down I can try and fit a game in half of the October games day.

Apologies, I didn't even notice this conversation for literally months, but happy there's so much Malifaux interest!
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:10 am

@Grantholomeu - Sometimes you just need a dedicated thread and a lot of pushing to get people interested.

Jedza looks pretty cool. It seems her shtick is healing her enemies? ;) Interesting.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:13 pm

I had no idea what her abilities were. That's usually how I go into a game :lol:
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm

Well, I have taken the plunge. I ordered the Dreamer box. Let's get this party started.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:06 pm
Well, I have taken the plunge. I ordered the Dreamer box. Let's get this party started.
Awesome!
I can't wait to see them on the table.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 pm

What, minions cost Zero now? (And Lord Chompybits is a Minion?) I guess I should have checked this thread before playing; I would have saved myself a few soulstones.

After my game with Grantholomeu, I like McMourning better in 3rd Edition than 2nd - 2nd edition he generally had to poison someone, then succeed in another attack to trigger the poison (to do damage more quickly than poison regularly would). Now his main attack is just hacking people up with a big saw.

Also liked Molly/Phillip when I played them 2 years ago, although I had never gotten a chance to play them in previous editions, so I can't compare it really. I've heard Seamus's standard crew (the Belles and Sybil) are a bit weak this time around, but I will probably try them out anyway. The Belles were really good before, so I suppose they had to nerf them a bit.

And Nicodem is gone from standard play, unfortunately.

There seem to be relatively few Upgrades in 3rd edition, unless I am not looking in the right place. There are none for any of my masters or crew specifically, and only a few universal ones.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 pm

The Underdweller wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 pm
What, minions cost Zero now? (And Lord Chompybits is a Minion?) I guess I should have checked this thread before playing; I would have saved myself a few soulstones.
Your Totem(s) cost zero. Standard minions (belles, zombies etc) still cost the same.

M3e was playtested by the Malifaux community before release and one of the big changes was to try to refocus masters on making them better at whatever their main point was. In 2nd ed you generally had to attach upgrades to get the best use out of your master. As you've noticed, upgrades are less of a thing now and masters are better out of the gate. There is less variation in how masters play now, but they are better for it.

There are some masters that rely on upgrades for their abilities (applying them as a buff/debuff during a game), but most factions have only 3 general upgrades.

Summoning crews will sometimes have upgrades that must be applied to their summons, and these are often limited depending on the model that does the summoning and it's position in the crew.
McMourning doesn't attach upgrades, but he can only summon Flesh Constructs and they are limited to 3 per crew.
Nicodem attaches upgrades to summoned minions and is capped at 5 upgrades. However he may also summon Mindless Zombies without an upgrade card so can technically get lots of them.

Speaking of Nicodem, he is in the Dead Man's Hand set of cards. He is fine for standard play, he just won't be getting any updates anytime soon and is not allowed in official tournaments.

From comments that I have seen online, the Redchapel keyword doesn't do a lot for Seamus. You'd probably want to bring along a couple of Belles, but Seamus can do his thing without worrying about his crew. In comparison, it looks like McMourning wants lots of his Experimental crew in play to get the most from Field Testing (They all begin the game with +2 Poison) and his Poison shuffling/triggering attacks.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:55 am

Got my goodies in the mail!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:10 am

That's a lot of angry bacon!

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:17 am

Primarch wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 pm
The Underdweller wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 pm
Your Totem(s) cost zero. Standard minions (belles, zombies etc) still cost the same....

Speaking of Nicodem, he is in the Dead Man's Hand set of cards. He is fine for standard play, he just won't be getting any updates anytime soon and is not allowed in official tournaments.....

In comparison, it looks like McMourning wants lots of his Experimental crew in play to get the most from Field Testing (They all begin the game with +2 Poison) and his Poison shuffling/triggering attacks.
Ah sorry, I meant Totem, not minions (cost zero). Minions costing Zero would make it a pretty big game.

Yeah, McMourning seemed to do well with Flesh Constructs and Sebastian, as you said because of poison synergy.

I'll have to find the card for Nicodem, then. I was wondering what I would do with all the random Undead models I have sitting around.

Return to “Malifaux”