Malifaux (3rd ed.) - Crew Building

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Malifaux (3rd ed.) - Crew Building

Post by Primarch » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:11 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:36 am
I don't mean for free. If you take Nexus, you aren't allowed to hire Nexus, One of Many even by paying their points costs, or vice versa.

Rules-wise I understand why it is the way it is, but flavor-wise I feel like they could have fenagled something to make it work.
The original Nexus was widely considered the most powerful Master in the game up until the latest errata. Letting you take a second master that had perfect in-keyword synergy wouldn't help.

Thematically, I can see the reasoning for it, but I think the writers would have had a hard time balancing it without making one of them much weaker.

Thinking about it, a crew which is just Nexus, Nexus, Nexus, Nexus and Nexus kind of makes sense. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:15 pm

Can't find the exact rule so,

When constructs die/are destroyed do they always drop scrap markers?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:27 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:15 pm
Can't find the exact rule so,

When constructs die/are destroyed do they always drop scrap markers?
Yes, they do.
Constructs drop scrap markers. Other models drop Corpse markers. It's on page 61 of my rulebook, under the heading Markers and Killed Models.
There are some exceptions where models will specifically state they don't drop any markers, they drop a different type of marker or some other randomness. There are also ways of killing models by removing them from the table (e.g. burying them), which also prohibits marker dropping. In addition, if neither side has any use for scrap markers, both players can choose not to drop them to avoid clutter on the table.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:55 am

Thank you very much. It is on page 25 of the PDF Core rules.

This is just what I needed. I love it when a plan comes together.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:13 pm

Here comes the next chapter of Malifaux complete with 6 new masters and their alternatives.

https://www.wyrd-games.net/news/2022/8/ ... f-malifaux

Love the Clampetts for Bayou(?) - "Come listen to my story about man named Jed..." , I guess Ten Thunderers are getting the Monkey King. I have no idea what the sloth is all about.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:55 am

Wyrd has revealed the complete 'Returned' faction. A Neverborn/Resser group with lots of Nephlim.

They seemed to be focussed on healing.

Looks good.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:30 am

Oops, forgot the link to the Returned reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isZR5al64O4&t=779s

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:12 pm

Wyrd have a new preview up for Returned, this time crossed with the Mimic keyword.
It has a nice range of abilities, Melee, Movement and Healing, plus ways to prevent opponents cheating fate and using triggers. Df4 is quite low though. Stealth will stop it from being sniped off the board and Hard to Wound will keep it around for a while, so overall it is probably quite solid against all but the most beaty of beatsticks.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:46 am

I like the art a lot. Seems pretty strong to me. Biggest thing is it's only 7ss, but has 9hp, hard to wound, and gains shielded from successful attacks, but most turns anyone defending against its attacks isn't allowed to cheat fate via its fast action, so I'd assume it will be getting shielded most turns. Slightly balanced by the poor defense and willpower stats though.

My first instinct is to compare it to models I have that are the same cost, and wild boars are 7ss with 7hp, swap the df and wp values, and no defensive abilities unless you count healing. Spelleaters have better defensive stats, but again 7hp. Admittedly they have auto shielded +1 every turn and range, so that definitely counts for something. I wonder if the stats on the pig crew are just neutered a little bit because you're expected to be upgrading and healing them.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:07 am

What I want to know is, why is it not Terrifying, with that appearance :)?

I was going to say it looks better than my Flesh Construct for the same points, but not sure if that is true, on a closer look. The Flesh Construct is a little less survivable (without shielded, you can definitely hit it from a distance, and it has WP4), but it is also immune to conditions and can heal from poison. And it can be Fast every turn, which is pretty nice.

Return to “Malifaux”