Malifaux (3rd ed.) - Crew Building

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Malifaux (3rd ed.) - Crew Building

Post by Primarch » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:14 am

Following a discussion regarding deck building in the thread for Warhammer Underworlds, I got to thinking about Crew Building in Malifaux and how that can follow a similar approach.

I am making this thread with the caveat that some players are fairly new (and we are all new to M3e), and most of us lack the flexibility in our collections to fully follow up on the information and musings below. Hopefully though it should help out people who are planning to add to existing crews and/or looking to buy something new.

To kick things off, I think a quick recap of the rules will help.

Hiring Rules

Players purchase their crews using Soulstones (50 for a standard sized game).

You may select 1 Master and their Totem for free. Dual Faction Masters must declare which faction they want to use.
OR
You may select 1 Henchman and their faction's Effigy for free.

After that you may select any number of models with a combined cost of your available stones from the following groups.
ANY model which shares a keyword with your Master. (Or Henchman if you went that route). These models do NOT need to be in the same faction, so long as they share a keyword.
ANY model from the same faction as your Master. If the model does not share a keyword, it will cost 1 additional Soulstone to recruit. Models with the versatile keyword ignore this extra tax.
All factions have generic upgrade cards that may be purchased and applied to models in the crew for the cost printed on the card.

A note on keywords - Some models have keywords that ONLY apply during recruitment. For example, Ulix (Bayou faction) has the Keyword Sooey. During recruitment he also has the Keyword Pig. During gameplay, he only has the Sooey keyword. This is important as some abilities only affect certain keyworded models.

Any Soulstones left over at the end of recruitment are added to your Soulstone Pool during the game where they can be used to modify attacks and abilities.

The Hiring Process

So, what makes any of this different to any other minis game?

Simply put, timing! When you start setting up a game, both players declare their factions early during set-up. You DON'T declare Masters or Crews until you are ready to deploy. You can build your crew knowing what the mission parameters are and with some idea of what your opponent is likely to put on the table. If the strategy and schemes for the mission call on you to murder your opponent's crew, you can select a more damage-output focused crew. If instead the aim of the game is to plant scheme markers everywhere, you may choose to spend your stones on fast, evasive models.
Similarly if you have a rough idea of the opposing crew, you can bring models to counter their strengths. Neverborn have a fair few Terrifying models, so bring some Ruthless models. Resurrectionists have access to a lot of summoning, so anything that interferes with that is good. Guild have a lot of figures with Armor, so be prepared.

I'm fairly sure that there is a commercial reason for this rule, as it does help Wyrd to sell more models, but from a gameplay point of view, it offers a cool list-building option where you try to second guess your opponent's plans and prepare good counters to them.

Now, personally speaking, I have 3 Masters for my Guild faction (I've been playing Guild since 1st Ed.) and I'm only a couple of figures away from being able to run a 4th. On top of that, I have a few Versatile models as well, giving me a lot of flexibility when it comes to picking a crew. For the sake of fairness, I'm happy to declare Master and Faction when choosing crews against anyone with only 1 Master in a given Faction. (I believe Underdweller has 2 or 3 Resurrectionist Masters, so we can try the Faction only thing as and when we play each other).

Of Crew Boxes and Keywords.

When first starting a crew, the Crew Box is (almost?) always going to be your first purchase. After that, you'll probably want more models in the same keyword, they are the logical choice after all. It is worth looking at the other models available to you though. Having every in-keyword model doesn't mean that all your bases will be covered, quite the opposite. Models with the same keyword tend to have similar strengths and weaknesses. Adding a couple of versatile models to your collection can help you shore up your weak points. It may even be worth adding some OOK (Out of keyword) models, even with the 1 soulstone tax, just because of what they can bring to your crew.

It should also be pointed out that some Masters really don't need their keyword models all that much, while others rely heavily on them. For example, from my Guild crews, Lady Justice has one ability that relies on having Marshal keyworded models nearby, and it is a minor buff, so I can happily mix in OOK models to my heart's content. Hoffman's main abilities are all focused on having friendly constructs nearby and nearly all of the Guild constructs are in his keyword, Augmented, so it's not usually worth bringing anything else.
Finally Nellie synergizes well with the models in her Journalist keyword. However, Journalists are not the toughest of fighters, so a few OOK minis will help out a lot.

As standard, summoners only summon models in their own keyword, so you should probably buy models in keyword for summoning. On the other hand, since you'll be summoning models that synergize, you have a bit more leeway in crew building and OOK options.

Malifaux Burns & Titles

The latest release for the game is Malifaux Burns. (There is 1 expansion book per year with new minis and rules around GenCon time. The model releases are then spaced throughout the year). Malifaux Burns introduces a new concept to the game, each Master gets a new variant with the addition of a Title. Partly this is done for the narrative of the game to show how the characters have evolved over time, and partly to really shake up the meta of the game by giving players a load of new stuff to try.

For example, I could field Lady Justice or Lady Justice, Death-Touched. The first is the standard melee beatstick that Lady J has been since the game started, the second is a more seasoned veteran who leans more heavily into her keyword (see above where I said Lady J doesn't synergize very well) and buffs the abilities of her Marshals.

There are new minis coming for every master, with each one in a dual pack with a master for a different faction and a shared (dual keyword) model between them.* Again, this is partly a sales ploy to get players to start new crews, but no more so than GW's battle boxes and at a fraction of the price. The cards have all been spoilered online and will be coming to the app soon-ish. With a few exceptions where base sizes are different (hint, put a bigger base under the mini), there isn't any problem with using version A as version B that I can see. There are already a load of alternative and limited edition sculpts in the game, so just make it clear which version you are using. This effectively doubles the number of Masters everyone has in their collection. Yay!

Gaining Grounds

Every year Wyrd releases a set of rules called Gaining Grounds. This addition to the core rules is for tournament and organized play, but also offers alternative strategies and schemes that can be used in casual play.

Did you have a point here, Prim?

Ultimately it comes down to how much you enjoy the game and how much you want to spend on playing it, but there is a lot more depth to the game once you have got the feel for the core members of your crew. You don't need more than a 50 stone crew to enjoy the game, but if list building is your thing, then it is certainly a viable option in Malifaux.

*I'm probably going to pick up a few of these new Master minis because A) I want to support the game/company, B) I like the models and C) I have serious self-control problems when it comes to miniatures.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Re: Malifaux (3rd ed.) - Crew Building

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 am

Great article - Very thorough.

I found this list of Malifaux Burns Models: https://www.wyrd-games.net/content-reveals
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 am

Balloonacorn wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:09 am
Great article - Very thorough.

I found this list of Malifaux Burns Models: https://www.wyrd-games.net/content-reveals
Very useful, thanks.

The pairings are:
(x) = Faction Initial.
Kaeris (A)/Reva (R)
Dreamer (N)/Asami (T)
Sonia (G)/Kirai (R) - These two are in the 'The Other Side,' starter box along with about a dozen other figures, so a bit more expensive than other pairings.
Anya (E)/Ironsides (A)
Viktoria (O)/Yan Lo (R/T)
Molly (R)/Nekima (N)
Jedza (E)/Zoraida (N/B)
Hoffman (G)/Von Schill (O)
Lady J (G)/Tara (O)
Lord Cooper (E)/Marcus (A/N)
Mei Feng (A/T)/Mah Tucket (B)
McMourning (R)/McCabe (E)
Ophelia (B)/Perdita (G)
Colette (A)/Pandora (N)
Brewmaster (B)/Youko (T)
Seamus (R)/Som'er (B)
Von Schtook (R)/Wong (B) - Wong isn't in the preview but has been confirmed.

Other pairings I've seen announced
Dashel (G)/Hamlin (O)
Lucius (G)/Nexus (E)
Nellie (G)/Jack Daw (O)
Rasputina (A)/Euripides (N)
Ulix (B)/Titiana (N)
Lynch (T)/Leviticus (O)
Shenlong (T)/Sandeep (A)
Misaki (T)/Ivan (E)
Zipp (B)/Maxine (E)
Basse (G/E)/Parker (O)

Each pairing comes with a dual keyword model, in 1 of the factions' colors. (So you can hire by keyword for both Masters, but OOK for only 1 faction).

I think that is everything.

This month the Dreamer/Asami box and the Hoffman/Von Schill boxes are being released alongside the book. (Which will contain all the stats).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:08 pm

thanks for this, Prim. I havent got my rulebook yet, so all this info is good stuff.*

I've been reading my ten thunders book, though, and working a wee bit on my hungrydark. He's bigger than I thought he was, and is starting to drag a bit. But I soldier on...

*yes, I know its all online. I'm lazy, and like to be spoon fed. :lol:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:25 pm

Simplistic Question Time - Are the releases for Malifaux Burns permanent additions? Will they be given faction-oriented boxes in due time or is this a limited series deal?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:29 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:25 pm
Simplistic Question Time - Are the releases for Malifaux Burns permanent additions? Will they be given faction-oriented boxes in due time or is this a limited series deal?
The contents of Malifaux Burns are permanent additions to the game. They haven't been listed as a limited run. Wyrd does do limited minis on a regular basis, but those are usually variant sculpts using existing rules, rather than new rules and models together, plus they are always announced as such.
I'm not certain if they will get faction-oriented boxes in the future though. It is quite likely they will remain in their 2 masters and a shared henchman box for the time being. It will take them at least a year to release all of the minis. In the future Wyrd may repackage them, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
So I wouldn't worry too much about rushing to pick up the box (unless you really like the mini). It should be around permanently, and most of the new masters are easy enough to proxy if you feel like running one in the future.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm

All the Malifaux Burns cards have been released on the website.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wicc6rs8kg46 ... tracking=1

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:02 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm
All the Malifaux Burns cards have been released on the website.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wicc6rs8kg46 ... tracking=1
The App has been updated too.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:34 pm

cheers for that.

A question: do you (anyone) have the Malifaux Burns book, and if so, where did you get it? I can't see it on ringtail. I'm still waiting on my actual base rulebook, but I assume it'll show up eventually. In the meantime, I could use some reading matter. Tbh I mostly buy Mali rulebooks for the stories, since the rules are online (I even used to do that when they weren't, tbh.)

Anyway: Malifaux Burns. Where to buy? Yoroshikuonegaishimasu...

Also, fwiw, I painted Mr Graves today. He looks quite dapper, actually :D

*edit* oh, and who the hell is the Burning Man? Wyrd keep referencing it in their online "buy our stuff" type messages, but I've seen nothing about him/it in any actual fluff I've read. Nothing in the 2nd ed books I have, certainly, and nothing in the ten thunders book for 3rd ed. Is he a big deal in the base rulebook stories? If not, where is he? What is he? I don't mind teasers and stuff, but the way he's referenced seems to assume we all know who/what he is. Do tell....
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:51 pm

The Burning Man is the primary antagonist from The Other Side, Wyrd's bigger skirmish game set on Earth. He's the one who opened the portals to let the Gibbering Hordes through to London and drove a bunch of people insane to become the Cult of the Burning Man.

Before all that though, he was Malifaux's Governor General.

In (I think) the second to last book of 2nd Ed, the governor performs a ritual to transform himself into a Tyrant. He'd had McCabe scouring Malifaux for artifacts for his ritual, but unbeknownst to him the Thunders figured out what was going on and ordered McCabe to switch the last artifact with a fake. As the governor perfromed his ritual and was about to ascend, one of the original tyrants, Cherufe (who had been possessing Sonnia Criid until that point), saw an opportunity to regain his old spot at the top of the food chain and tried to possess the governor. Needless to say the whole thing went a bit awry and the governor shot into the sky like a firework and exploded. The explosion blasted the now totally insane merged Tyrants back to Earth where it set off the events of The Other Side.

Ol'Burny combines the Governor General Tyrant's ability to mind control people with Cherufe's ability to burn everything it gets near. In Malifaux Burns, he/it returns to Malifaux and spreads chaos. One Master from each faction is corrupted and falls in with the cult. How permanent this is hasn't been addressed yet.

As for the book...

Wyrd's last newsletter announced that they are still suffering from a lot of supply chain issues due to Covid and the generally messed up global logistics problems that are still ongoing. You can either wait for the book to be sent to retailers outside the US, buy from a US stockist (some of them have the book) or get it from DrivethruRPG as a PDF for $25.

Return to “Malifaux”