M3e - Nightmares, Alternatives and Proxies

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.

How do you feel about alternative models and proxies?

I don't care, use Space Marines if you want.
14%
So long as the minis are all themed the same and you make some effort to fit the game, it's fine.
86%
Anything from Wyrd is fine.
No votes
Only the most current official miniatures will do.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Primarch
Evil Overlord

M3e - Nightmares, Alternatives and Proxies

Post by Primarch » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:03 am

Wyrd is having an Easter sale at the moment, and if you spend a certain amount of money, you can pick up some cool alternative models. Since they started, Wyrd have produced limited edition models fairly regularly. These might just be alternative sculpts for popular figures, (A bunch where created when they made the jump from metal to plastic), or could be an entirely new crew which uses an existing crew's stats. The latter are generally referred to as Nightmare Editions.
For example:

For a game where players have no agency to create their own characters, Wyrd do offer some interesting options to add variety to players' crews. They have made fish-people, pirates, trick-or-treaters, and even a cyberpunk crew.

According to Wyrd's official policies, all models they make for the game are to be treated as the models they are standing in for, in every way. For example, the card above makes it clear at the bottom of the card. However, Wyrd also state that no proxies can be used in official tournaments.

So, where does the Nagoyahammer community stand on the issue of non-standard minis in a game where A) Every mini represents a specific character in the game and B) The company regularly produces alternatives that look completely different from the base model and may not even be of the same genre.

To be clear, I'm talking specifically about models that are clearly different from the official ones. I know Underdweller uses Reaper minis in his crew, but they are pretty close to what Wyrd makes. (A flesh golem to represent a flesh golem, and an undead cowboy to represent an undead cowboy for example).

So what is your take?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Re: M3e - Nightmares, Alternatives and Proxies

Post by The Underdweller » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:03 am

I would be a little surprised with someone bringing, for example, a (Wyrd or non-Wyrd) pirate crew as proxies for a Molly crew, but I would be OK with it, especially if they used the same models repeatedly, not just the one time.

As I would generally be ok using cardboard tokens instead of miniatures for Wargames, I almost chose "Use Space Marines if you want", but found that surprisingly, I would not be ok with that, at least on a regular basis. It would detract a lot from the game.

That alt-Molly model is pretty cool.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:00 am

Personally I don't really care where a model is from so long as it looks like the thing it's trying to look like.

Proxying characters is a bit lame imo. Proxying a wild boar or zombie would be no problem, but a non-Lady Justice counting for Lady Justice, especially since she's a master, would bother me. Basically, named characters would bother me. Un-named characters that just represent a type of thing I'd have no problem as long as the proxy also looks like that type of thing. That being said, if there was a Wyrd alternate Lady Justice or whatever, that'd be cool too.

I just like the scene looking nice and thematic (I say, fully planning to bring a bunch of grey minis to next game day :? ).
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:13 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:00 am
That being said, if there was a Wyrd alternate Lady Justice or whatever, that'd be cool too.
There is, or was several years ago.

This isn't a definitive list by any means, but there have been quite a few non-standard crews over the years:
Undead Lady Justice crew
Cyberpunk Mei Feng crew
Zoraida and crew in traditional witches clothes (big black pointy hat)
A female version of McMourning
A crazy cat lady version of the Hamelin crew
Fishfolk/Mermaid Nephilim
Pandora and crew in Halloween costumes
A steampunk motorcycle version of McCabe's crew
A pirate crew based on Molly
A carnival crew replacing Collette's showgirls
A santa themed version of Rasputina complete with killer snowmen
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:04 am

I think it would depend on intent and effort. An opponent could proxy an entire crew, master and all, and as long as the minis were all thematic and easily recognisable as what they were supposed to be, I would have no problem with it. But, that "thematic" requirement is a slippery one. Theoretically, you could proxy an entire crew with space marines, but my feeling is that it wouldn't be thematic. I like the immersion inherent to a game like Malifaux, so it would go a long way to being acceptable if the minis all felt steampunk or were at least fantasy, and of about the same scale. The cyberpunk ones are an interesting edge case. If someone said "I want to proxy my whole game with cyberpunk minis from some other game line" I'd not be too keen on that. But, they're official Wyrd models, so I also think I couldn't reasonably say no to it.

Basically, I'm fine with proxies from anywhere as long as they "feel" Malifaux.

*Edit* obviously, if someone wants to hire a crew member on the spot and doesn't have the right mini right there and then, aye, sure, proxy away. But long term, I'd expect some effort to be put into finding either the official fig or a reasonable proxy.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:18 pm

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:00 am
Personally I don't really care where a model is from so long as it looks like the thing it's trying to look like.

Proxying characters is a bit lame imo. Proxying a wild boar or zombie would be no problem, but a non-Lady Justice counting for Lady Justice, especially since she's a master, would bother me. Basically, named characters would bother me. Un-named characters that just represent a type of thing I'd have no problem as long as the proxy also looks like that type of thing. That being said, if there was a Wyrd alternate Lady Justice or whatever, that'd be cool too.

I just like the scene looking nice and thematic (I say, fully planning to bring a bunch of grey minis to next game day :? ).
I obviously don't see eye to eye with you on this one as I have one proxy Master (generic Jack-the-Ripper/ Mad Hatter) for Seamus (the official model bothers me for some reason), and one for Phillip and the Nanny. They are obvious enough matches that I think they are OK.

I do think it was a bit lame of me to use a standard Flesh Golem for Archie, especially given I have a perfectly good Rogue Necromancy on hand. Not quite as good as Archie, mind you, but still. I hope to introduce it to you one day soon!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:46 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have no immediate plans to proxy anything, I still have more unpainted Malifaux minis than painted ones. :lol: It is something I have considered though, as I am missing individual models from some of my older crews and I don't really want to have to buy a full crew box for one mini. It seems that everyone is on roughly the same page as to where the lines are drawn, so that is good. While most Wyrd minis are great, having the option to use unofficial models that you like is always good too.

Return to “Malifaux”