Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
The Underdweller
Legend

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:11 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:59 am
@The Underdweller

Thanks for the good game as always!
I realized something big that's bad for Seamus though. His fast action, Cause for Celebration, lets him take an action no matter what, but only lets him ignore special requirements in italics by removing "target Corpse Marker on the enemy table half." For next time ;)
Ah, I remember reading that, and then totally forgot it today. Sorry about that - there is a fair chance you would have won, then, since that is what let him one-shot your two ruthless models, I believe.

In other news, I looked up "Bete Noir", and it is French for Black Beast, and means "Bugbear", or "thing strongly detested or avoided".

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:12 pm

@Grantholomeu: You were also correct that you can get the end of game scheme VP without getting the reveal scheme VP.

I do wonder what people think of the Bete Noir rule though. Is she allowed to use "Rise Again" when she is not buried? According to the Forums, in at least one online tournament, she was allowed to do that. But, it has not been FAQ'd in the usual rules, and seems pretty cheesy.

Here is the link to the discussion:

https://themostexcellentandawesomeforum ... d-already/

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:33 am

They allowed the by the book ruling which was that the unbury is ignored, but she may remove a corpse token and take the charge. On page 33 of the rulebook it says, "Models that are not Buried ignore any effects that would cause them to Unbury." But then they're arguing that in Bete's text it says, "Unbury this model into base contact with the target. THEN, remove the target and this model may charge." So their ruling was since it says, "then," removing the corpse marker than then charging is a separate clause that doesn't rely on unburying.

So they're basically arguing over if it should be what is likely rules as intended:
- You have to unbury, then remove the marker, then charge.

Or the very literal interpretation:
- You unbury if you are buried, then remove the marker, then charge.

So I don't think she'd ever be able to "unbury" across the board while still on the board, but the very literal interpretation is still very strong, because then she basically gets a free charge/move every turn for free.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:58 am

I agree with Grantholomeu. If you aren't buried, the unbury section is ignored. A charge as a swift action is pretty awesome though.
I can see the narrative intent of the rule, but it is what it is.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:36 pm

Oh yeah, I get what they are arguing about. I guess I meant, how do you feel about allowing Bete to remove a random corpse token from anywhere on the board in order to get a free charge?

I think I won't use it in that way, since it is pretty obvious that it doesn't make sense fluff-wise. But, it would be nice if they officially faq it someday - like, have they just kind of ignored it because they think she needs the power boost?

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:38 pm

The American"s allow double masters in games.

The British don't allow you to play double masters.

What do we think of this in Japan? Should we make a house rule or let the opponent be wary?
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:11 pm

Well, it is baked into the core rules. Personally I think it's one of those things you make sure your opponent is cool with before springing it on them.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:14 pm

You mean, buy the second master with Soul Stones? It would be fun to try, but yeah, it might be better if both players did it, or at least were aware that their opponent was going to do it in advance. Some masters who don't especially work well with their keyword could be very effective as hires.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:57 pm

I wouldn't mind it as it's part of the rules. I might be proven wrong, but it usually seems like it wouldn't be worth the high soulstone cost. At least with all the masters I have, they are pretty engrained in their keyword and their keyword alone. Seamus capping everyone in sight could be worth it though.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:57 pm
I wouldn't mind it as it's part of the rules. I might be proven wrong, but it usually seems like it wouldn't be worth the high soulstone cost. At least with all the masters I have, they are pretty engrained in their keyword and their keyword alone. Seamus capping everyone in sight could be worth it though.
Yeah, that was who I was thinking of. He doesn't care that much about his keyword.

Return to “Malifaux”