Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by Primarch » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:24 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:46 pm
Primarch wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:53 pm
My Malifaux pile of shame.
+ about half a dozen models still on sprues. :oops: :oops: :oops:
That's about half an afternoon's work for you, surely? With time for tea and scones, too, no? :lol:

(I'm only laughing cos I wish I could paint half that fast :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: )
Actually, no. If they were all wearing one uniform, I'd be finished in a flash. Unfortunately there is a lot of diversity in that lot, and I don't paint single minis that fast. :lol:
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:34 pm

I was gonna say, you're posting the pile of shame so you can have a basis for when you post the pile of redemption, right?
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:31 am

If you're interested in hearing more about Wyrd/Malifaux, I found an interview with their lead designer on Youtube. It's from just before Malifaux Burns was released and covers other Wyrd games, but I found it interesting.
https://youtu.be/3FzwqSgc9QQ
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:36 am

Was an interesting interview. Believe it or not, I just wishlisted "Kentucky Route Zero" yesterday, and now a game designer of Wyrd's is recommending it :o
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:38 am

ENCOUNTERS FOR JULY GAMES DAY:

First thing's first, 30 or 35 points? Both were thrown out in the chat, but I don't think it was ever decided on. Personally I'm leaning more towards 30. I like taking more stuff just like everybody else, but I think we'll struggle to finish with 30pts. Probably shouldn't make it harder by doing 35 imo.

GAME 1:
Scenario: Masks: Covert Operation
Deployment: Masks: Wedge
Schemes: (if only I could have saved those flips for in game...)
3: Assassinate
10: Public Demonstration
11: Set the Trap
12: In Your Face
13: Secret Meetup

GAME 2:
Scenario: Tomes: Guard the Stash
Deployment: Rams: Standard
Schemes: (do I need to buy a lotto ticket????? I got 11, 12, 13 AGAIN. On top of that, the first time a 13 was out of the deck, and the second time an 11 was out of the deck due to them being the attacker's initiative flip. At least two schemes are different.)
1: Breakthrough
7: Catch and Release
11: Set the Trap
12: In Your Face
13: Secret Meetup

I'm declaring Bayou/Ulix against The Underdweller and Explorer's Society/Nexus against either Primarch or Balloonacorn.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:57 am

Another note, I learned that for shockwaves like Meredith's flask you still need LoS. On pg. 31 of the rulebook for shockwaves, it says, "drop a 30mm shockwave marker on the table within range and LoS." Also, some other models have an "Arcing Shot" ability that allows them to discard a card to ignore LoS and cover for their gun-icon abilities for the turn.

So I may have cheated a few extra damage out of Meredith, but will no longer.

I'm guessing the ruling would go poorly for Meredith, but what I'm wondering now is if she can see, for example, the left side of an enemy, could she choose to land the shockwave on the not visible right side of that enemy, knowing there are more enemies over there? Flavor-wise, it'd seem to make sense for her particular case, since she'd lob a flask, not rocket it in a straight line down the battlefield, but there are other situations where a different model would have a straight-line, shooting type of shockwave, where that wouldn't make sense. Right now I'm in the "I wish it worked, but it probably doesn't work" camp.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:06 am

I think you need LoS to the exact point you drop the marker, as the rules for Shockwaves say within LoS. A part of an enemy model may also be within LoS, (allowing you to target it), but that doesn't mean that your LoS includes the complete enemy model. I get what you mean about her throwing a flask, but if there is a specific ability for shooting like that (Arcing Shot), and she doesn't have it, then she can't do it.

I'll be bringing Guild/Marshals for my crew.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:19 am

I've never seen your Marshal crew on the board. I love their style. They look super cool.

Does that mean that you can't drop a shockwave on the back half of a model you have complete line of sight to then? Assuming you're the same size and can't see over them, I don't think you'd technically have LoS beyond the apex of the base you're looking straight at.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:41 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:19 am
Does that mean that you can't drop a shockwave on the back half of a model you have complete line of sight to then? Assuming you're the same size and can't see over them, I don't think you'd technically have LoS beyond the apex of the base you're looking straight at.
I guess not.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:52 am

I dropped in a Malifaux Discord where there are lots of tournament players and I bother them with questions they find not very difficult.

I was told that since shockwaves don't have targets, you place the marker so that some part of it is in range and some part of it is in LoS of the model making it. So it's finicky, but you can have it so just a sliver of the shockwave marker is visible to the model making it, and the rest of the marker is under or beyond the enemy model being directly hit.

Return to “Malifaux”