Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:10 pm

Balloonacorn wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:24 pm
Should there be more blocked sight lines, cover or even some nature hazardous terrain? A forest or a swamp maybe? A river with a cover bridge or some hills for sniper positions?
Yes!
Terrain should cover 1/3 of the board according to the rules. It doesn't all need to be LoS blocking, but some of it should be.
So, how do you know if you have enough terrain? Put terrain onto the mat and fill a 1'x3' area. If you can still see parts of the mat, you haven't got enough.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:44 pm

I would say the terrain covered at least 1/4 of the board. But, you are correct that it didn't really come into play much. I have a largish house, which I sometimes have brought, but Grant really has houses covered.

Some variety would be good. I suppose I will look around and try to get some trees or things during the holidays. Preferably something easily portable and not very breakable: maybe at Daiso and some train and fish shops.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:45 pm

https://ttcombat.com

This website seems to have a lot of nice and reasonably priced terrain.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:16 pm

WWWWWWHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPP...

Can't say we didn't see it coming.
- 1 less hp per.
- totems not included.
- reducing duel total by 2 by yoinking a parasite is after flip, not after cheat.
- 1 less stat in drain life aka main attack.
- finnicky thing where parasites are removed when a model is killed, probably to keep them off niche revived models.
- net 1 higher TN needed for Join the Hive.
- Playthings pushes self and two friendlies within four inches, two inches, instead of all friendlies within four inches.
- Trigger removed from Will of the Many.
- Burrowed Into the Spine can only ping one model per activation, rather than up to three if you parasited three models.

Ooooookayyyyy I know they were good and I'm biased, but still feeling like NexKids might be near unplayable now.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:10 pm

Grantholomeu wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:45 pm
https://ttcombat.com

This website seems to have a lot of nice and reasonably priced terrain.
That does look nice, but I am looking for something a bit more portable (and that doesn't require painting, ideally).

I was thinking something more along the lines of this - only Fantasy or Sci-Fi on this site unfortunately, but I guess the Fantasy stuff would work ok. What do you think?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mc ... escription

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm

MDF terrain can be fairly heavy and quite bulky. Card terrain should be a bit easier to transport if nothing else.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:11 am

Primarch wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:31 pm
MDF terrain can be fairly heavy and quite bulky. Card terrain should be a bit easier to transport if nothing else.
Well yeah, it doesn't look as nice as some other terrain. I remember TOD had something like that, and it worked fine. But maybe better for sci-fi than fantasy, and also might not look good mixed in with non-card terrain.

Anyway, I drew from Gaining Grounds 3 for the game on Sunday, Grantholomeu. If you want to try something different, let me know.

Corner Deployment
Strategy: Guard the Stash
1 Breakthrough, 4 Leave your Mark, 5 Sabotage, 6 Hidden Martyrs, 11 Set the Trap

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:53 am

The card stuff looks pretty good. Obviously it is a little flat, but so is MDF unless you are buying the expensive stuff or you put a lot of extra work into it.
Something that you can pack flat into your bag and just unfold at the venue does seem pretty awesome though.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:42 am

@The Underdweller

Thanks for the fun game today. I asked questions online and got answers from someone on the world series committee, so seems reliable.

Looks like the Grave Goo could score Breakthrough if there were no models within 4" and he'd Engulfed someone, because they technically aren't on the board.

Also the centerpoint does extend infinitely upwards, but if Austera and Twigge had wanted to drop a scheme on top of the house, they would have needed LoS, so they would have had to have been on terrain at least as tall as the 2nd floor of the house. Their ranged attack ignores LoS but the scheme drop ability does not.

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:11 am

@Grantholomeu: Thanks for the game, and for checking out the rules. Of course, buried models would not count as on the board normally, so the Grave Goo ruling makes sense.

Return to “Malifaux”