Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Balloonacorn
Veteran

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by Balloonacorn » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:57 pm

The Underdweller wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:47 am
Grantholomeu wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:57 pm
I wouldn't mind it as it's part of the rules. I might be proven wrong, but it usually seems like it wouldn't be worth the high soulstone cost. At least with all the masters I have, they are pretty engrained in their keyword and their keyword alone. Seamus capping everyone in sight could be worth it though.
Yeah, that was who I was thinking of. He doesn't care that much about his keyword.
Agreed
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:47 pm

Follow up on a rule from Balloonacorn and my game earlier:

When two status effects like Shielded and Poison would resolve at the same time ("during the end phase"), the owner of the model with the status effects chooses the order they are resolved in.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:56 am

Another rule I just realized. End of pg12 of the rulebook, "If a trigger does not list a timing, it is treated as an "after succeeding" trigger." So most attacks require you to succeed, but if they say something different you don't necessarily have to succeed.

But also defensive triggers like NexKids' "attacker gains a parasite," has no trigger listed, so they have to successfully defend themselves in order to give a parasite.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:14 am

Yet another weird thing I realized with Nexus:
Nexus, who has Will of Cadmus, can command a friendly Cadmus model to take a non-charge general action,
but NexKids' Will of the Many ability allows a friendly Cadmus model to take a general action, period.
So while the targeted model can never declare an attack action, they can take a charge and generate an attack action when being commanded by NexKids.
Probably because Nexus' Will of Cadmus is what allows the crew to see parasited models as friendly, and if she could command "friendly" enemy models to charge into other enemy models, that'd be way too powerful.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:47 am

Something I just learned: Assassinate's first reveal point for the enemy leader being at half or less hp CAN be scored by rounding up. I.e. enemy leader at 6/11 or 7/13 hp still counts. Coming from a World Series Committee member.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:26 pm

It has been a year since I started Malifaux. Here is my 2 cents. (Due to the recent increases in my costs, it is now being presented at 3 cents.)

The models are a lot better than their pictures. I have been aware of Malifaux for several years, but their models seemed a little random and the pictures on the box covers and the Weird website don’t do them justice. The true scale gives a wonderful dynamic to the game. In my crews I love the contrast between the Dreamer and Chompy or Wicked Dolls and anyone else. The crews are very thematic not only in their overall story but also in their abilities. My boy Dreamer attacks with Bad Dreams, Your Nightmare, Twist Reality, and Manifest Nightmares if he is not smacking you with a Cricket Bat.

Flipping cards is much deeper than I imagined. I thought it was like Poker but now I am feeling like it is closer to Bridge. Getting the right suit to proc a trigger can flip the table on a game. You wouldn’t think the difference between a stat 6 and 7 would be that great but when combined with the dynamics of cheating, counting cards, empty hands, positive and negative flips, stoning for suits, etc, etc, etc... is it any wonder the games take all day. I have heard a lot of podcasters say they can finish games in 2.5 hours. It seems like a pipe dream right now.

I really like the themes. I usually don’t care about the back story if the game plays well but Malifaux back stories are addictive. Did you know Teddy is not evil? You just wanted to give his owners a hug. It is not his fault Kalodi built him 10” razor claws. He is just misunderstood.

I like the lower cost. It, like every other game, is more expensive in Japan, but considering the depth, complexity and re-playablity, I think it is good value.

I don’t think there are too many broken masters. I listen to a lot of Malifaux podcasts (I spend about 3.5 hours on the train most days) and none of them agree on which is the best. There are some who are dominate in certain situations but that is part of the game, and the player should be knowledgeable and avoiding those situations. This means everything is pretty even. There are no Harlequin armies in Malifaux! Speaking of my situation, all the games I did badly in were because of my mistakes and not remembering abilities rather than the other keyword being dominate.

Last, there is a lot to remember.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:46 pm

I totally agree on all of those points, especially the last one. :lol:

The card aspect of the game is what I really love about the system (that and how much interaction it encourages between players with lots of opposed tests and alternating activations). There are so many points at which you need to make a decision, do I use this card now and maybe get a hit in, or do I save it for later when I may need a high value card to keep a key model alive. Knowing when to cheat a card in and when not to is a real skill.

In all fairness, I think games can be played a bit faster than we currently manage. I think the fact that we don't play as often as the podcasters you listen to is probably the biggest thing. More games is the solution I think. :D

There are certainly masters and crews that are seen as being stronger or weaker, but very few that will table an opponent with ease. Nexus/Cadmus is the one I have seen the most grumbling about, followed by the rest of the Explorers being generally pretty solid. Guild seems to get the worst overall results in tournaments, but they also seem to be the least played faction. A few crews such as (original, not Burns) Youko in TT are regarded as pretty weak, but even then they are certainly playable.

On the whole, 3rd Ed. seems pretty good to me. The game set up of a shared strategy and a varied scheme pool means that you shouldn't be playing the same scenario twice and you can always have a chance to win so long as you think about what your crew can do. Malifaux, as I have said before, is a game where you have to know how you win. Have a game plan, pick schemes you can achieve and play to your crew's strengths. And if all else fails, summon a bunch of gribbly monsters and murder your opponent's team in the most grisly fashion possible.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Gah, all the new crews lately look cool, but they gone and made Nurgle a Bayou crew. :lol:
Heavily armored green guy on the back of a giant snail? I just might have to buy in to Angler whenever it comes out...
I think my next keyword down the line will probably be either Savage or Angler.
Gotta finish painting all of the Jedza crew before then though.

Also, I realize his attack falls off and becomes very mediocre for an 8ss model when not part of a charge, but if you charge and have a good mask in hand, you either get to make his damage track (with a 7 stat on the atk btw) effectively 4/5/6, or 3/4/5 + stunned. That's pretty nasty.

And until now I somehow glanced over his blistering 3" move :lol: At least he gets a free 3" move at the start of his activation. I guess that makes getting charges off a bit more complicated. But it is interesting, because you can position him behind friendly models, use his free 3" move which ignores other models to move through the friendly, and then charge. That way your opponent can't tie him up and prevent him from charging. Or you could even charge and end while still behind a friendly model probably, since he has a 2" range spear/fishing pole.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:40 pm

That's really cool. Wyrd have really been on a roll with the new factions.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:16 am

Well, I couldn't now miss the chance to share the full picture with everyone. After all, a snail Knight is just so wonderfully Malifaux. :D :D :D

My next crew that I have my sights on is the Parker Barrows crew of bandits. I was always a sucker for a good western.

He has a nice 'cashing out' ability which removes scheme markers to add cards or soul stones. And the ' this is a stick up' can steal soul stones if you get the right trigger and target a master. All very thematic I suppose.

Return to “Malifaux”