Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Grantholomeu
Veteran

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:01 am

I can't remember where I saw it, but was it part of that rule where summoned models can't take the interact action the turn they are summoned? I feel like that could be a good middle ground.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:49 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:01 am
I can't remember where I saw it, but was it part of that rule where summoned models can't take the interact action the turn they are summoned? I feel like that could be a good middle ground.
That would be in the core rules on page 32 (last paragraph).

I realize that I'm not playing this weekend, but I would suggest using the most up to date rules (inc GG3), just because the rules are evolving due to new interactions and models being introduced.

Looking at GG3:
Summoned Models
In addition to being ignored for friendly Schemes and
Strategies and not taking the Interact Action on the
Turn they enter play,
models with a Summon Upgrade
cannot take the Interact Action to affect Strategy
Markers in any way.
I think it isn't a hard ban on summoned models affecting strategy markers, just a restriction on the turn they are summoned. This avoids any "gotcha" shenanigans at the end of a turn, but still allows summoners to function.
That's my reading of it anyway.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:23 am

Yeah GG3 seems fair to me. Like Primarch said, it avoid gotcha moments, but lets summoners still do their thing. And a lot of schemes and strategies aren't valid for summoned models because they'd have to be chosen at the start of the game anyways. But my vote is for the GG3 ruling.
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:24 pm

Grantholomeu wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:23 am
Yeah GG3 seems fair to me. Like Primarch said, it avoid gotcha moments, but lets summoners still do their thing. And a lot of schemes and strategies aren't valid for summoned models because they'd have to be chosen at the start of the game anyways. But my vote is for the GG3 ruling.
Sounds good to me.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:17 pm

I'll bring my mat and normal terrain. And I'm declaring Bayou Pigs btw.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:24 am

@Balloonacorn @The Underdweller

You do get to discard and not shuffle in the cards from Vivid Nightmares, because shuffling in your discard pile to your deck is actually part of the end step. And even so, in the Start Phase, there's a designated step for resolving abilities that occur during the Start Phase. It goes discard cards, draw cards, initiative flip, start phase abilities, determine pass tokens.

Also for future 3-way free for all games, I feel like we should make summoning/upgrading harder, since they're balanced around being respectable at 50ss. Future 3-way 25ss games anyways. I think a fair compromise might be to add 2 to the target number for any summoning/replacements. And perhaps for models like Meredith who can replace models without needing a target number, those abilities should be limited so you may only use them if you hadn't used them last turn. But anyways I think I'd still rather do 2v1 with equal soulstones if we have three players again.

ggs today!

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:51 am

Yeah, it was fun trying a 3 way, but it never really feels balanced. If we end up with an uneven number of players again, I would suggest the other option I mentioned before, Double Rush.

Double Rush is in Gaining Grounds 3(page 10), and is designed for four players, two on two: 2 masters on each team, each with a 10 soulstone crew. In a three player game, one of us would have to play both crews on one team, of course. The rules for Team Events are used for Double Rush (GG3 page 9) - so the models on one team would be friendly to each other, and count strategies as a team, not individually, for example.

There is no summoning allowed, so summoning in small points games does seem to be an acknowledged problem. There are also a lot of other special rules, such as a hand size being 4, and masters getting only 2 actions. There are no schemes, and 2 strategies which are fixed (Plant Explosives and Reckoning, which can both be scored from turn one onwards).

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:07 am

Huh, interesting. I'm wondering why they chose 10ss per master instead of just doing 25ss per. Then it'd effectively be a normal game and summoning would seem pretty fair, although we might have to house rule that each side could only bring one summoning master.

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:12 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:07 am
Huh, interesting. I'm wondering why they chose 10ss per master instead of just doing 25ss per. Then it'd effectively be a normal game and summoning would seem pretty fair, although we might have to house rule that each side could only bring one summoning master.
I suppose it's a timing thing? I remember some 40K team games that went on much longer than a regular game, because people tend to get chatting off topic more, or else discussing with their partner what to do, etc. With 2 masters, as well, it would be even longer.

Or maybe it's supposed to be a quick, fun match while you're waiting for something else.

Also, there are summoners and there are summoners. McMourning can technically summon Flesh Constructs, but it's not his strong suit at all. Sebastian is better, but can only summon dogs, and only if the player remembers to bring some soulstones or to use the Whisper upgrade more effectively :p

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:24 pm

Summoners, curse those handsome devils!

I think it is more complex than making it harder to summon. Not all summoners are alike. A few of the Malifaux Burns masters are now "incidental summoners" and don't require extra to summon. Some summoners already have a harder time and require resources like scarp, corpse or models to have a condition. Also, there are a few masters that can resummon their totems like Dreamer - Insomniac can do with Lord Chompy.

Additionally, I noticed that terrain played almost no role in the game on Saturday other than decoration. There were huge lanes to and from all three of us. Should there be more blocked sight lines, cover or even some nature hazardous terrain? A forest or a swamp maybe? A river with a cover bridge or some hills for sniper positions?

Just my 2 yen
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Return to “Malifaux”