Malifaux General Chat

Discussions of all things Malifaux here.
Balloonacorn
Veteran

Re: Malifaux General Chat

Post by Balloonacorn » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:20 am

I was surprised with a nice Christmas gift to end 2023. I didn't really need another complex control master for Neverborn but as it is free, I am not complaining. You have to appreciate a wife who supports your plastic addictions.

"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:17 am

I played a game of Mali against Primarch over the winter break (my showgirls vs his lady J crew) and very much enjoyed it. Sure, I lost, but I kinda felt I had a better handle on things than last time around. Said "last time around" was, unfortunately, about a year ago. I was wondering if there was anything I could do about this, as Mali is a game that does not forgive foggy memory very well. While ideally I'd like to get in some games up in Nagoya, in person, I have to accept that that's not likely to happen as often as I'd like, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me about any online alternatives such as Vassal, and (in magical christmas land?) maybe even teach me how to play using said methods?

Does anyone have any advice regarding getting started playing malifaux over the internetto, and would anyone be interested in teaching a noob how to do so?

Many thanks in advance *bows low*
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:59 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:17 am
I played a game of Mali against Primarch over the winter break (my showgirls vs his lady J crew) and very much enjoyed it. Sure, I lost, but I kinda felt I had a better handle on things than last time around. Said "last time around" was, unfortunately, about a year ago. I was wondering if there was anything I could do about this, as Mali is a game that does not forgive foggy memory very well. While ideally I'd like to get in some games up in Nagoya, in person, I have to accept that that's not likely to happen as often as I'd like, so I was wondering if anyone could advise me about any online alternatives such as Vassal, and (in magical christmas land?) maybe even teach me how to play using said methods?

Does anyone have any advice regarding getting started playing malifaux over the internetto, and would anyone be interested in teaching a noob how to do so?

Many thanks in advance *bows low*
Vassal is the main way to play Malifaux on the Internet, as far as I can tell. I played Warmachine on Vassal for quite a few years - in general it was pretty competitive, but I found a couple of players at my level I could muck about with. Probably it's the same with Malifaux.

Here is a video that can help you get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-O-RhlKrA

It looks like there are Discord Servers out there for it (looking at Wyrd Forums), so if you ask around you could probably get an invite. Otherwise, you can try to arrange games with people you know in real life, and who also are willing to play on Vassal.

I don't think I'd have time for regular games (especially since they seem to take 4-6 hours!) but if you want I could play a couple of turns with you to help you get used to the controls and things sometime.

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:05 am

Balloonacorn wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:20 am
I was surprised with a nice Christmas gift to end 2023. I didn't really need another complex control master for Neverborn but as it is free, I am not complaining. You have to appreciate a wife who supports your plastic addictions.
Cool! I have not seen Zoraida for an edition or two (The Other Dave used to play her, if I remember)

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:01 am

Balloonacorn wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:20 am

Oooo, you wouldn't happen to be looking for a Titania, Autumn Queen would you? I got the Protected Domain box (alt Ulix, alt Titania, and Erymanthian Boar) and Pig Trouble (Burt Jebson and Gracie) for Christmas, but I'd trade you alt Titania for alt Jedza.

Anyways, here are the details for our game this month via Gaining Grounds 4:

Strategy: Masks - Cloak and Dagger
Deployment: Masks - Wedge
Schemes:
2 - Death Beds
4 - In Your Face
7 - Hold Up Their Forces
8 - Espionage
11 - Take Prisoner
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:03 am

And I assume you don't wanna part with The Kurgan, but I'll pay you for him too if by any chance you don't want him. ;)
"If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems, and that's a big mistake."

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:52 am

I got Vassal up and running. It's a bit old fashioned, but seems pretty easy to use actually. You just need to download the main program here:
https://vassalengine.org
and then download the latest Malifaux 3e module here:
https://vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Malifaux
Install the program and make sure you save the module to someplace you'll remember like your desktop. Then you just have to start it up, File --> open module --> Malifaux 3e file wherever you saved it.

If anyone wants to try an online game using Vassal and Discord or something so we can talk maybe this weekend or next weekend I'd be down.

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:24 pm

Grantholomeu wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:03 am
And I assume you don't wanna part with The Kurgan, but I'll pay you for him too if by any chance you don't want him. ;)
No, I don't think I will sell the Kurgan. I may throw it in the trash out of frustration. Still have 2 vines and 2 birds to attach somewhere.

Thanks for the flips, I don't know what I am playing yet. I will see what I can get together.
"true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe."

Balloonacorn
Veteran

Post by Balloonacorn » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:57 am

Grantholomeu wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:01 am

Oooo, you wouldn't happen to be looking for a Titania, Autumn Queen would you? I got the Protected Domain box (alt Ulix, alt Titania, and Erymanthian Boar) and Pig Trouble (Burt Jebson and Gracie) for Christmas, but I'd trade you alt Titania for alt Jedza.
Sorry, didn"t realize you had offered.

Yah! I will take the reigning queen of the Neverborn and what looks like a beautiful model for Jedza who I will never use. I will have to buy her core box now so I hope you can live with contributing to my Mailfaux dependency.

Grantholomeu
Veteran

Post by Grantholomeu » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:02 am

Balloonacorn wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:57 am
Yah! I will take the reigning queen of the Neverborn and what looks like a beautiful model for Jedza who I will never use. I will have to buy her core box now so I hope you can live with contributing to my Mailfaux dependency.
Glad to be of assistance ;) I'll bring her to the January game day.

Return to “Malifaux”