WH 30K Mission 3 - Boarding Action

Information for campaigns players wish to run for any game system can be found here.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

WH 30K Mission 3 - Boarding Action

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Shortly after the 1st Legion was reunited with their Primarch Lion El'Jonson, they set up an armed patrol of the area of space surrounding Caliban. During a routine patrol, a derelict vessel of unknown origins was discovered drifting into the system. As the Dark Angel's patrol ships closed with the vessel, a crescent moon shaped warship with a large pyramid in the aft section, the ship started to power up as if it had been lying dormant whilst drifting through space. The small scout vessels were no match for the now revitalised warship and the strike cruiser 'Herald of Angels' was despatched to deal with the interloper.

Whilst the strike cruiser engaged the enemy vessel in a long range bombardment, Merir Astelan a senior master in the Dark Angels led a boarding action to strike at the heart of the enemy and sabotage what was believed to be a vital self repair system.
A tactical squad led by the cousins, Nemiel and Zahariel, was the first to find the system chamber but quickly came under attack by a seemingly endless phalanx of gleaming metal warriors wielding glowing green weaponry. Even as the warriors battled aboard the vessel a large section of the hull gave way, sucking two of the valiant marines out into the void. The cousins could only gaze in horror as the walls of the ship stitched themselves back together using some obscene Xenos craft. Suffering heavy casualties, Nemiel gave the order to withdraw, the objective so close but protected by a far superior force. Master Astelan himself chose that instant to enter the fray, teleporting aboard the vessel with a retinue of Dark Angel Terminators. The metallic xenos were no match for the veteran Terran marines and fell before lightning claws and relic blade.
Seeing his opportunity, Astelan gave the order to destroy the device and withdraw from the ship.

Following the success of the boarding action, the Herald of Angels pummelled the enemy vessel into chunks of debris and scattered the wreckage over a wide area to ensure it wouldnt rebuild itself.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: WH 30K Mission 3 - Boarding Action

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:55 pm

This game was a lot of fun to play. Rather than playing on an open table, we played over a Space Hulk set (using every inch of the boards, rather than just the usual squares). This made for a lot of short range firefights and every model was in rapid fire range right from the beginning. Not mentioned in the mission report above is my Dreadnought which squished a full unit of Necron warriors before slowly chewing it's way through a unit of destroyers. Despite having it's arms gaussed off, it held it's own and prevented Badruck from sending reinforcements where he needed them.
I think Badruck's Necron lord must have been knocked down 3 or 4 times, only to get back up again. At the end of the game, he resurrected for a final time, but was just too far away to contest the objective. My tactical squad didnt do very much apart from get shot to bits by gauss weapons and then get in the way when I tried to charge Zahariel and his force weapon into the lord. Ah well, I'm sure I haven't seen the last of those pesky 'crons. Just when you think you've knocked them all down, they start to get back up again. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Campaigns”