Which's best for multiple-wizards rosters among basic lores?

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
ashmie
Wargod

Re: Which's best for multiple-wizards rosters among basic lo

Post by ashmie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am

You often call me aschmie, just saying.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Actually, I mispel your two names most often trying to remember the right spelling for each of you and then correcting the wrong and mistaking the correct. Then it gets blurred. :(

Hence, why I'm "Joseph" in real life (and not "Joe") and "job" (and not "JO") online.
Last edited by job on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:17 pm

I have only really used tactic with Beastmen, who benefit greatly from the Lore attribute, or Dark Elves with Shadow.
A couple of things to remember if you do try it are....

1) Some kind of power dice generating item or similar is essential. Beasts have one and Dark Elves have an innate spell which can generate more dice.
2) does the lore complement your army and style of play. For example, the Lore of Beasts works well with combat oriented Beastmen but wouldn't work with a gun line army.
3) if you are making an all comers list, will your lore be useful against most armies. Lore of metal is useful against heavily armored opponents but not so useful against armies with little or none.
This might seem like simple advice, but I hope it helps.
Morituri nolumus mori!

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:I have only really used tactic with Beastmen, who benefit greatly from the Lore attribute, or Dark Elves with Shadow.
A couple of things to remember if you do try it are....

1) Some kind of power dice generating item or similar is essential. Beasts have one and Dark Elves have an innate spell which can generate more dice.
2) does the lore complement your army and style of play. For example, the Lore of Beasts works well with combat oriented Beastmen but wouldn't work with a gun line army.
3) if you are making an all comers list, will your lore be useful against most armies. Lore of metal is useful against heavily armored opponents but not so useful against armies with little or none.
This might seem like simple advice, but I hope it helps.
That is very wise. I really agree with point #1 the most. The other two points are fairly common sense, but I guess any player can forget them.

As for generating those power dice, I know the DE spell is powerful. The VC's item capturing dispel dice is good. The TK's have a nice battlefield item storing power dice for later. The Goblins have mushrooms that are pretty effective IMHO.

Then lore of death can create some power dice using their attribute. The other device might be to expand the number of spellcasters giving yourself more channeling rolls.

Is there anything else out there?
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 pm

To Job: got it, thanks man.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:54 pm

job wrote:As for generating those power dice, I know the DE spell is powerful. The VC's item capturing dispel dice is good. The TK's have a nice battlefield item storing power dice for later. The Goblins have mushrooms that are pretty effective IMHO.

Then lore of death can create some power dice using their attribute. The other device might be to expand the number of spellcasters giving yourself more channeling rolls.

Skaven can buy items that boost their power dice and grant extra (and better) channeling attempts.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Has anyone used Lore of Light much? What is that one like?

asch
Veteran

Post by asch » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 am

Thank you guys for very active discussion! It's very instructive to me:D

As for Remains in Play spells or not, job seems to catch the point. Remains in Play spells are very annoying to magic-oriented armies but very easy to remove for armies doing without magic, such as Dwarfs, pure Khornate Chaos and like. It makes them more difficult to utilize that higher power levels makes Remains in Play spells more difficult not only to dispell in the following turns, but also to cast. Lord level wizards seem to be necessary to make them work well.

MtP has pointed out a very important point for magic-oriented roster-making. His point #1, necessity of ways to boost our casting dice.
I'm afraid the Empire is a bit behind in this aspect. Besides some generic magic items, the Empire has only the Hurricanum, which give us one more casting dices.
Lore of Fire seems to be good in this point, because of its lore attribute and Ruby Ring of Ruin.
I also like to point TK's Hierotitans are very nasty because they give a extra casting dice each time a wizard casts a spell and move along with him.

@TEN
I've used Lore of Light several times. In my opinion, it is a kinda mildly effective lores, except in the battles against Undeads or Daemons.
The low power levels of its spells are very convenient to manage your magic phases, but you would almost always have some spells ineffective for your army and/or against your enemy. For example, you will hardly need Light of Battle if you play TK. If you can gladly swap an ineffective spell with an easy-to-cast magic missile (Burning Gaze), Lore of Light will suit you.

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:00 am

Some Tomb King info for those who may come up against these dusty but deadly foes :) :
The TK's have a nice battlefield item storing power dice for later.
Not quite. The Casket of Souls gives an extra D3 power dice to the pool, but these are almost always used (but not compulsory) to cast the bound spell of the casket itself.
TK's Hierotitans are very nasty because they give a extra casting dice each time a wizard casts a spell and move along with him.
Almost. The Heirotitan has the power to add +D3 to a wizard's casting attempts if they are within 12".

Hope the info helps the next time you come up against the dead of the desert!

Regarding the discussion:

I think with 8th edition direct damage spells and magic missles are useful but not largely effective because the biggest threat comes in the form of massed infantry units. Such units do not fear the loss of 3 to 4 individuals.

I think a magic lore that had a lot of low to middle cost hex and augment spells would be more valuable. I know it depends on the style of your army of course. Though when I played Mike and he was able to cast the beast lore signiture spell 'Wyssan's Wildform' multiple times with different wizards, I thought 'Hey! That is really cool and effective!' :)

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 pm

kojibear wrote:I think a magic lore that had a lot of low to middle cost hex and augment spells would be more valuable.
That would be Lore of Life - although it's signature spell is not especially useful, most of the other spells are useful augments or direct damage spells - The Dwellers Below has a very high cost, but the average spell in this lore is pretty reasonable. I haven't used it with multiple casters, but my Slann tend to have lots of power dice so can cast a fair number of spells from it during the magic phase.

I have also had good luck with Lore of Heavens - since it's the only lore my Skink Priests can take it would be by default the only lore I could take multiple times, at least in low points games. The signature spell is good against any army with a ranged attack, and it has lots of great offensive spells.
job wrote:As for generating those power dice, I know the DE spell is powerful. The VC's item capturing dispel dice is good. The TK's have a nice battlefield item storing power dice for later. The Goblins have mushrooms that are pretty effective IMHO.

Lizardman Slann Mage Priests' have a power called "The Focused Rumination" which gives them a free power die with every spell they cast.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”