The End Times and Beyond

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Re: The End Times and Beyond

Post by Mike the Pike » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Hmmm, the Empire(?) look like a lot like Fantasy Space Marines. The Chaos stuff looks much better. The Marauders on foot were starting to look pretty dated anyway and the Chaos Warriors, while looking better, didn't look very Chaotic with their static poses.
As always, we'll just have to wait and see what happens on Independence Day. There are plenty of options for all of us if the new rules/system really does suck.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:36 pm

I've seen the phrase Sigmarines being used for the new empire minis.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Surely everyone who wants to play 40k already had the option to play 40k? Did nobody mention this at GW hq? Nobody? Different rules alone does not a new world create. It actually has to look different too.

Not knocking the technical aspects of the minis - they're far more dynamic than the old ones and generally have good sculpts, but by Sigmar's Golden Throne they look like 40k minis. It seems a very typical GW response to a sales issue to just look at what's selling well and say "make more of those" instead of actually doing some research and trying something new. Or even just a teeny bit different.

Disappointed in the lack of vision/imagination.

*edit* just had a thought: IF they are actually far cleverer than previously displayed and the similarity to marines is because they're actually marines, I would not only forgive em, I'd be impressed. If they manage to properly, officially fold the old world/bubble realm into the 40k background then having the soldiers of Sigmar look like marines would make perfect sense. That'd work for me. Reading the fluff under the chaos army kinda suggests it might be possible.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:54 pm

Absolutely no interest.

I don't like the thematic direction, especially for the Empire. (I almost wrote "Space Marines".) I don't like the round bases. Maybe most especially I don't care for the dimensions; small numbers, no ranks, no numberless footsloggers.

It just looks like a cheap version of Warmahordes. (I'm sure the price tag won't be cheap.)
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:44 am

They're high quality sculpts, if you like that sort of thing as a fantasy direction. I don't like the aesthetic at all however, they're too busy and unlike what went before. The empire knights may as well be a blood angel unit. The marauders look okay, but it's very Dark Vengeance, fine for 40k, but as MiJ says, it's all a bit redundant.. I wouldn't knock anyone for buying them and giving it a go, but this isn't what I want at all.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:18 am

me_in_japan wrote:.

*edit* just had a thought: IF they are actually far cleverer than previously displayed and the similarity to marines is because they're actually marines, I would not only forgive em, I'd be impressed. If they manage to properly, officially fold the old world/bubble realm into the 40k background then having the soldiers of Sigmar look like marines would make perfect sense. That'd work for me. Reading the fluff under the chaos army kinda suggests it might be possible.
That'd be great if they did.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:23 pm

Oh my goodness! :)
OK I'll play it but only if there are disco lights and this is playing as the entrance music for the Sigmarines https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb8664H ... d&index=11
Incredible. What the hell happened? haha.

I won't be buying it but I'm up for playing if anyone else wants to take the plunge. Otherwise it's Oldhammer all the way. I think I have the third rulebook somewhere.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Druchii.net -- Mischief, Mayhem, Dark Elves

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 pm

As I see it:-we have the phrase to 'jump the shark', to refer to an event which is so ridiculous in a TV show's history as to ruin our enjoyment of what follows. Lesser known is to 'nuke the fridge', which does the same for movies. If we need one for gaming, to 'Age of Sigmar' will do us. They really Age of Sigmared Warhammer.

Looking at your golden man there, he just seems so sterile and lacking in character.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:43 am

The two in the background put the Flash Gordon theme song into my head. ugh :|
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”