Vampire counts rumored for January release.

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Vampire counts rumored for January release.

Post by Primarch » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:30 am

I like the Coven and the Mortis throne, but I am undecided about the base of each.
That said, all the other new models are aces. The new Isabella and Krell inparticular are massive improvements on the old ones.

None of these models will be making their way into my army anytime soon sadly. Damn this Spevna stance of mine. :lol: C'mon GW why can't you be nice and kind instead of greedy and mean?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Isabella is ok (altho much better than previously, fo sho), Krell is very nice, and the coven thingy is pretty nifty, too. Everything else is meh ok, except the vargheists, who have goofy looking teeth.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Wow they look cool too bad I am not a VC Player.... cheers big ears to Jus though you must be so pleased...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:05 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Isabella is ok (altho much better than previously, fo sho), Krell is very nice, and the coven thingy is pretty nifty, too. Everything else is meh ok, except the vargheists, who have goofy looking teeth.
wow what a girnch that is about as negative as I have ever heard from you about models that are actually freakishly cool.... ;)
MIJ
MIJ

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:15 am

bah, humbug :D

sorry - i didnt mean to come across as grumpy. I do actually like most of that stuff - Krell is a very nice mini, and could maybe even be worth picking up just for the painting. I dont have any undead minis at the mo...

Isabella is nice enough, but just doesnt press my buttons.

The Coven cart is definitely a nice mini. Ridiculously over-bling (which I dont like - it shows an alarming trend in GW stuff to subsitute substance for style) , but the floozies are very nice models and the rest of it could look damn fine if it didnt have a neon paint scheme. Something broody and sepulchre would be very effective.

The Mortis Engine itself is pretty cool, and the swarming ghosts around it are nice. I dont like the guys on the horses at the front, and again, it could do without being neon turquoise. A darker paint job would make it look much better. I'd like to see SkelletetS from CMoN paint one.

Hexwraiths and the knights are fine. Not outstanding, but nice enough minis. I guess I'm just not a cavalry man. At least they look like theyre moving, which is a good thing in cavalry models. One thing which is very good, tho, is that the steed halves are interchangeable. I've been building cold ones recently, and there are a grand total of 2 cold one sculpts in the box of 5. Not best pleased with that. Likewise the option to reposition the spears is good. So, aesthetically theyre fine, but technically they seem very nicely done.

I maintain that the vargheists have goofy looking teeth, tho. They seem to suffer from CG plastic-ism, too, inasmuch as they have extensive large flat untextured areas (e.g. cheeks, the arm bits of the wings)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:30 pm

fair enough... I guess they could look better...
MIJ
MIJ

jus

Post by jus » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:11 am

I LOVE ridiculously over bling. The coven throne is a definite buy. no idea how how I'm going to transport it yet though. The neon green glow is the color GW uses to represent ethereal, and I like.
I have to agree with MIJ about the vargheists, they do look a bit shite. I think shome sort of head swap will be in order there.

The other big news is, they have canned necromancy spam DUN DUn DUN and have added a would regaining lore attribute.
no word on the dread van hels yet.

wind of undeath has been nerfed a bit and is now a magical vortex doing d6 s3 no armor save hits per rank thing. :?

jus

Post by jus » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:42 am

Thoughts on the not-so-long awaited new Vampire counts army book.

Very interesting. Several little adjustments to unit stat lines and the, some would say, sacriligeous removal of must field arcane items has, I think, shifted the army back to it's intended slaugter by the dozen, shambolic horde of undead style, from the near universal and altogether stagnant routine of bare minimum ghouls and then spam grave guard trend. Units can't march unless they are within 12" of the general or are themselves vampires. mm shambling horde indeed.

Every unit has recieved a points reduction and most have either lost something like a WS here (i.e grave guard now only WS3 and no magic attacks :? , zombies - WS 1 and ASL......) or gained a toughness there (i.e zombies T3. :D). This internal balancing ensures that certain units are not necessary better than others, and a wonderful world of variety opens up before you.

Characters, from which this army remains very dependent on, have gone up in price. Yuck. but have been given the option of purchasing mundane equipment (yes, they couldn't do that in the last primitive book.) and all the list of vampiric powers has been cut in half making alot of the old builds and combos unavailiable, which is not necessarily a bad thing, since new combos and builds open up, and there are a few nasty ones I've managed to come up with.

Note, these options cost points. Lots of points.
What vampires can do now besides glitter and sparkle among other things:
-fly
-drink blood on the roll of one 6 if successfully causing a wound(s), thus regaining a (one) lost wound. ( The Hunger special rule)
-dazzle you with their eyes making you reroll successful hits failing a LD check at -3. (beguile)
-Always strike first ..at a price of 30 points (quickblood)
-beat your head in again and again (red fury)
-Negate your BSB when rolling for Fear checks
-be more fighty and less casty
-be more casty and less fighty
-lower your LD just by standing next to you.

No more raise spam. No more vanhals danse charge. No more auto lock on winds of undeath and produces free spirit hosts. No more free plus 2 magic dice, 4+ ward banner against shooting, weapon skill hat......
They've taken away my Weapon skill hat. I LOVED THAT HAT. :lol:

lots of new units including FLYING monstrous infantry (imagine flying minotaur, but not a minotaur) ethereal fast cavalry, massive chariot mount, massive support engine, massive dead bat, yes i'm including this as new).

All in all I'm quite satisfied with the new book. I would have like it if phil kelly didn't just plagerise 85% of gav thorpe's fluff and unit entries, into the new book, but the updates that, at first glance looks like a nerf, but taken as a whole seems to work out as a sum of its parts. Vampire counts are definately not stronger than they were, and in many respects have been weakened, but I think it will be an army that is lot more fun to play and a lot more fun to play against.

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:58 am

Hazza to the blood drinkers.
MIJ
MIJ

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:57 am

I have to admit after seeing and reading a lot on the counts, I'm quite impressed. Besides a few of the Lhamia (older ones, not new) models, I've never been a fan of the undead. But with all they have done, they have actually become a tempting army to get.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”