Suggestions for Side Games

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Suggestions for Side Games

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:25 am

With the campaign map up and players starting to plan out where they will deploy, I think it is time we had a chat about Side Games.

Whilst the Main Games (those scheduled due to armies meeting on the campaign map), are kind of compulsory, Side Games aren't. They are an option to allow players who have no scheduled Main Games to get in on the action a little. They are also intended as a way to introduce more of a story to the campaign than just Army A moved to Hex Y and fought Army B.

Players are free to challenge anyone they want to a Side Game, but should accept that not everyone will always have the time or opportunity to play. You can introduce your own rules, set up your own objectives and generally let your imagination run wild (with your opponents consent of course). Just remember that usually!a Side Game cannot overturn the result of a Main Game without both players agreeing and having a good reason to do so. A Main Game win is always a win and a loss is always a loss.

One key point that should be made is that Side Games should never be simply picked from the core book. Ideally players should craft their own unique missions. Set objectives that both players have a chance to achieve, though the objectives for each player need not be the same. Armies don't need to be balanced, so long as the underdog has a chance to 'win'. E.g. In a Last Stand scenario the defender should be significantly outnumbered, but can win the game if they delay the enemy force for long enough.

As stated in the campaign rules, all of the usual benefits/penalties of main games (experience, gaining hexes etc) are not used unless both players explicitly agree to use them beforehand. If you use the experience system, you should also use the injuries and equipment rules to balance things out. Gains should be balanced against risks. That said, you may decide that if a specific objective is achieved that one unit or character gains experience even if you aren't using those rules.

You are free to set your own win/loss conditions for side games and your own rewards/penalties. However, any reward given should only be used against the same opponent. E.g. you play a side game where the winner gains the use of a special unit in their next game. It is a little unfair to spring this on a third party, so the special unit is only usable against the opponent from the Side Game.

As with every part of the campaign, all of these rules are at the option of the people playing. Feel free to tweak, adjust or ignore as you feel appropriate.

So, having said all that and laid out some guidelines, lets keep this thread for making suggestions for Side Games. Keep things simple, you can flesh out your ideas when you agree to play a game. Challenges for a side game as well as setting objectives etc are best done through PM.

Some suggestions:

A raid on a village.
A heroic last stand.
Intercepting an enemy baggage train.
A coastal invasion to form a beach head.
Seizing a river crossing to allow you to outflank the enemy.
A scouting party fleeing from a larger force to deliver a report to their own side.
A chance encounter between the vanguards of two armies.
An ambush of a large force marching down the road.
Hunting down a monster (one player plays a large monster, the other a band of heroes).
An assassination attempt on an enemy hero.
Alliance negotiations gone wrong.
A rescue attempt for a captured personality or item.
An honor duel.

Feel free to add your own ideas to this list, you can use your imagination or copy something from a book, movie or even historical events.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Re: Suggestions for Side Games

Post by kojibear » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:10 am

Re the side game played last Sunday at Joshin between Job, Asch, Tenorikuma and I, it was not agreed upon prior to the game, but I would like to suggest that the characters involved gain experience or personality. Thoughts?

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 am

I think that if we can gain experience in side games (although I thought the draft rules said side games didn't allow for gaining experience) then the game between Asch and company should be applied. A lot of us thought into putting characters on the field and having names for everyone when challenges were issued. It would only befitting that if any experience was gained then it should be added. (Although I think the dwarves didn't do anything of significance.)

After all, this game was our first game of the campaign, so nobody how things were to work. And it was agreed prior to the game it was part of the campaign "fluff" wise.

As the Dwarf player I would like to nominate Tenorikuma's Glade guard that guarded the post, shot down 10 slayers, then cut another down in combat, and even though they lost 4 or 5 of their number, stayed very cool and repulsed the the slayers from the building! Then went on to rear charge the Imperial knights, helping to sway the contest in the favor of the Wood Elves! I was very impressed by the unit. ;)

(Also I think we should post some of the nominations. We want these characters to build renown, right? :D )
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 am

You're supposed to decide all that prior to the game that way you can keep track of which characters were carrying what items and if anything happened to them post battle.
If you want to give out experience etc then there is nothing stopping you, but it's easier all round if you track everything from the start of the game and tally it up at the end. Where there any personalities present and what happened to them? Which magical items were dropped or lost? Etc. If the four of you want to give out experience, I would suggest limiting it to one or two of the Wood Elf heroes.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

asch
Veteran

Experience Points from Side Game

Post by asch » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:57 pm

If it is allowed with consesus of all player involved, even if in hindsight, to award valour in side games with experience points, I say yes to awarding wood elves for the side game in last Sunday.
As to nomination, I recommend the Great Eagle (of Tenorikuma, I remember) who successed Moral test when charged by my Knights and his BSB who gave moral support to the eagle.

kojibear
Legend

Re: Experience Points from Side Game

Post by kojibear » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:35 pm

asch wrote: As to nomination, I recommend the Great Eagle (of Tenorikuma, I remember) who successed Moral test when charged by my Knights and his BSB who gave moral support to the eagle.
Agreed. That was one brave eagle. (Though he did die bravely, too, right?) BSB may be some kind of eagle friend or beast master perhaps to inspire such courage :)

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:48 pm

asch wrote:If it is allowed with consesus of all player involved, even if in hindsight, to award valour in side games with experience points, I say yes to awarding wood elves for the side game in last Sunday.
As to nomination, I recommend the Great Eagle (of Tenorikuma, I remember) who successed Moral test when charged by my Knights and his BSB who gave moral support to the eagle.
I totally agree. :D :!: I was thinking the very same as I rode to work this morning. That was one brave bird, but I think the bird also was horribly maimed.(Although I think a hero, even a hero avian, can cheat death. :D )

I suppose the BSB (name?) is an animal-lover and fought to save the wounded creature. Also he certainly helped cheer the Elves into a battle fury and helped them hold back the crush of knights, skirmishers and dwarves. He should be exalted for his important service.

Of course, in the future I guess we should abide by what Prim wrote above, although I was very uncertain how and what it meant for magic weapons or bonuses to be given out.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:38 pm

asch wrote:If it is allowed with consesus of all player involved, even if in hindsight, to award valour in side games with experience points, I say yes to awarding wood elves for the side game in last Sunday.
Good suggestion. That one leadership roll greatly influenced the course of the battle.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”