New chaos daemons

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
Tenorikuma
Champion

Re: New chaos daemons

Post by Tenorikuma » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 am

It looks like they took the old Demon tongue-in-cheek silliness and added a dose of Cthulhu when they should have gone more H.R. Giger.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:58 am

It does kind of seem to me that they were aiming for old-school RoC. They missed. Badly. But still, I kinda get he feeling that was the intent. I think that with a better paint job and a LOT of conversion work, some of the concepts could be made to work. The wings on the blight buzzers look quite useful. If they had a much better body (and head! Ye gads!) then they could be nice ideas. There's definitely horrific potential for abuse as Blight Drone proxies. (With aforementioned conversion/resculpt). The riders are pretty much universally poo. I actually quite like the Tzeentch chariot (the flamy one), but I've always thought Tzeentch stuff should look bloody odd.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 am

Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:I kinda like the Tzeentch chariot thingy, but man are those some over-the-top designs in general.
The Herald chariot which is ... not awful, or the Want's To Be a Tree chariot which is? :D
I... actually meant the Tree one. :lol: It has a certain charming Ian Miller-esque silliness.

I think, putting it that way, I agree with MiJ - they really do seem to be shooting for a John Blanche / Ian Miller feel. Missing, generally, but I think that's the aim.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 16 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 am

Personally, I hate John Blanche's artwork. He has done a good job recruiting decent artists (and some so-so ones) for the studio team, but I really don't like his own pieces.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Colonel Voss

Post by Colonel Voss » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 am

Spevna wrote:
Primarch wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:I kinda like the Tzeentch chariot thingy, but man are those some over-the-top designs in general.
The Herald chariot which is ... not awful, or the Want's To Be a Tree chariot which is? :D

Between the Chaos Dinobots, Belial, pretty much the entire Hobbit monster/bad guy range and these things, did GW fire all of their real sculptors? The Perry's and Jes had better be hard at work on the rest of the 40K range or GW is going to find it's player base dwindling to die hards and the blind.

They all fell out of the ugly tree, hitting every branch on the way down. They then got up, dusted themselves off, walked over to the fugly tree, climbed it, and jumped off that just to be doubly sure.
You're being too kind there, seriously.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:46 pm

I like the Herald of KHORNE
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:09 am

Speechless. I definitely wouldn't buy these but I can see how some teenagers might dig them, their Mums would freak though to see them. Quite like the stand alone Slanesh minis but the chariot just reminds me of gay pride in Brighton on a bad trip. Not in a good way. :lol:
They've got a great idea here in principle. Lovecraft meets GW should in theory work but they've not quite pulled it off. Unfathomable. :) :o

Honestly though I feel the Photoshopped painting on the minis might not do them justice. If you get a painter with enough skill and patience for all the small pieces they could be made to look good. I'm finding I do a better job of painting something if the mini is simplistic and has more space on the model. If Liam asked me for these minis I'd say, have you thought about Empire or Orcs? :mrgreen:
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”