The End Times and Beyond

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
DarkElves>All
Warrior

Re: The End Times and Beyond

Post by DarkElves>All » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:48 pm

Colonel Voss wrote:The two in the background put the Flash Gordon theme song into my head. ugh :|

Update from a supplier writing on Dakka:
-It's not 9th edition WFB, its a totally different game. There is no 9th edition coming. There is no huge rule book coming. Age of Sigmar is the main product.

-Most of the leaks on the internet are wrong. I'll be able to confirm this Thursday. In particular the bit about different formations is incorrect.

-The 96 page book is a hobby book, painting, history, how to play examples etc. The 4 pages of rules is indeed the rules. Laminated.

-Each unit in the game has a War Scroll that has the rules specific to that unit. So rules for each artillery piece will be on that unit's scroll, each monster will have a scroll, etc.

-The 4 pages of rules and all War Scrolls will be free and online July 4th at midnight. This will be a living document.

lets say that again, since some of the words like "free" may seem surprising to some folks

- The 4 pages of rules and all War Scrolls will be free and online July 4th at midnight. This will be a living document

-Cost is 125.00 in the US

-There may be additional books in the near future, hobbyist/collectors items. Not at all needed for the game, and may not even have the rules in the them. Age of Sigmar: The Big Book of pictures and how to paint....etc. There is no HC big rulebook like we had in WFB, no 3 rule books in a slipcover like in 40k. Just the Age of Sigmar box. And the rules for that box are online and free along with rules for all the old models in your army.

-Supposedly doesn't matter how things are based.

-Scales well from skirmish to large battles. Leave your models ranked and on bases if you like.
Druchii.net -- Mischief, Mayhem, Dark Elves

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:41 pm

And some more from Warseer:
A big thank you to Anthony from thesustainablecenter for the following information. Follow Ant @TSustainableC and on his youtube channel.

From my friend who I game with weekly that owns a store:

From GW. Just got off the call with them:

1. There will be no rule book. Ever.

2. All rules will be free. for ever.

3. All models will come with a “scroll” with its stats and rules.

4. All scrolls will be dowloadabel for free on their site starting July 2nd. I will get it all on the 2nd.

5. ALL current miniatures will be supported. they are producing scrolls for every single miniature they current sell.

6. The new boxed set comes with 18 good guys and a hero, 29 chaos and a hero, dice, ruler, 4 page booklet for rules, and 96 page fluff book that sets the background. $125.retail

7. There will be no new 9th edition. ever. this is the new game they will support.

8. They don’t think that’s a problem, as you will be able to use your armies and play it how ever you want. there are no complicated movement rules. Movement is very fluid.

9. they once again said they are a miniatures company, not a games company. but with that said, they want to produce miniatures and support them with a game that lets you use as many or all of your miniatures as you like. so if you want to play with a few fine, or a bunch fine too.

10. rules. it’s a turn base game. you roll off before the beginning of each turn.
there will be magic rules, maybe even cards, not yet.
there are some scenarios in the 96 page book, but the idea is to encourage creating and playing to as many diffrent scenarios as possible (like saga)
it’s still diced based.
bases are no longer important. since movement is so fluid. they chose round because models look cooler on them. you cana keep playing with squares and movement trays.

11. fluuf will be handled with the models as they come out. tons of new things for all factions to be released.

12. no limited edition stuff. but if models don’t sell they will migrate to direct sales on their website (special order) and iof people still don’t buy them, they will be not be supported, but instead will be discontinued once the stock is depleted.

13. Game seems to be fast, and furious.

14. there are no more “armies” persay. instead you build your forces based on the category at the bottom of each battle scroll, :Stormcast Eternal”, “Chaos” “Magical” Elves” Old ones, skaven/dark forces (or whateveer they’re called) etc.

15. the fluff is as rumored:
Old world totally gone. Sigmar saves a bunch of sould (presumably many) of all races.
He discover 8 realms. and populates them. then sets up way-gates to each, and shoots them via lightning bolts onto the worlds.
then they work to stave off chaos. i super simplified this here. sounds much cooler than i just explained.

16. they assured me it’s all about playing how we want, and them being able to sell new models to new people who want to get into a new game, but don’t want 175 models.

17. they fully understand that the scene will now have folks who play with lots of modles and people who play with a few.

18, they couldn’t tell me yet, but it seems the first to be supported will be Elves, Chaos, Humans. new elven stuff for sure.

19. all new scenery and 2×2 tiles for the battle boards.

20. as many of us have been saying for over a year now. it is a totally different game. no more warhammer fantasy. no 9th edition. rules are to be this 4 page pdf period. there will be no 185 page book in the future, or army books. they will have campaign books, fluff books, and so on, but the game has been set up to be about how the players want to play it within the age of sigmar rules environment (guidleines really).
Fantasy is now completely dead. and this new game wants to give us the flexibility to write our own version of the game.

seems fairly interesting if it pans out. Here they are taking a page directly from rules such as Black Powder. interesting actually when you realize that original warhammer fantasy and black powder were written by Rick Priestly. they went back to the master for this…at least in spirit.

The overall idea is:

SPEND MONEY ON MINIS, AND DON’T SPEND MONEY ON A BUNCH OF RULES

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:46 pm

...and some more leaks:

https://twitter.com/Chumphammer

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm quite tempted to give this a try actually.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:55 pm

If I had any strong feelings about this one way or the other, this is where I would post them....

Since I don't, I will instead post a link to Shadow Storm, a set of modifications to Hail Caesar by Adrian McWalter, the writer of the Albion Triumphant books for Black Powder.

http://adyswargamesden.com/shadow-storm ... fantasy-2/

It's still a work in progress and there are a few typos, but overall, it looks playable.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm...actually curious as to how this pans out. Sufficiently so that I'd download the rules.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Yeah, does those Sigmarines don't do much for me. More than a bit too "high" fantasy for me. I like my sword and sorcery with a layer of honest mortal sweat, and grime. The old "Old World" was the world according to Bosch. The new "Old World" looks like one of these MMORPGs, just minus the boobs I imagine.
@Ashmie,Darkelvesall- Yes! That's it! Made my morning!
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:54 am

High fantasy, yes, that's quite what puts me off about this new direction. No to the minis, but if the rules and pdfs to play existing armies are actually going to be free then I'll at least download them. 4 pages seems a bit scanty, but so are the rules to chess. There won't be much of interest going on movement wise though. I expect spells and weapon profiles will be in the scrolls.

ah, now this...
Primarch wrote:...a link to Shadow Storm, a set of modifications to Hail Caesar by Adrian McWalter, the writer of the Albion Triumphant books for Black Powder.

http://adyswargamesden.com/shadow-storm ... fantasy-2/

It's still a work in progress and there are a few typos, but overall, it looks playable.
...sounds more like it. Between that, 8th and 3rd, there are tons of options, even without Golden Hawkmen Attack Game.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:50 pm

Chunky mofos:

And. Here. We. Go.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 43158.page

Scroll down for the WD leaks.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:32 am

There's an interesting thread started by Avian over on Warseer, regarding how it plays. Worth a read.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... -AoS-rules
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”