The End Times and Beyond

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
DarkElves>All
Warrior

Re: The End Times and Beyond

Post by DarkElves>All » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:47 am

Konrad wrote: "tabletop WOW", well, they are not making this stuff for crusty old guys like us, but our kids. ..... Times and aesthetics change.
True that. They need to bring in new players and this game is designed for the tweenie demographic. It's their prerogative and I wish them success in keeping their company afloat.

But that doesn't mean I have to like what they are doing. And the "rule of cool" is always a good touchstone for making things purchasable; pretty much every big geek-time hit or franchise over the past 30 years in movies, TV, and to a lesser extent, computer games, has appealed to both adults and teenagers alike; Star Trek, Star Wars, Alien + Aliens, Blade Runner, Terminator, Predator, Braveheart, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, 300, Game of Thrones, Marvel franchise movies, etc, etc.

Space Marines also appeal big time ...but will cannibalising the existing 40k player base work?
Druchii.net -- Mischief, Mayhem, Dark Elves

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:53 pm

DarkElves>All wrote:
Konrad wrote: "tabletop WOW", well, they are not making this stuff for crusty old guys like us, but our kids. ..... Times and aesthetics change.
True that. They need to bring in new players and this game is designed for the tweenie demographic. It's their prerogative and I wish them success in keeping their company afloat.
I'm not so sure. The aesthetics possibly, but the fact that the new game arguably relies quite heavily on a 'beer and pretzel' approach to be fun - as the final section of the rules suggests, I'm not sure the game will be successful with youngsters. Well, I guess being able to play with whatever models you want with no restrictions will be enticing for young players, but I'm not sure the game will have staying power with their demographic if they cannot find a degree of negotiated fairness, which if I remember correctly - though it is getting harder to ;) - was quite a challenge at 12 years old.

I am not sure just WHAT GW is trying to achieve with this new game. Time will tell as it always does.

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Lord Tremendous on Age of Sigmar

Bring a hanky for the first seven minutes of this :cry:

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:43 pm

This is info from an interview with a GW rep at Forge World day explaining Age of Sigmar:
http://natfka.blogspot.jp/2015/07/gw-an ... s.html?m=1

Some good info on the future of the game like there being no more Warhammer Fantasy Battle and an end of the Orcs faction.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:09 pm

Here's another interview with the development team:

Age of Sigmar Interview

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Possibility that Slaanesh is on the chopping block as well as FB:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ost7491331

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:22 am

Holy moly

You may want to turn the volume on your speakers down before watching the video linked on the page above, it's pretty loud. :D

And I just found this.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Very chucklesome posts, fellers. Hitler reaction to AoS particularly good!

According the article Job linked to, the comedy rules are only there for the old minis and units. So, although the rules are free, and GW generously allow you to "use your old minis" (bare minimum they could do under the circs) you are patronised and made to feel like a complete tool for doing so.
Reminds me of this:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMjqlVcLCmg

Burning your toys though..that is a rather silly reaction. Can't people understand that GW isn't the only game in town?
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm

That chaos shield is interesting. Could that new sign be Malal? Maybe Slanesh was deemed too pervy for a younger market?

That guy who burnt his minis is an attention seeker. No different to guys who punish their kids and upload it to YouTube to show what "great fathers" they are. This guys is obviously a "real gamer".

I understand that people are letdown and pissed off, but it's not as if editions 1-8 suddenly ceased to exist.

Pick the one you and your mates like, and play that.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Death Holy Death going out like a true Dark Elf player :lol:

I support his actions. It's a protest against GW. People rage quit all the time and the suits don't notice. But this is the sort of thing that will get back to them, and let them know how just much they have ****** off some of the existing WFB playerbase.

They may not care, but at least they have been informed.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”