The End Times and Beyond

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Re: The End Times and Beyond

Post by Mike the Pike » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:11 am

Well, it's all (Rules and Warscroll compendiums) there now. Time to download and digest. So far it looks simple enough. How it actually plays remains to be seen.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-JP/Hom ... id=5249707

Mind you, from what I read of the article Koji posted a link too, it won't take long for the WAAC players to find all sorts of loopholes etc.
Morituri nolumus mori!

jus

Post by jus » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:36 am

Thanks for the heads up pikus. Hmm color me jus.

Waaaaait just a minute. Did teclis etc.al die? Why are they in the war scrolls.? Eeeeeee

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Wow,
Having not read almost anything about this before the last couple of days, really, it is pretty surprising. Here are some stray, possibly incorrect observations I have after reading through the rules quickly

1) It is a totally different game
2) There are no points. I guess you just decide with your partner what is fair to bring. Which sounds like it could take a long time, and be difficult to do in advance.
3) There is no difficult terrain, Just weird terrain
4) You can shoot into combat
5) Do your units have to move in some sort of coherency? I didn't notice anything in the rules.

I am interested in trying in out, but I think I will kind of miss the whole moving in formation thing that made Fantasy different from 40K or similar games. I also kind of liked the rules of the last edition (It is the only edition I have played, but anyway)

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Anyone else up for just pretending this didn't happen and just continue with 8th edition (or earlier). I own 3 different empire books already and we have all we need to play. Why change really?
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:14 pm

ashmie wrote:Anyone else up for just pretending this didn't happen and just continue with 8th edition (or earlier). I own 3 different empire books already and we have all we need to play. Why change really?
I wouldn't worry on that score, because the idea of sticking with 8th seems to be what the majority are going to do. It's a bitter-sweet thing for me- on the one hand I'm a bit saddened by this direction, on the other hand it's a relief that we know where we stand and no longer have to struggle to keep updating army books and models (provided we have what we need already). :D
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

DarkElves>All
Warrior

Post by DarkElves>All » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:32 am

This new game seems to be splitting the boards/veteran gamers 2:1 against ...and even those who have decided to play it; not many are impressed.

My worst gaming nightmare was that GW would turn fantasy into a kind of tabletop WoW ...and that's just what has happened :cry:

Modified 8th edition it is for me. I did plan on purchasing future elf (or aelf) models from GW, but if they change the scale then they have lost this customer for good.

Edit: Unless Total War: Warhammer counts as a GW purchase ...this debacle has got me properly PUMPED for that :mrgreen:
Druchii.net -- Mischief, Mayhem, Dark Elves

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:46 am

Yeah, don't sweat it guys. Not like there are 8 other editions to choose from.
"tabletop WOW", well, they are not making this stuff for crusty old guys like us, but our kids. ..... Times and aesthetics change.
"Gaming" means computer gaming to the world by and large. That's the "meta". (Is meta the right word?) To rope in new players, you need to speak their language, and that language is computer games with all their shiny, and glossy and lots of glowing bits and teleportation gates. I mean, not a lot of 12 year olds are going to get excited over this.
aldorfer.jpg
aldorfer.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 4047 times
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:17 am

Konrad wrote:I mean, not a lot of 12 year olds are going to get excited over this.
aldorfer.jpg
A postage stamp sized picture? No, I can see why they wouldn't.

At the moment I have too many games and not enough time. Adding another game to the roster doesn't help that, so I am not bothering with AoS, or WFB in any of it's previous incarnations until all the hoo-hah settles down and people figure out what they actually want to play.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:23 am

I'm rather with Lovejoy and Ashmie. I have a kid on its way and I was quite happy with the game before the End Times. I really don't have time or interest to take up this new incarnation. Maybe just to enjoy a small skirmish, but I'm probably going to stick to square bases.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:43 am

Personally, as I don't need to buy anything to be able to play, I'll be willing to give the game a go. Though, I believe our very own Hunters of Ruin has more appeal.

Re how to deal with the no points issue, I saw that one gaming group were using wound totals. Not particularly great, but an option I suppose.

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”