Age of Sigmar?

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Age of Sigmar?

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:24 am

So, the big old elephant in the room! :lol: Too soon?

What with the forthcoming release of the second edition of Age of Sigmar and its cool box o' ghosts and Still Yet More Stormcast, I tripped down the rabbit hole of looking into the state of the game, and it looks... fine? The battle reports online look fun enough (neither much deeper nor much shallower than, say, 40K, he said, damning with faint praise), the AoS2 rules are up for download at the GW site, all the unit datasheets* are totally free (under "downloads" under each model's entry on the online store), points values are all to be found on the GW warscroll builder, and rules for things like scenarios and faction-wide abilities can be found If You Know Where to Look (or, apparently, for a nominal fee on a per-army basis on the app). Quite enough to throw some models on the table and see how it works, eh?

Would anyone be interested? The ghosts in Soul Wars are very tempting, but I still do have a huge box of goblins to chuck on the table to try things out, and a 1000-point game would, by all accounts, be pretty quick to play and figure out.

*To be sure, if you want to field Tomb Kings or Bretonnians, you're SOL, as they are gone gone gone. But everything else is there!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Age of Sigmar?

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:13 am

The new ghosts are pretty cool minis and I have to admit to liking the new Balloon Dwerves (or whatever they're called these days to protect copyright). However, I suspect that AoS probably consists of rather more special rules per unit than I would normally be comfortable with. E.g. A quick glance at the free Skaven warscroll shows that Skavenslaves, arguably the worst unit in the game back in WFB have 3 special rules.
At a skirmish level of half a dozen guys/rats/gobbos a side, that's not too bad, but it does seem to be aiming for bigger games by the look of things.

Sorry to be so predictable. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Have movement trays returned? Oh. No. In which case no interest still.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:06 am

Primarch wrote:The new ghosts are pretty cool minis and I have to admit to liking the new Balloon Dwerves (or whatever they're called these days to protect copyright). However, I suspect that AoS probably consists of rather more special rules per unit than I would normally be comfortable with. E.g. A quick glance at the free Skaven warscroll shows that Skavenslaves, arguably the worst unit in the game back in WFB have 3 special rules.
At a skirmish level of half a dozen guys/rats/gobbos a side, that's not too bad, but it does seem to be aiming for bigger games by the look of things.

Sorry to be so predictable. :D
Fair enough, but I mean - one of those special rules is "the unit has a leader, he has an extra attack," another is "it also has a musician, they can move farther," and a third is "they also have shields, they get a bonus to their save against weak attacks," all stuff that would have been in a "general rules" section in a previous edition and has just been moved to the datasheet for ease of reference. The only slave-specific rule is something that lets them do wounds on nearby units as they freak out when they die. Clanrats and even Stormvermin are exactly the same - a couple rules detailing their equipment and one specific to the unit (buffs for bigger unit sizes for the former and buffs if attacking a unit smaller than their own for the latter).
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:41 am

I'm...not against AoS, its's just I dont have any minis for it, and I'm already snowed under with things to paint. So, I suppose I could be persuaded a bit down the line to look at it, but for now I have too much else to be getting on with. Put me down as a "pending" perhaps?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 am

Huh. Did you never play WHFB, MiJ? Or did you just divest yourself of your stuff? It seems odd to me that you wouldn't have played WHFB - major cognitive dissonance over here. :lol:
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:44 am

Quick trip report - me and Kondo-san tried a game of this on Sunday, just a small 1000-points Night Goblins vs Lizardmen (or, if you want to use the new lingo, Moonclan vs Seraphons, who now have the daemon keyword apparently?) matchup, and it was good fun. The Goblins play pretty much like how I remember them in WHFB (fanatics are scary but unpredictable, everything else is... predictably not at all scary, heh), and a Carnosaur ate half my army. Good times!
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:33 pm

good o :)

I was....looking at yon box set with the nurglies and the sigmarines. Don't suppose anybody would be interested in the sigmarine half of the box, were I to, perchance, buy it? Just fishing for interest at this point...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:59 am

me_in_japan wrote:good o :)

I was....looking at yon box set with the nurglies and the sigmarines. Don't suppose anybody would be interested in the sigmarine half of the box, were I to, perchance, buy it? Just fishing for interest at this point...
Hmm! On the one hand, the hippogryph riders are really cool; on the other the crossbow dudes don't excite me and I've pretty much mentally decided to get a couple starter boxes of Sylvaneth tree-dudes instead of the core set to launch my AoS career. :oops: The gardening plaguebearer on the snail is one of the more awesome models in the whole game, to be sure.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:37 pm

I was idly considering picking it up at U.K. prices (95gbp) and asking my brother to bring it over when he visits in September. Don’t suppose that’d sway your opinion any? Half of 95quid is about 7000en...

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”