Age of Sigmar?

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Age of Sigmar?

Post by The Other Dave » Mon May 10, 2021 8:50 am

The core rules are pretty simple, yeah - I believe early stages of playtesting were in fact literally just playing 40K with WHFB models and they refined it from there. That said, yes, most of the complexity comes from unit and battletome special rules and such - which, especially for the new armies, can have a lot more potential for neat interactions and chain buffing and debuffing than even 40K 9th.

I haven't played it much, of course, but most of the (often very positive) buzz about it compared to 40K is that it's even more gonzo fun while having a core ruleset that's fundamentally simpler and smoother in play than 40K, so you can get right to the fun bits. A lot of my Internet Friends say they've basically stopped playing 40K in favor of AoS.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

jus

Post by jus » Mon May 10, 2021 10:41 pm

oh cool. Great thanks. I'll take a look at a few battle tomes. I have my eye on soul blight because I have few models for it from cursed city.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:42 pm

Hmm. So thinking of AoS 3 has got me thinking about picking up the copy of Looncurse that's been gathering dust at the FLGS for a while and making my grots a bit more competitive... Plus it'd give me some more units to put towards a Living City army... :? Probably should wait until I see how 3rd edition Path to Glory shakes out, though.
-----

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:52 pm

GW has made the free section of 3rd editions rules available but currently you have to enter in your email address and then they email it to you so its a bit of a pain in the ass.

Since this is probably a scheme to collect more email addresses I'm just going to share the links I got and hopefully you guys should be able to open them too:
English
Japanese

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:48 am

Sooo, all signs point to Path to Glory being a fun-looking hybrid of Crusade and WarCry, with some Necromunda territory management thrown in (if a bit thin on level-up crunch at this stage) - so who'd be up for giving it a shot? The big decision would be what size roster to start at - 1500 points seems reasonable to me, although with all the goblins I have 2000 would also work, but I'm not too sure how big everyone's collections are.

I suppose the big worry might be that trying to do Crusade and PtG at the same time would put a strain on gaming time, but I'm of the mind that Crusade has enough players that it can probably keep momentum even if a few of us (there's what, me, Karantu, Jye, maybe Balloonacorn?) split our time between it and AoS.

(For a rules preview, 2+ Tough on YouTube has a pretty comprehensive walkthrough.)
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:04 pm

I'd still like to prioritise Crusade but will be in for playing some Path to Glory games for sure. I'm not sure how many points of Stormcast I have but with Dominion + odds and ends it should be enough.

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:38 am

Did we have any more developed thoughts about what size games we're likely to play?

I'm eyeing off the Easy To Build Stormcast stuff (specifically the ballistae) with a bit of FOMO after seeing the 8th edition 40K stuff cycle out. But I'm not sure how many I'd field, or whether I should buy AoS stuff to reach free postage or yet more 40K stuff :lol:

Karantu
Champion

Post by Karantu » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:48 am

There are points increases all across the board from AoS 2.0 so something around 1000-1500 shouldn't be too bad. If you want some AoS1.0 SCE I should still have a starter box worth kicking around.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:02 pm

I have enough gitz to do anything, but fiddling with lists and looking at battle reports it looks like 1500 is a nice manageable size that still lets you take some fun toys. (Dominion plus one more unit seems to get you there with stormcast.)
-----

Jye Nicolson
Legend

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:15 am

Karantu wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:48 am
There are points increases all across the board from AoS 2.0 so something around 1000-1500 shouldn't be too bad. If you want some AoS1.0 SCE I should still have a starter box worth kicking around.
I was about to say "don't I have your AOS 1.0 stuff?" but I have the *2.0* stuff, including the ballista in question :lol:

Looks like I should probably keep my powder dry until the Battletome hits.

Edit: ooh but the standalone ETB box has different crew so clearly a second one is necessary...

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”