Mukashi Banashi (Seb's Sculpts)

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Mukashi Banashi (Seb's Sculpts)

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 pm

must be a different Tamiya putty. The one I had was horrendous. Stank like the de'ils own bumhole, too... :?
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

me_in_japan wrote:must be a different Tamiya putty. The one I had was horrendous. Stank like the de'ils own bumhole, too... :?
Are you refering to the stuff that comes in a tube? It's garbage and it melts plastic. I think Seb is using the 2 part White Stuff they produce (comes in two sticks you have to work together like Green Stuff).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Primarch wrote:
me_in_japan wrote:must be a different Tamiya putty. The one I had was horrendous. Stank like the de'ils own bumhole, too... :?
Are you refering to the stuff that comes in a tube? It's garbage and it melts plastic. I think Seb is using the 2 part White Stuff they produce (comes in two sticks you have to work together like Green Stuff).
Yeah I use Tamiya Epoxy Smooth Surface (White Stuff), it is very similar to green stuff.

There is also Tamiya Epoxy Quick Type (Orange Stuff)

This works the same and is also good but it hardens a little faster and is more sticky so you need to have your instruments and fingers constantly moisturized to work this stuff or you will get very pissed while sculpting.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:49 pm

The master sculpt of the first Oni is done.
He comes with a Kanabou sculpted separately.
Although I sacrificed a lot of detail work on the end to get it finished faster, I am pretty satisfied with it considered it is my first try.

Size comparison to a GW model.

Miggy Smallz

Post by Miggy Smallz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid= ... =643085087

I dont know if this'll work because of my privacy settings, but that was my first attempt, using the same epoxy. This one is perfectly scaled to D&D/WH40k miniatures size, but once it hardened, I couldn't etch crap on it. I still have it, and will get back to working on it-- and making more, of course-- but the difference in our first attempts is staggering. How much drying did you do before you started chipping away at it for details?
The lions sing and the hills take flight.
The moon by day, and the sun by night.
Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Miggy Smallz wrote:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid= ... =643085087

I dont know if this'll work because of my privacy settings, but that was my first attempt, using the same epoxy. This one is perfectly scaled to D&D/WH40k miniatures size, but once it hardened, I couldn't etch crap on it. I still have it, and will get back to working on it-- and making more, of course-- but the difference in our first attempts is staggering. How much drying did you do before you started chipping away at it for details?
I don't do any chipping at all, if the putty dries then you can't get any detail on it whatsoever because it is gonna get rock solid. Basically you sculpt all the details before the putty has cured. Since it is impossible to sculpt the whole model with details and everything before the putty cures means that you will have to do a little by little, like I said; add on putty, shape and sculpt the details, repeat.

And don't forget that you need to make an armature (correct spelling?) with wire to build upon. If you don't make an armature then your model will not have the stability that you need to sculpt the details. You have to start sculpting the model as soon as you put the putty on the wire, the wire skeleton of the model gives the stability for you to work the details a little by little.

*Edit Maybe we should have a seperate thread for sculpting advice?

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Seb wrote:Yeah I use Tamiya Epoxy Smooth Surface (White Stuff), it is very similar to green stuff.

There is also Tamiya Epoxy Quick Type (Orange Stuff)

This works the same and is also good but it hardens a little faster and is more sticky so you need to have your instruments and fingers constantly moisturized to work this stuff or you will get very pissed while sculpting.
I've used both Tamiya putties and they are pretty good. I still prefer the green stuff though. The Tamiya putties are a little stickier and tear a little more easily. The greenstuff stretches better and has a better consistency.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

frans
Warrior

Post by frans » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:04 am

Impressive, even more impressive considering that it is your first try.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:35 am

That's cool. I could never have the patience for this kind of work, that's the most impressive thing I think. Shockingly good work sir.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Seb
Champion

Post by Seb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks all, I just started on my next project.

Return to “Hobby Logs”