Ash's new collection: Mithril LOTR MERP minis.

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
ashmie
Wargod

Re: Ash's new collection: Mithril LOTR MERP minis.

Post by ashmie » Wed May 23, 2012 8:33 am

You're are getting closer lads. No cigar just yet though.
Not as major a character as Beorn but important enough in his own realm. He doesn't actually get a name in the book but he has a title. If you are heading off to the Carrock from Mirkwood you are going in the wrong direction in the wilderland to meet him. He lives East of Mirkwood. Not a wizard.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Tenorikuma
Champion

Post by Tenorikuma » Wed May 23, 2012 8:47 am

Master of Laketown, if I'm allowed another guess. :D

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Wed May 23, 2012 10:43 am

Oh, good guess. The only other character I can think of is Dain II of the Iron Hills, but I'd contend that the models isn't a dwarf.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Master of Lake town is the right answer.
Which brings us to the end of our quiz and the final scores.

Ten: 3
Prim: 2
Job: 2
MIJ: 1

Ten wins three packs of Lembas. Which I will deliver to him on June 17th in Tsu.

Thanks everyone for playing. I enjoyed it. Just time for me to sign off here with news that I've booked my ticket to the 2012 Tolkien Society convention this Summer in England when I visit after my sisters wedding.

http://www.returnofthering.org/

It's one of those things like the Iron Maiden gig last year that I thought I might never get a chance to go to again. So I'm going for it. There will be a banquet and some big names will be there. Ted Nasmith, Brian Sibley, The Tolkien Professor and Tolkiens grandson. Trading floor and excursions to Tolkiens historical inspirations for the books as well as his grave and pub where he used to meet with the inklings. CS Lewis and the other chap. It will be a geek fest no doubt so I'm taking the credit card, some of my books to be signed and the name tag with Ash Bombadil printed on it. They are asking for volunteers for the event so maybe I'll offer to run a Tolkien rpg like The One Ring or something. Who knows how weird it will be. I'll report on this thread after I've been. If I'm not abducted by Nazgul before then. I promise no LARPing. ;)

Finally here are my last few purchases for the MERP collection.
Scenario books for Bree and The Shire. Check out the fold out map! :ugeek: ;)

Thanks for reading and joining this hobby blog folks.
Now where is that paintbrush? Yeah right, I wish. 8-) :? :lol:
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:21 am

Someone asked a year or so back about what is good to listen to while painting. I'd like to recommend Leaf by Niggle by JRR Tolkien Not only is it a good listen but the story is about a painter who lives in a world where building houses comes first. I thought most of us on here as hobbyists and painters could relate to it. Hope you enjoy listening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrSYIrG_JC8

If you are interested in Tolkien's stuff more then the Tolkien Prof is available on itunes uni and is worth a listen:
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/the-tol ... 13707?mt=2
http://www.tolkienprofessor.com/wp/lect ... roduction/

Hours of stuff to paint to here. :geek: :ugeek:

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Old Tom Bombadil was a merry fellow,
bright blue his jacket and his boots were yellow,
green were his girdle and breeches all of leather;
he wore in his tall hat a swan-wing feather.

Tom was undercoated chaos black. Then a little matt white army painter primer was added to highlight the model. Then colours were painted on. No more than one or two coats of the same or lighter shade. Then flocked. Finally army painter anti shine was applied.

He lived up under Hill, where the Withywindle
ran from grassy well down into the dingle.

Next month: Goldberry, the River-woman's daughter. ;)

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:57 am

He's great. Makes me wish I'd collected more LOTR..
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

AndrewGPaul
Champion

Post by AndrewGPaul » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 pm

I don't know if you already know, but Mithril Miniatures provided the event miniatures for Salute 2007 and 2008:

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:04 am

Thanks Andrew. Yes, I think I have that Nazgul mini as part of a set. Very nice.

ashmie
Wargod

Re: Ash's new collection: Mithril, LOTR, and MERP.

Post by ashmie » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:19 am

Giving a bit of threadomancy to this one. Rather than start another Tolkien thread. Quite pleased I got these done this afternoon after house stuff. My son helped me with the colours and we quite enjoyed this little project. :)

“I know these fields and this gate!” he said. “This is Bamfurlong, old Farmer Maggot’s land. That’s his farm away there in the trees.”

“One trouble after another!” said Frodo, looking nearly as much alarmed as if Pippin had declared the lane was the slot leading to a dragon’s den. The others looked at him in surprise.

“What’s wrong with old Maggot?” asked Pippin. “He’s a good friend to all the Brandy bucks. Of course he’s a terror to trespassers, and keeps ferocious dogs—but after all, folk down here are near the border and have to be more on their guard.”

“I know,” said Frodo. “But all the same,” he added with a shamefaced laugh, “I am terrified of him and his dogs. I have avoided his farm for years and years. He caught me several times trespassing after mushrooms, when I was a youngster at Brandy Hall. On the last occasion he beat me, and then took me and showed me to his dogs. “See, lads,” he said, “next time this young varmint sets foot on my land, you can eat him. Now see him off!” They chased me all the way to the Ferry. I have never got over the fright.

"Here Grip, Fang, heel!"

Return to “Hobby Logs”