The Starfall Deathblades, Eldar Corsairs

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

The Starfall Deathblades, Eldar Corsairs

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:25 pm

"But grandad, I'm not sleepy!"
The boy stood gazing out the window at the starlit sky. Both moons were up, and their tenebrous light illuminated the familar view of corn fields and occasional homesteads scattered across the landscape to the horizon. Here and there monstrous hulks, harvesters deactivated for the sleep cycle, stood idle, their shadows seeming to reach towards him, deep and impenetrable.

"Come away from the window, lad." called his grandfather. "It's gone past your bedtime, and your mother'll give you a hiding if you don't get up sharpish tomorrow. You were late for the scholam this morning, and you don't want to make her angry by doing it again tomorrow."

Grumbling, but not too much, the boy turned from the window and climbed into his bed. As the old man tucked the sheets up under his chin to keep out the seasonal chill, the servos in his left arm wheezed and groaned.

"Grandad, can you tell me a story?" He asked. "One of your stories about life in the guard!"

"Come on, Elim," came the reply, "That was a long time ago, and you know your mother doesn't like it when I talk about it."

"Aaaw, go on grandad! just a short one. Tell me one about Captain Jaq!" begged the boy. "I'll go straight to sleep after, I promise!"

The old man looked down fondly at his grandson. The boy was far too young to understand. To him, stories of life in the guard were an adventure, full of heroes and villains. He couldn't see the pain in his grandfather's eyes when he spoke about times long past. Still, it was good to see the boy's face shining with excitement, and he could leave out the gory details, to be sure...

"Ach, all right then - you've twisted me arm." The old man grinned and sat down on the edge of the boy's bed. "Right, did I ever tell you about the time when my regiment was sent to secure the Apophis system?"

The boy shook his head. "What happened?" he asked.

"Well, me and the lads had been sent in to sort out a bit of an ork problem on the fourth planet out. There had been some comms from a settlement there saying that those nasty old greenskins had come a-calling, and could your old grandad and his friends possibly come and help out a bit. Of course, we said yes."

"Of course." nodded the boy, sagely.

"Well, when we got there, we found that the comm signal was a bit too late. Unfortunately the orks had already visited the settlement, and made the usual mess that they do."

"Silly orks." grinned the boy. He knew what orks were from his grandad's other stories. Silly, smelly aliens who always made a mess of things and got in the way. His grandad had been kept very busy keeping them away from proper Emperor fearing folks during his stint in the Imperial Guard.

A thought suddenly occured to him. "But grandad, I thought this was a story aboout Captain Jaq?"

"Well, that's the thing." his grandfather continued. "The orks had certainly already been there - we could see that from the mess."

And what a mess it had been. The settlement had been a charnel house. The orks hadn't been long gone, and there were still plently of body parts left sufficently undecayed to be identifiable. A few ork limbs, even one or two whole corpses, but the majority of the reeking, rotting body chunks of meat left scattered around the little cluster of farmhouses had been undeniably human. The old man shook his head to clear his thoughts.

"Anyway, the orks had been there, but they were gone by the time we arrived. We went looking for them, of course,"

"to give them a good telling off!" interrupted the boy.

"yes, exactly so. To give them a good telling off." agreed the old man. "but we couldnt find them anywhere. We had to ask for some help from the Navy in their spaceships. Now, sometimes Navy people arent very nice, as you know, but this time around they were very helpful, and after a little while they sent us down a picture of where they thought the orks were."

"and where were they, grandad?" asked the boy.

"Not so far away. We all got into our Chimeras and trundled off to sort those orks out good and proper. Those Navy pictures showed a whole passel of em were grouped up just over the ridge nearby. Must have been three, four hundred of the devils, with their big noisy trucks and clankety clunkety dreadnaughts. Me and the lads were getting quite excited about showing them exactly who was in charge on that planet."

Excited! Hah! Crammed into the claustrophobic confines of a Chimera, blind to everything outside the vehicle, on the way to pick a fight with four hundred orks! Most of the men had been near pissing themselves with fear. It was one thing to hear how an ork can pull a man's arms off, and quite another to actually see it done to squadmates you'd known for years. Most of the men that day had been veterans of the Cairndon campaign, and knew exactly what was waiting for them over the rise. At least, that's what they had thought.

"Did you sort those orks out good and proper, grandad?" the boy's question snapped him from his reverie.

The old man's response blurted unplanned from his lips, almost a mumble. "No, we didn't."

"Eh? What happened?" In grandad's stories, he and his friends in the guard were always the winners. "Why didn't you sort the orks out, grandad?"

"Because someone else already had." replied his grandfather. "In the hour since the Navy had done their scanner pass over that valley, someone had come in, and killed every single ork there."

The boy's eyes widened.

"When we pulled over that ridge, at first we couldnt see anything. Then, the smoke cleared up a bit and we realised that the bumpetty bumpetty bump of the ground was actually a pile of dead orks, spread out all over the valley. Well, we all got out and started looking around for whatever had done this. You dont just kill four hundred orks in an hour, not unless you're a Space Marine, and we knew there were none of them in the area. Me and my squad got sent in to scout the valley. While we were walking, we noticed that all the dead orks had something unusual about them. Every single ork had something missing."

"what was it, grandad?" asked the boy.

"Their heads. Not a single one of them had a head. Now, usually I wouldn't have a problem with that, them being ugly great beasts and all, but I'll say this for orks - they're tough buggers, and hard to kill."

"grandad! you shouldnt use words like that!" the boy gently scolded the old man.

"You're quite right. I'm sorry. But still, tough they certainly are, and something had taken their heads right off, neat as you like. Well, as my boys got close to the end of our scouting route, we saw something just behind one of those big junky ork trucks I've told you about. I was first around the truck, and I'll never forget what I saw that day."

"Yes? What did you see?" whispered the boy, sitting up in bed.

"a pile of ork heads, heaped up willy nilly. And in the middle of the pile was a spear. It didn't look like no spear I'd ever seen before. It was all shiny and shimmery, and it kind of...glowed. Hung round the spear was a kind of plate, like you'd see on the front of someone's house, only it was made of the same shiny stuff as the spear. It had words on it, though. Proper Gothic words, too, although they was written in a wierd wobbly writing, like whoever had done it was copying letters he didnt know well.

"what did it say, grandad?"

"Our world, mon-keigh. Our world."
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Re: The Starfall Deathblades, Eldar Corsairs

Post by Spevna » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Ooooooo....

I am intrigued.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

jus

Post by jus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:47 am

Looking good mate! I enjoyed reading that. So, whens it coming out in audio book? :lol:

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 am

Good work. I've been writing a little as well lately. Must be us getting sentimental and old. Good writing though, keep it going. :)
I hope you will read this to Sean when he gets a bit older. It sounds well cool read with your Scottish lilt. :)
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:30 pm

MiJ productions (el speederoo division) is proud to present to you...

The 1st Eldar Corsair

Thilien Kus, Bloodguard of the Captain

Notable things about this mini:

1) He has 4 mates already built and base sprayed.
2) He was painted in a day. A DAY! ye gads! Like, 3 hours!
3) He has no gun, because he is coming to chop yer head off. (unless you're wearing terminator armour, in which case he'll let his chums with the plasma cannon deal with you :p)
4) He will have fluff, as will all non-basic infantry in my eldar army.
5) He has an unpainted skull on his shoulder pad. This will be rectified tomorrow. Meh, nobody's perfect :p

Anyway, what do folks think of the basic scheme? The red armour on the arms denotes Bloodguard (i.e. commander's retinue). basic Pirates will have the buff colour all over, but with red helmets. Vehicles will have the same colours, but maaaybe mostly red. They will also be a bit weathered n stuff, to show theyre gritty piratey eldar, not girly shiny craftworlders. Also, I'm aiming for speed painting for these guys. Strike while the iron is hot, and I actually give a damn about em, I say. I hope to churn out as many as I can before I inevitably lose interest.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Nice. I like that.

I reckon some nasty looking face tattoos/war paint/make up might be cool.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:05 am

MIJ, how about submitting this to Black Library for an example piece. It's as good as their stuff if not better and you could make a few extra bob on the side. :?: Worth a shot I reckon, it ticks all the right boxes for warhammer fiction. Good stuff.
@ Koji, your fluff writing for the Wood Elves was pretty good too how about doing the same?

I'm hoping to get a monthly literary podcast up and running in the not too distant future for amateur writers of fantasy and sci-fi if anyone is interested in reading their own work or submitting something to be read by others. It's for anyone that has anything basically. I'm hoping to add music and sound effects to the edit and have it as a monthly show. MIJ and Kojo and anyone else let me know if you would like to get involved with that. I'm thinking from September I could get it going.
Last edited by ashmie on Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:25 am

@M_i_J - Needs more gemstones! :D

Seriously though, I agree with Spevna. Tattoos or something would be aces.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Hobby Logs”