Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

They look like terminators should look.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:37 am

Meet the Scythes!

Here, then, is Strike Force Agamemnon, representing a substantial fraction of the entire fighting strength of the Scythes at the time the game is set.

It's made of three distinct strike teams:

First is Incursion Team Quaestio, whose job is to quickly move through the hive ship, identifying major objectives and taking on what enemy forces it can.

This strike team is led by a scout squad equipped with bolt pistols for close-quarter fighting, and a heavy bolter with hellfire shells. They're overseen by the commander himself, and supported in larger battles by a 5-man tactical squad element armed with a plasma gun.

Second is Strike Team Impugnatio which, lacking scouts, moves through the hive ship a bit more slowly, but is more heavily armored.

The assault squad has the codex weapons loadout for boarding actions against lightly-armored enemies dangerous in close-quarters combat; dual bolt pistols put out an impressive amount of fire at short range, and leave the marines unimpaired for close combat. They're supported by another tactical squad element, this one with a missile launcher. The missile launcher is a somewhat cumbersome weapon in the tight corridors of the hive ship, but sometimes you just need to hit something with a melta missile.

Finally is Terminator Squad Vindictam.

They are usually held in reserve on the strike cruiser, teleporting into action to support either team when it identifies an objective. This is somewhat risky, as teleportation always carries the danger of lost terminators, but with the force as small as it is, the commander reckons the ability to flexibly apply the force's strongest squad where it is needed is much more important.

And that's the project officially done! I have some filling-out of the Tyranid force to do (more mind slaves, more Termagants, and a search for proxies for Zoats and Genestealer Hybrids), and want to get models for the rare cocooned Strangers the Marines can come across, but that stuff isn't at all necessary to play or even make the game more balanced - all extra!
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 11 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:48 am

Very cool. Is the squad set up something from the book or just something you decided on yourself?

Now, how about doing a dreadnought?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:56 am

Primarch wrote:Very cool. Is the squad set up something from the book or just something you decided on yourself?
They're all straight-up squad selections from the rulebook. The only options you really get for marines are the choice of special weapon for tactical, assault and terminator squads, and choice of storm bolter or lightning claws or thunder hammer for regular terminators.
Primarch wrote:Now, how about doing a dreadnought?
Ha! They actually don't have rules for them in Advanced Space Crusade - and good luck finding a dreadnought model that would fit on a 25mm square base anyway. :D
-----

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:59 am

Good stuff.

You gonna paint up an Imperial Guard and Ork Freeboter force too?
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by Admiral-Badruck » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 am

Anyone else notice that he now has 400+ points of space marines so he can play 40k now.
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:23 am

Spevna wrote:Good stuff.

It's a thought for the future. Guard is made complicated by the fact that the army list calls for stuff like man-portable lascannons, assault squads with twin laspistols, and beastmen - a relatively large amount of stuff that's going to take either a bunch of conversions or a bunch of rules-fiddling. Orks are a bunch easier - I'm only put off by the fact that, since the orks I have have got mind slaver crabs stuck on 'em, I can't really use them as a core of a force. :lol:
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:27 am

Beastmen parts fit very well on IG bodies. I have 20 IG beastmen myself. :D
Man portable lascannons are possible if you can get some of the really old IG models.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:47 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Spevna wrote:Good stuff.

It's a thought for the future. Guard is made complicated by the fact that the army list calls for stuff like man-portable lascannons, assault squads with twin laspistols, and beastmen - a relatively large amount of stuff that's going to take either a bunch of conversions or a bunch of rules-fiddling. Orks are a bunch easier - I'm only put off by the fact that, since the orks I have have got mind slaver crabs stuck on 'em, I can't really use them as a core of a force. :lol:

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Beastmen.html

http://victoriaminiatures.highwire.com/ ... ch-raiders
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 am

Primarch wrote:Man portable lascannons are possible if you can get some of the really old IG models.
One of my dreams is finding one of the boxes of original plastic guardsmen and a bunch of the command minis with the breastplates. I thought those were some pretty cool models.

That said, all this talk of guard or orks will have to wait at least until I get some games under my belt using the marines! :lol:
-----

Return to “Hobby Logs”