Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:43 am

Coming back to this project a little bit.

Issue: While the terminator commander I painted up is pretty cool-looking, he is also hella overpowered, especially for the smaller-sized games that are actually possible to finish in a couple hours' time. (This is actually one of the reasons I haven't been pimping the game much after my initial push - having one model roll over the entire Tyranid force is Not So Fun.)

Solution: Use one of the other heroes.

Issue: The other heroes in the rules are a chaplain and a librarian, neither of which are easily available in plastic. (Looks like there exists a plastic chaplain, but only available as part of a box set, and nobody on eBay was selling singles that I could find.)

Solution: Hey, wait a minute. Wanting to be true to the RAW is all well and good, Dave, but you may be the only person on the planet collecting for it right now, and there aren't going to be any Advanced Space Crusade cops showing up at your door. So reskin! Use the Chaplain stats for, say, a Captain.

Thus:

He's not done yet, but that's the idea. Sort of makes me wish I'd gone with metallic gold rather than yellow for the whole force, it's so easy. :) I'm also working on a marine with a flamer, because while the RAW don't have one, assault squads with flamers make good sense, especially when you're assaulting a hive ship.

So hopefully I'll be in a mood to start shanghaing people into playing this game again soon, heh.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2023: 252
Miniatures painted in 2024:
Epic scale: 9 vehicles, 56 stands of infantry, a whole buncha terrain
32mm-ish: 8 infantry

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:09 am

Honestly, I prefer the yellow over the gold.
Chaplains are kit-bashable with a little work. The Chaos Marine kit has a skull faced helm and the Dark Angels kit has a power maul. A few extra purity seals here and there and a couple of aquilas stuck to the maul and you are good to go.

If you can arrange a game that is playable in 2-3 hours max, I'd be happy to give it another try. ASC isn't really a game I would devote a whole weekend to though. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:59 am

Well, he's a captain, and the Scythes are an Ultramarines successor chapter, so bling is acceptable, I reckon. :D

The smallest-sized games actually only take an hour or two to play, depending on how the Marines' card draws go. Now that I'm a bit un-cheesed for the Marines, I'll bring it along to Joshin soon.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:55 am

Speaking for myself, I have games lined up for March already and I can see April being all about 40K in the run up to NagoyaHammer, but I should be free in May. How's your schedule looking?
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:02 am

Primarch wrote:Speaking for myself, I have games lined up for March already and I can see April being all about 40K in the run up to NagoyaHammer, but I should be free in May. How's your schedule looking?
I have nothing lined up besides our March game. Tempting to see if there's interest in my using a second participation game slot at NagHams for ASC.
-----

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am

I would really like to try Space Crusade sometime. Only experience of it was a 2 level demo on my old Amstrad CPC 464 8-bit computer. It was brilliant though, and I hope I get a chance at your incarnation of it.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am

Had a couple fun games of ASC at Joshin today, against YellowStreak and Lovejoy. We played at the lowest possible points values, which seems to provide a pleasant little two- or three-hour game. I dare say I'm getting pretty close with balance - both games went to the Marines, but they each had their touch-and-go moments for the Marine player. The nature of the game is such that it'll really only be able to see how balanced things are over the scope of a bunch of games, but I think I've got it in a place where it can be good fun.

A very dead Tyranid Warrior - the dude in the yellow helmet was truly blessed by the Emperor, getting at least half the total Marine kills in YellowStreak's game, and being one of two survivors in Lovejoy's. The Warrior got his revenge in the game against Lovejoy, wiping out 4 or 5 marines, including the Captain, with some nasty Deathspitter fire.

The second game came down to this - two marines versus one Termagant. Not much of a challenge in the grand scheme of things, but on the other hand a pair of Termagants killed 4 or 5 Marines in the first game, so...
-----

YellowStreak
Legend

Post by YellowStreak » Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 pm

That guy was badass...I demand he is renamed Brother-Sgt Badass! :lol:

I thought I as toast after the Termagaunts killed 2 marines and 2 scouts on turn one...but Brother-Sgt Badass saved the day!
So many games, so little time....
Building a pile of shame since 1983

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun May 31, 2015 1:31 pm

looks fun, and also looks very aesthetically pleasing. Those clear bases were a dang good call. Tis truly a joy to see a fully painted game like that, especially a classic.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am

me_in_japan wrote:looks fun, and also looks very aesthetically pleasing. Those clear bases were a dang good call. Tis truly a joy to see a fully painted game like that, especially a classic.
It really was. I'm finding myself leaning back towards "kind of tempted" to drop the scratch for some Hive Guard "Zoats".
-----

Return to “Hobby Logs”