Torrington 1646: An historical build.

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
ashmie
Wargod

Re: Torrington 1646: An historical build.

Post by ashmie » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Good thanks mate, we've been very lucky with the weather this past month. Sunshine everyday in the early 20s. :) Enjoying it before the Japanese summer kicks in.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:37 pm

Last edited by ashmie on Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Nice.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks Job for your comments, English civil war. 1646 Torrington. Cromwells new model army.
Parliamentarian firelock in training. :)

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Keep 'im comin'! :)

It is nice to see you enjoying painting the models one at a time. Sometimes I forget that joy with all the unpainted armies. I want to to clear it out and just enjoy painting a solitary figure once in awhile.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:14 am

Cheers Job. Yep, being a batch painter traditionally with my armies I'm finding the one model at a time approach not only relaxing but enjoyable as well. Finding the painting zen now autumn is here. :)

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Hehe. Agreed. :)

But, I just dug myself a big hole when I accepted the 60 landswehr. :| It was nice to receive, but it will be awhile to paint them. I'm sure you can recall.

That, and today summer reared its ugly head again and it was stifling hot and humid today in Nagoya. :(

Anyway, one model at a time or one shade of color at time, right? :D
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:15 am

Ah the Landswehr, happy days of dipping and knocking myself out with the unventilated quicktone. :lol:
If I could paint them again I'm not sure if I would dip them. I recently found an old antique shop with some collectable historical minis. Couldn't afford them. They were brightly coloured and glossy like traditional toy soldiers. I quite like this bold, garish look and may use it more often when painting historicals.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:22 am

Yeah sometimes simplicity has a certain quality and love that something overly done can hide up or forget.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:30 am

Cromwells army in the land of the giants. Autumns coming. Got my hobby mojo working. :D
"Look out Sir, giant leaves!"

Some shots for flavour. Reenactment and evenings camp outside a Royalist siege. A small westcountry orchard, an empty cathedral chapter house at Exeter (In this case Wells) and parliamentarian colours.

The acoustics of the room are designed so that the head of each chapter (county) can sit in their respective alcove and talk to anyone in the room without having to raise their voice.

Lord Hoptons regiment: http://www.lordhoptonsregiment.co.uk/Lo ... story.html
ECW society: http://ecws.org.uk/cms/index.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Torrington I'm hoping the wiki is as precise as it makes out to be. It seems to match what I have read.

A little bit of history (updated).

The Battle of Torrington (16 February 1646) was a decisive battle of the south-western campaign of the First English Civil War and marked the end of Royalist resistance in the West Country. It took place in Torrington, Devon.

Following the success at Langport the New Model could work systematically through the South West, reducing Royalist garrisons and thus removing the King's ability to continue the war.

After Lord Wentworth's defeat at Bovey Tracey, Sir Ralph Hopton was appointed Royalist commander in the west, with Wentworth commanding the horse and Sir Richard Grenville the foot. Grenville refused to recognise Hopton's command and was arrested for insubordination and imprisoned on St Michael's Mount.

Hopton's army, numbering only 2,000 foot and 3,000 horse, advanced into Devon and occupied Torrington, where defensive works were thrown up.

The battle
The parliamentarians approached from the east on the evening of 16 February 1646. In heavy rain and with night falling, they ran into Royalist dragoons and fighting broke out to the east of Torrington. The Roundhead commander, Sir Thomas Fairfax, decided to wait until morning to reconnoitre the Royalists' defences. However, when he sent his dragoons forward to test the defences and they came under fire, Fairfax pushed more troops forward in support and a general fight developed.

The fighting at the barricades lasted two hours at push of pike. At last the Cornish infantry gave way and retreated into the town, where bitter fighting continued. A stray spark ignited the Royalist magazine in Torrington church, where eighty barrels of gunpowder were stored. The explosion destroyed the church, killed all the prisoners held there and narrowly missed killing General Fairfax.
Aftermath

The explosion effectively ended the battle, the remaining Royalist troops escaping.

Memorial
The anniversary of the battle is remembered in February each year, with a torch-lit procession and re-enactment.

Thinking further on Prim's advice regarding these numbers being unbalanced for a simulated wargame I shall build the main focus around the fight at the barricades. Not only will that be easier to recreate, it also seemed to be the crucial part of the battle that tipped the tide for the Parliamentarians historically.
When I've finished this project I'll run a friendly participation game at Center Palace for anyone who wants to join in. Control a unit each or several commanders. 4 players should be possible, more if needed. New players welcome and knowledge of the rules not essential as I shall referee the game. All being well I'm aiming for winter 2013/14. Would be nice to have it played in February to coincide with the anniversary.
Apologies for the over long post. A lot to report in one go. :)

Return to “Hobby Logs”