The Northern Crusade marches, Menoth

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
Colonel Voss

The Northern Crusade marches, Menoth

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:29 am

Tonight, I am hoping to start painting my Menoth models. Since the trade, I have been putting in a lot of thought towards how I envision this force looking like. While PP has a good color scheme for their army, I just don't feel that matches what I want, unlike Khador which I have kept mostly the same.

Looking at Menoth through both the IKRPG and the warmachine books, I've decided to take it in a different direction. PPs Menoth is a very high palladinesque color scheme. Bright white with the royal reddish/purple color. Even the zealots and lower people tend to be brightly dressed.

For my Menoth, I plan to dull down this by a great deal. First, lower level people like zealots and sisters will be primarly brown in color and dull metal for their weapons. As the Protectorate doesn't have much room for sheep grown, a more flax based color for clothing seems better. The dulling of the weapons will show that they aren't really warriors and so get the least of the equipment. The brown also shows one of the gifts of Menoth, agriculture.

For mid-tier line units like the Errant, Flameguard and such, the color will be based more on a lighter silver with a few items encased in gold or other fine colors. Their primary color is to be based on a brownish-grey color. These are the mainstay warriors are better equipped and represent the finer order of things. But they are still common rank and file. As such, they represent the gift of the wall from Menoth.

Next up are the elite units like the bastions and cinerators. These units will be fully decked out in nice colors that the other units lack. Much more gold, bronze, copper to go with their equipment. Their greys and browns will be much lighter than the two other groups or darker depending on the unit. Also there will be a slight crusader feel to their shields, each getting a heraldry. These represent Menoth's will. Not a gift but a demand.

For solos, a wide variety of color will be used depending on their relation to the above three, but also a red color of some sort will be added as a highlight. While others work together, solo's go alone and thus show their passion more. They will represent the gift of Flame.

Warcasters will have the highest detail but also the greatest decoration and color. If they are from a specific unit (Feora) then that unit's color will be added to their paint scheme. I also want to add white in some form to their colors as a highlight. The warcasters will represent the gift of Law.

Now with all of that said, one thing really stands out and that is the menofix, espcially the one the zealots carry, but also the reclaimers. I intent to make that a white marble based color. Marble has always been seen as one of the finer stones and I think it represents the gifts very well.

Warjacks are going to be based off of the middle tier mostly unless they are named in which case they will match their owners color (or in the case of the Avatar, equal to the warcasters). I also plan to name each one. To me, each warjack has a name already chosen, such is the belief in the people that these jacks are different from the ones served by the other nations.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

Colonel Voss

Re: The Northern Crusade marches, Menoth

Post by Colonel Voss » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:46 am

So now that I am settled, I started painting two examples of my models. Sadly, a lot of the paints I wanted to use didn't survive the multiple moves.

As a minor warcaster, a bit of white color is added and the basic gold and brass is used over the brown and green-grey colors

Our solo has a bit of red to distinguish that they are separate. Same browns, gold and brass but minus the white

It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without

The Underdweller
Legend

Post by The Underdweller » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:39 am

You have an interesting rationale for your color scheme! I wont be getting them mixed up with mine, for sure. Is that the new Journeyman Warcaster? I guess he doesn't rate a mask yet? It's pretty rare to see anyone's face in the Protectorate!

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 pm

You've made a nice start. A few washes and the white bits filled in and they'll look great. :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:07 pm

And you have definitely put a lot of thought into the paint scheme. It is sometimes a bit daunting when picking colours. The test models will really help. Good luck and I look forward to seeing them all finished. :)

Return to “Hobby Logs”