Auran 81st

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Auran 81st

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:11 pm

ahah, I see. You're right to be cautious, as I've been burned on that front myself in the past, but it's by no means an insurmountable problem. I've airbrushed in 3 different environments. The first (and least successful) was in a rented apartment. I had a 4ish tatami room for hobby stuff, but I didnt set up a spray booth. I had a desk, and a fan set up blowing air out an open window. Kiiiiinda worked, but when I came to clean the apartment when I moved out, every single horizontal surface in that room had a fine layer of painty dust on it*.

The second place I airbrushed (and the set up I suggest for you) was in a rented house. Again, I was fortunate enough to have a dedicated hobby room (2, in fact), but the system would work for any apartment or whatever. I built my own extractor unit, which, while not pretty, kept the room immaculately clean. I know this because, again, when it came to mega-souji before we moved out, the room was clean as a whistle. What I did was:

I bought a kitchen wall extractor fan from K's denki. It cost a few thousand yen. These are the fans you see in kitchen walls for sucking out oily cooking fumes and suchlike. It was about a foot square, and 3 or 4 inches deep. Using cheap, thin plywood (bought from the hardware store for about 1000yen for a huuuuge 2m x 1m piece) I built a trapezoidal shaped extractor hood with a bit sticking out the back that fit as closely as I could get it to around the fan casing. This whole assembly was perched in an open window. I made sure to protect the window frame and desk surface with some newspaper, and closed the curtain over the top of the hood to ensure all air-suck was through the hood. et voila - an extractor unit that you can put up and take away in less than a minute.

The final extractor option is to get a 35 year mortgage and build an entire house and custom designed room around your extractor fan of choice. This is what I have now, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it :lol:

Anyway, I really really think an airbrush would be very helpful to you. It's a really useful tool. It aint a miracle worker, and it will not, contrary to popular belief, allow you to paint entire armies in no time, but it will allow you to get a lot of tanks base coated very fast, and also do cool shit like zenithal highlighting, weathering (this is FUN!) and camo markings really easily and with minimal fuss.

I'll see if I can find any pics of my extractor hood from my previous place. I'm pretty sure I have some somewhere. If I find em, I'll edit them in here.

*edit* meh, not the best pic, but you can see the booth on the left, atop the desk. You can see it's just a few bits of wood (stuck together with glue when doable, masking tape and a wee hinge where an angle was necessary), on top of another (separate) piece of wood on a desk. It actually sticks out of the window by a couple of inches, and the fan unit sits neatly on the window sill.

and some da-vinci-esque works of art to perhaps illustrate what I did...

Hope that helps :)

* You'll find that airbrush paint is very powdery if you get it on anything except the mini you're painting. It brushes right off with a fingertip. The reason for this is that it's a very fine mist when it comes out the brush nozzle. As long as it hits a surface close to the nozzle (i.e. your mini) it will still be wet, and therefore stick to it, creating a layer of paint. However, if it doesnt hit anything it'll kinda fly off into the void. Being so small and finely misted means it dries out into a fine powder within a second or so. Thus, your room doesnt get covered in paint - it gets covered in fine powder. This is why we wear dust masks when airbrushing :) (Trust me on this. I have had sufficient blue/purple/black booger experiences to put me right off breathing airbrush muck.)

*edit* oooooor, you could just buy a spray booth. Whatever suits best :D
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Wow. And then Corona happened. Just....crickets, all the way through to 2023...

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:58 pm

Wow, great post! The mspaint art may not be da vinci, but it gets the point across, haha.

Looks like I might have to do some more shopping, eh. The one tank I hand painted took a few days, and I have about 20 to go (not even getting into the quality of the work). I don't suppose you have a recommendation for a brush and compressor?
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Iwata brushes are great. I'll check the exact model, but mine is certainly an Iwata. They have a reputation for being a bit pricey, but that rep is from the US. Here in their homeland they're not too bad at all. As for compressors, I can't remember, but I'll have a look at the one I've got.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Hollie Mollie! That is awesome, Dekana. I have to say you might have more tanks in your collection than I have for my German army at 15mm.

An airbrush is a good idea, but I also hate to bring up the question of moving it all. I'd suggest to start thinking of a boxes, foam or carry cases that might fit all or most of what you want to play with at events like NagHam.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:45 pm

I have a pair of bags to move everything around now, though I still have to pluck the foam out (yuck).

Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Post by Mike the Pike » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:35 am

:shock: wow!
That's quite the armored regiment you've got there mate. Cool!
I would definitely second MiJ's advice about getting an airbrush. It'll make your armored horde more 'fun' and less of a chore.
I like the Raging Heroes (?) models too.
Morituri nolumus mori!

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:21 am

I'm done assembling the Auran 81st, at least until I get the last shipment of Raging Heroes stuff. Here are some pictures before I start ruining the models with paint. I'll also note how I plan to use the models.

---

Enough troops for 9 infantry squads plus 2 platoon command squads. They can alternatively stand in for conscripts or veterans, although I'm still due to receive some different Raging Heroes models later that I'll use for veterans and stormtroopers.

---

Guardswomen with sniper rifles.

---

Guardswomen with medikits.

---

Sergeant Harker.

---

Priests. I'm not sure which of the two models I want to use yet; the one on the left is dressed a little more for the part, but I like the winged helmet of the one on the right. The Aurans seem to have a thing for animals, so the winged helmet fits the theme of the army slightly better.

---

From left to right: Commissar, Lord Commissar, Commissar Yarrick.
The Lord Commissar is the only GW model in the army besides the vehicles.
Lady Yarrick doesn't look quite as badass as the man himself, but I'm using this model since she has a power klaw (kind of).

---

Astropaths and Primaris Psykers.

---

Servitors.

---

Ratlings. They're awfully cute.

---

From left to right: Colonel Strakken, Lord CREEEEEEED, Sergeant Kell, Master of Ordnance.

---

Tank Commander... maybe. I'm not sure I like this model as a tank commander.

---

Commander Pask.
Last edited by Dekana on Mon May 14, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 am

I'm drooling at work over your minis. I can't help it if they flaunt all that stuff. I'm kicking myself for not joining this.
Models Painted, 2020
70 28mm miniatureS

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Ooh, suits you, sir.

A very impressive collection, and well proxied, too - all clear as to what they're meant to be, and very nice, thematic minis.

As for getting them all painted, well...

Mwahahahahahahahahah!!

Best of luck wi' that :twisted:

jus

Post by jus » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Omg they are so much cooler than my cadians!

If you are interested i have an airbrush if you're interested

Return to “Hobby Logs”